Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So these forums have been really informative about the capabilities of the R3, and have helped me check off a lot of boxes about whether or not to buy this bike. And I have to say that it's really great that there is a core group of experienced riders that take the time to answer questions for people that haven't been there and done that yet.

I'm pretty excited about making this my first bike and have fended off a bunch of people who think its a bad idea (people that say a Harley is the only bike a real man would get, that I'd get bored with anything less than a 600cc race replica, and people that say anything faster than a Vespa is suicidal, etc.).

Work will have me moving out to Vancouver for a couple of years and I'm pretty keen on exploring the west coast (I've been sketching out trips that go as far south as San Diego, as far north as Terrace BC). And I haven't found anything in the forums, and I did use the search function (albeit briefly), that touches on my question;

If you were to throw a couple of bags on the bike, and my fat 230 lbs, how would this bike do pulling up mountains and at altitude? I've seen some threads that touch on riding the Appalachians, but the Rockies are a different game (and it shows in the skiing!).

Hope everyone has a great NYE.

Cheers,

·
Registered
433 Posts
hey I live in the lower mainland about 30 km outside of vancouver, done the duffy lake loop a couple of times on the r3 which is probably the most common canyon ride for the local street riders and the r3 manages itself pretty decently on the up hill climbs, sure it could have a bit more pull, I maxed it out at about 170 km/hr on some of the straights an it goes without saying that it is more than capable in the twisty sections

I weigh in the 220 range so pretty heavy guy I never had luggage or tank bags on the r3....checkout bcsportbikes forum lots of well seasoned canyon carvers have posted their trips on there

cheers!

edit: the duffy lake loop is from vancouver to lillooet, you travel up the sea to sky through pemberton past duffy lake into lillooet and then you can ride back down the same way or come through hwy 1 chilliwak area

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I live in Pennsylvania near the Appalachian foothills. At #185 pounds un-geared, this bike pulls strong for me up any hill in this area and beyond the speed limit. The speed and acceleration of this bike does not excite me, but the power is more than sufficient for any climbing I could ever throw at it.
This bike won't rumble under your nuts like a Harley or pull up the front wheel like a 600cc super sport. It will be every bit as much fun as any scooter with more power and speed to make it a really fun bike to ride. You can cruise all day on this bike without taxing the engine and the twisties is where this bike shines the most!

·
Registered
227 Posts

the mountain pass route starts 2:44

I go through similar route like this 2-3times a week as my work commute
someone did the video for car few years back but give you an idea how curved the mountain pass is with highspeed(most of the people are driving way above speed limit), and not having respect for each other's space(I keep letting others to pass me when going downhill, bike don't respond well to slow and turn in the same time there)

the bike is pretty much all stock(except windscreen now) that is capable of doing fast enough to get pass everyone easy there. Alot of turns there that I keep my bike in 7k rpm or so for stable turn. Definitely a good bike that I can make a lot of mistake and still stay within lane for this route. I probably crashed a few times already if I've gotten a larger bike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live on a volcanic island full of absurdly steep mountain roads (They don't really have regulations on how steep roads can be here). I weigh 205 lbs for reference. As soon as I take delivery I'll report back in this thread and post some gopro footage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
At high altitude it will climb hills just fine, but expect to drop some gears. You won't be able to keep the rpms low, but if you wind it up a bit it does just fine.

I'm talking over 9k ft BTW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts