• Over 10 years experience

Votes: 48 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been riding for almost 50 years.....I'm a definite greybeard!! Have a collection of bikes from 250cc on up to 1450cc. I'm relearning how much fun a small light bike is.....loving the R3!!
:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Grew up riding quads, no comparison there. Picked the bike up 8/5 and already have 530 miles clocked, and all the confidence in the world! Glad I got the R3 and not the R6 lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
My R3 is my second bike, been riding for 3 years now. Started on a CBR 125R =D Bought mine three to four weeks ago and I got 1300 km on it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Riding street bikes since 1991. Never rode in the dirt (on purpose ;) ). Missed some time due to non-moto injuries, but my skills are starting to come back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rode a new street 500 at msf class. Hated it. The bike, not the class.

First bike. VERY (if there was a way to capitalize already capitalized letters I would) basic wrenching skills.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Riding since 1991. Started racing in '92. Had to take a LONG time off from racing because of school. Got back on the track about 6 years ago. Tried track days. Found them extremely boring compared to racing. So I went racing on a SV650.

Switching over to the R3 for next years season. No street bike for me. It is just to dangerous out there on the open road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's interesting to see the riding times since this is a "beginner bike." I know a lot of people who want this for a track bike.

·
Registered
414 Posts
16 Yrs, been riding since I was 15. First bike on the road was Yamaha DT 175. So I could get around and go find some mean off road tracks and jumps. Currently have the R3.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Seems like alot of new riders blooming recently ... anyone know whats the reason for the rise in popularity?
My theory (observation over the years) is that more women are starting to ride. And as we ALL know, men go where the ladies are. Ever notice how they don't have "men's night" at the local bar?.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been riding for 24 years and I've heard "more women are starting to ride" pretty much every single year since then. 'Scuse me if I have my doubts about that. I'm really not seeing it out on the road, in fact if anything I'm seeing slightly fewer women now than, say, 8-10 years ago.

The R3 is a learner-friendly-ish bike, so it'll attract more noobs than bigger bikes. Salespeople will steer new riders to smaller displacement bikes, and if they got good advice (not common, but it happens :rolleyes: ) they'll steer themselves there, too.

More than anything, the fact that the manufacturers are once again importing lightweight bikes to the USA may actually increase the number of women riding, just because there are finally bikes that fit us on the showroom floor. As I said in the other thread - I can't begin to say how refreshing it is to be able to pull up to a stoplight on a hill and not worry about whether I'm going to be able to hold the bike up without my foot slipping - how many more parking spots are available to me with the R3. Those kind of considerations make the R3 attractive not only to smaller riders, but also to newer riders who don't have the experience to know how to set up for a stop or choose the best place to stop or park.

Really what's (slightly) surprised me about this poll is how many experienced riders there are here. It's just a really fun bike. The (fairly) light weight makes it handy for errands, but it's streetable enough for touring. And we've been riding long enough that we don't need to go a-rhumpty-ump-scumpety-nump miles an hour any more ... BTDT, it's cute a few times, but the real fun is going 65 through a turn marked 30, and the R3 is a most excellent bike for that. :D

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Seems like alot of new riders blooming recently ... anyone know whats the reason for the rise in popularity?
I'd say it's mostly because the manufacturers are beginning to sell small displacement motorcycles once again.

For several decades evryone was really pushing 600cc bikes as "Beginner's Bikes" and smaller bikes just sat un-sold on the dealership showroom floors, so they stopped importing them into the U.S.

It helps that the smaller bikes are more user friendly, weight and seat-height wise, for women and for shorter riders who may be a bit "Inseam-challenged".

I wish Honda would bring it's 4-cylinder CB400 into the U.S. It's an awesome bike!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been riding since 97. Mostly commuting with the occasional track day. Got tired commuting on my R1 and decided to get something more comfortable and economical and save the big gun for for more track days. Really loving the R3 so far.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I started riding legally on the streets in 1981. That's when I turned 16.
Since then, in 34 years I've amassed nearly 300.000 miles. ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've been riding since 1986 and i'm 67 at the end of this year(am i the oldest member on this forum ?)
bikes i've owned
Honda CB125twin
Honda CX500
Yamaha XJ900
Yamaha XS400 US Custom
1955 Ariel KH 500 Hunter
Honda 400 Four
1971 Ural 650
HD 883r
HD 1200 Custom
HD Heritage Softail Classic (still got it)
HD XR1200x Sold to make way for the R3

·
Registered
856 Posts
Ive been riding since 1973 and racing off road since 1976, road racing since 2013.

Last year I was beaten by a girl riding 2 yrs, and a Junior in their first senior year.
Road Experience means nothing when it comes to racing,
wish i'd skipped the whole 30 yrs wasted road riding bit, all it develops is bad habits, wasted money, and hospitals

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I've been riding since 1986 and i'm 67 at the end of this year(am i the oldest member on this forum ?)
bikes i've owned
Honda CB125twin
Honda CX500
Yamaha XJ900
Yamaha XS400 US Custom
1955 Ariel KH 500 Hunter
Honda 400 Four
1971 Ural 650
HD 883r
HD 1200 Custom
HD Heritage Softail Classic (still got it)
HD XR1200x Sold to make way for the R3
That's an eclectic mix of bikes!

I think there is a Forum member in his 70s, but haven't seen a post from him in quite a while, so you may just NOW be the oldest member, if you get my drift. ;)

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Hey folks!! There's a little over a week before the poll closes, so please 'vote' soon. There have been almost 2000 views, but only 114 votes - you lazy bunch of slackers!!

The purpose of this poll is to get a better idea of who uses the forum, so information and topics can be tailored to serve you better.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
i used to ride everyday, and 'honed' my skill weekly, now i just ride whenever i feel like, and if it is not raining. <5 years

21 - 40 of 70 Posts