Yamaha R3 Forums banner

MT-03 Bars on an R3

25K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Benz 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what it would take to install a set of MT-03 handlebars on our R3 for those of us of a certain vintage who wouldn't mind a bit more upright riding position. I went on the Indonesia Yamaha site and went through the parts fiche picking out all the pieces needed including cables, etc. Surprisingly the parts only came out to $63 or 876,000 Indonesian Rupiahs. I'm sure by the time the order got here it would be at least double. Seems like all the parts are available except the dampers where the bar mounts go through the top clamp (handle crown they call it). Anybody have a reliable source for parts over there? Could be Japan, Indonesia or Thailand or ?.

Marc

#9 ·
I had the same list of parts quoted by japan.webbike and they came back with $242 which I believe includes shipping. This price seems more reasonable than the $63 listed on the Indonesian quote even considering the addition of taxes and shipping. We're talking top clamp, bar supports, handlebars, both cable sets, brake line and attaching parts. I think I'll go with the webbike quote.

Marc

#10 ·
Anybody interested in going in with me on a set of OE parts to use the MT-03 bars? There are 14 part#s and on the japan.webbike they want $245 for the parts plus $74 shipping. If I order $175 more in parts the shipping is free. If someone else is interested I will order two sets so we both save shipping. I tried to get a quote from KD Racing in Bangkok and Probike in Jakarta but neither of them has responded. So, anybody up for it?

Marc

#14 · (Edited)
The parts from order date till received was only something like 6 days via Express Mail Service out of Japan. I installed everything Saturday night and just took a test ride today. Depending on where you have the bars positioned they are raised by over an inch and back about the same. They are also angled a bit straighter. For me the result is perfect. I'm now in a completely neutral position with maybe a slight forward lean that offsets the wind blast. Really ideal. Another side effect is that the bike turns easier as my weight isn't as much on the bars making it easier to counter steer. The bike feels like a mini-motard now :) Really fun! And they do look cool!

The cost of the parts plus shipping out of Japan did run about $300 so not cheap. I tried to get them from the dealer in Jakarta for $60 plus shipping but he kept dragging his feet.

Installation was pretty straight forward. You do need access to a big vise or a press since you have to press in the handlebar rubberized mounts into the top clamp. The rest of it was just swapping parts. I bought the throttle cables since the part#s were different but turned out I didn't need them. The originals worked fine. You do have to use the MT-03 clutch cable and brake line since they're longer or you could get an aftermarket brake line I would imagine. You also have to drill out the two screws that mount the ignition switch to the top clamp. They are security screws and have no way to unscrew them. That only took a few minutes to do and I had a couple of spare screws laying around that fit. Next I'm going to shop around for a couple of regular mirrors and get rid of the fairing mounted ones.

All and all a worthwhile project.

#18 ·
The parts from order date till received was only something like 6 days via Express Mail Service out of Japan. I installed everything Saturday night and just took a test ride today. Depending on where you have the bars positioned they are raised by over an inch and back about the same. They are also angled a bit straighter. For me the result is perfect. I'm now in a completely neutral position with maybe a slight forward lean that offsets the wind blast. Really ideal. Another side effect is that the bike turns easier as my weight isn't as much on the bars making it easier to counter steer. The bike feels like a mini-motard now :) Really fun! And they do look cool!

The cost of the parts plus shipping out of Japan did run about $300 so not cheap. I tried to get them from the dealer in Jakarta for $60 plus shipping but he kept dragging his feet.

Installation was pretty straight forward. You do need access to a big vise or a press since you have to press in the handlebar rubberized mounts into the top clamp. The rest of it was just swapping parts. I bought the throttle cables since the part#s were different but turned out I didn't need them. The originals worked fine. You do have to use the MT-03 clutch cable and brake line since they're longer or you could get an aftermarket brake line I would imagine. You also have to drill out the two screws that mount the ignition switch to the top clamp. They are security screws and have no way to unscrew them. That only took a few minutes to do and I had a couple of spare screws laying around that fit. Next I'm going to shop around for a couple of regular mirrors and get rid of the fairing mounted ones.

All and all a worthwhile project.

That looks like an expensive neighborhood!

#22 ·
Hi Marc. I saw your post on this forum that you successfully put the MT-03 triple clamp and bars on your R3. Ive had no luck locating the part numbers for the Triple Clamp, Extended Brake Line and Clutch Cable. Can you send me via email a list of all the part numbers I need? It would be greatly appreciated. **** I only subscribed hoping you would be nice enough to provide this info!

From your post I need

Handle Bar
Triple Clamp
Brake Cable
Clutch Cable

Correct?
I cant PM yet so I cant send you a message with my email

#23 ·
The MT-03 is sold in Mexico. Riders who want to make the conversion can order the parts from a Yamaha dealer on the border and ride down to Mexico to pick them up. I doubt if Yamaha Mexico will have all of the necessary parts in stock in the Mexico City warehouse, so they may have the parts shipped in from Japan, so figure a 4-6 week delay, but worth a phone call to find out. Anyway the good news for Americans is the MXN peso has tanked against the USD the last two years so now the exchange rate is around 18:1.

Or you can order the parts from a Yamaha dealer in Guadalajara, Jalisco and I can bring the parts to Texas in late July to ship to your address in the US. Just another option.

Attachments

#24 ·
If anyone is interested I collected all the parts from overseas for the swap, but I got offered a great deal on a new FZ-07 so I wont be needing the parts. I have them on ebay at the moment. Im just looking to get back what I paid. $275 plus shipping

015-17 Yamaha MT03 Parts
Handle Bar
Triple Tree
Bushings
Bar Clamps
Plastic Bolt covers
Clutchline (longer then R3)
Stainless Front Brake Line

Attachments

#25 ·
If anyone is interested I collected all the parts from overseas for the swap, but I got offered a great deal on a new FZ-07 so I wont be needing the parts. I have them on ebay at the moment. Im just looking to get back what I paid. $275 plus shipping

015-17 Yamaha MT03 Parts
Handle Bar
Triple Tree
Bushings
Bar Clamps
Plastic Bolt covers
Clutchline (longer then R3)
Stainless Front Brake Line
How do I find your listing on E-Bay?

#35 ·
For marcparnes

Hi marc -

" You do need access to a big vise or a press since you have to press in the handlebar rubberized mounts into the top clamp."

How did you finally install those?
I worry about a vise or press putting all the pressure on the center part of the bushing and damaging the rubber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.