Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am considering upgrading from my Kawasaki Ninja 250R (which I love). I sat on the new R3 on Saturday and it felt really good. I really like the fact that it has abs and I also like the lightness of it. I am torn between the Yamaha and a Harley Davidson 883 Sportster. I know.. couldn't have two more different rides but I'm feeling so confused. I'm no youngster (57), vertically challenged and weigh 120 pounds - and female. Am I too old for an R3?? Would it be difficult to change to a cruiser style after the Ninja? Prior to the Ninja I rode a Honda CB400 Superfour. Sorry for all the ?? but this is a huge decision for me!!:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, looks like I may have posted in the wrong place. Could it be moved please?

·
Registered
48 Posts
As a newbie on two wheels ( Almost haha )
i can only say that i have SOOO Njoyéd my 4800km on this R3

If you are still game on a sport bike the R3 is a decent one..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
To old? Lol no. There are people I know who ride fast on anything from N300's to S1000s in the canyons. In fact it seems the really fast guys out here are old. An R3 would be just fine for you, especially if you already have experience on a N250. Its got a bit mre power but it certainly will not overwhelm. You are bumping up 71cc, not 350cc.

As far as the Harley, that is personal choice. I rode a cruiser for a whopping 27 miles and knew there and then it wasnt for me.

My wife is 5'5", around 110 lbs. She cannot flat foot the R3 but has no trouble moving it around the garage. Granted thats not a very good cmparison since she has never ridden it, but I was just trying to show how light and easy it is to maneuver. Again, since you have experience with the N250, this shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hopefully this will help out. I'm vertically challenged, 5'nothing. I will need to lower the bike for my comfort but i am able to handle it stock height. The weight is very manageable. The clutch and brake levers are a little further away so I will be changing those. Other than that I love the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the positive input.. starting to feel excited, am actually going to pop into the Yamaha dealer tomorrow to ask them to put one aside for me!!!!! The only colour option here in South Africa is blue but I really like it.. also love the fact that it has abs :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not a sport bike person but have been looking at the R3 with my son. Don't tell him but I even test rode the R3. I'm a 44 yr old female. My experience is with cruisers/bobbers and dirt bikes. My dream bike had always been an 883 but I found the Yamaha Bolt in 2014 and ended up buying it over my dream bike because I felt it was a better bike. The R3 was a new experience and very enjoyable for the short time I was on the bike. I am now trying to come up with ways to convince my son to let me ride the R3 when he gets one this spring. I can see an R3 in my future so that I can keep up with my son in the Hills.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Thanks so much for the positive input.. starting to feel excited, am actually going to pop into the Yamaha dealer tomorrow to ask them to put one aside for me!!!!! The only colour option here in South Africa is blue but I really like it.. also love the fact that it has abs :)
If you live in or near Cape Town, or can do a ride there, The Coast Road would be an awesome ride on an R3!

If you're in Jo'burg, the N2 or R102 on the East Coast and the R22 in the N.E. would be great as well.

Enjoy the R3!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Definitely not too old for it
The owner of the bike shop I got my bike rides daily on a R1. From his hair/facial complexity I bet he's between 60-70. You can tell he's not as nimble to walk already but he still rides the liter monster every day

·
Registered
123 Posts
My dad is 67 and rides the R3 almost as much as I do. It's a great compromise between comfortable and sporty for the gray-haired demographic. Forget the Harley!

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I am not a sport bike person but have been looking at the R3 with my son. Don't tell him but I even test rode the R3. I'm a 44 yr old female. My experience is with cruisers/bobbers and dirt bikes. My dream bike had always been an 883 but I found the Yamaha Bolt in 2014 and ended up buying it over my dream bike because I felt it was a better bike. The R3 was a new experience and very enjoyable for the short time I was on the bike. I am now trying to come up with ways to convince my son to let me ride the R3 when he gets one this spring. I can see an R3 in my future so that I can keep up with my son in the Hills.
Grrl Power Rules!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Ablaze! I think the R3 would be a lot of fun in the hills.. hope you get one to add to your garage :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you live in or near Cape Town, or can do a ride there, The Coast Road would be an awesome ride on an R3!

If you're in Jo'burg, the N2 or R102 on the East Coast and the R22 in the N.E. would be great as well.

Enjoy the R3!
Thanks FangShui! I live in Cape Town and we are blessed with the most awesome rides possible.. winelands, mountains, coastal.. can't wait to introduce them to the R3 :laugh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dad is 67 and rides the R3 almost as much as I do. It's a great compromise between comfortable and sporty for the gray-haired demographic. Forget the Harley!
Good to hear as I am most definitely in the gray haired demographic.. no time to be dying my hair.. would rather be on my bike!! What Harley?? :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts