Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
It will be interesting to see how it sells in the US. Although I have been gone from the US 13 years, I seem to remember that naked bikes were less popular than cruisers or crotch rockets. The only mods my '17 MT-03 required were fork spring upgrade/heavier fork oil along with a decent rear shock. Nothing more.
Whenever I get the itch for a new bike I go for a ride on the MT and that itch is gone. The perfect road bike for spirited day rides or light sport touring. And of course the incredible quality of Yamaha engineering. If someone were to offer me the new Yamaha Tenere 700 or the MT-03 at the same price, I would go with the MT, I just like it that much. Or I may take the 700 Tenere, then sell it and buy two MT-03's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think nakeds have gained a lot of traction in recent years especially with the MT-07's and 09's being cheaper than others.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
If the MT-03 had been here when I bought my R3, I probably would have gotten it. At this point, I'm not super interested since I have an R3 but it's nice to see it finally come over.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Excited to see the MT-03 coming over here to the states. The big debate for me is I'm looking for a "smaller" bike to complement my R6 should I go with the MT-03 or MT-07?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Excited to see the MT-03 coming over here to the states. The big debate for me is I'm looking for a "smaller" bike to complement my R6 should I go with the MT-03 or MT-07?
If you can afford the MT07 then there's no point getting the MT03. You save 15kg, but that's it. As someone who's owned an R3 and now owns at MT07, I can say that the MT07 is one of the best bikes I've ever owned. It has such a good motor and to give that up just to save a few kg's wouldn't be worth it.

I'm not sure how much you love your R6, but the MT07 would give it a run for it's money it terms of fun factor.

However, if budget was an issue, the MT03 would be a great little bike.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you can afford the MT07 then there's no point getting the MT03. You save 15kg, but that's it. As someone who's owned an R3 and now owns at MT07, I can say that the MT07 is one of the best bikes I've ever owned. It has such a good motor and to give that up just to save a few kg's wouldn't be worth it.

I'm not sure how much you love your R6, but the MT07 would give it a run for it's money it terms of fun factor.

However, if budget was an issue, the MT03 would be a great little bike.
I think the advantages of the MT-03 over the MT-07 are the cost of insurance and cost of speeding tickets, a vicious cycle.

It's a tough choice and depends on your circumstances. My ride time was cut drastically a couple of years ago, so the MT-03 has been a good choice in my case. If I had the option to ride whenever I wanted, then I would go MT-07.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Or pick up another R3, being it was my first bike it'll always have a soft spot in my heart. Maybe wait and see when Yamaha does another refresh in a couple of years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts