Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a few mods on my MT-03 and want to show you how they look. Before I did them I tried to find pictures of an moded MT03 but it was really hard to find something.
If you are experiencing the same problems, I hope I can help you with these pictures. If you have any questions ask me. If you have tips for me go ahead and post them!

So the first thing I did to my MT-03 ist getting rid of the ugly license plate holder and those stock turn signals. I used the parts from the official Yamaha site. The license plate holder is the one from the R3.

My next addition was an Akrapovic Slip On. I didnt really like the sound of the original and it didnt look good. The new Exhaust isn't much louder, but it sound way better. In particular when driving with low rpm.

Next thing was the reflective rim tape. Very cheap and you can find it on amazon. 17'' reflective rim tape GP in white. It is not legal in Germany but I think my own safety is more important than unnecessary rules. Other cars will see you way better.

After that I added the MT-03 Tankpads from Yamaha ( I couldn't find any other tankpads. Seems like it is not worth it to produce them for this model.) The tankpads are **** in my opinion and only serve for cosmetics. Also they did send me wrong instructions and pictures of the MT-03 WITHOUT the stickers! And they are quite expensive! 40€
Also i have to admit, that I f**ked it up, adding them to my tank. They are still "useful" placed, but dont line up with the tank. Thank you Yamaha for not sending instructions. I am to stupid to do it on my own.

Last addition was the passenger seat cowl. I dont like driving with passengers and holding grips ruin the bike. So ugly. I bought the expensive cowl from Yamaha cause I am an idiot (170€ i think) and they come with small plastic parts to replace the grips. The thing is, they dont have the same colour as the rest of the bike! They aren't black for the black version! They are grey. Same as the grey line on the tank. Yamaha... You could have done better.. for that amount of money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
looks great, I am thinking of getting the MT03 and would be happy if it looked like yours. The rear hand holders for pillion is the first thing I would remove. Fugly.
Cheers and safe riding......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats on the slippery slope of modding.

Instead of tank pads, I just did a vinyl wrap on the centre of the gas tank. I didn't think the side pads were worth it, and certainly not needed with the shape of this tank. I will upload a pic of it soon. I really just wanted my jacket zipper to stop scuffing the paint on the tank, so this was the perfect aesthetic solution and cost less.

The rear seat cowl (black) has to be ordered based on your bike year (and the proper part number). It's possible the wrong part number was ordered. If the colour match is unbearable, maybe that could be fixed with wrap to match the tank also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That wrap looks good and different. Can you advise where you found it, please?

In Canada, I have a national retailer that carries it.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN-Zy4zJwtMCFU-EYgodmK4EMA

It came with the applicator and enough to wrap the tank. I took the sides off and just re-mounted the centre tank piece on the bike to apply the wrap starting from the gas cap and worked down the hard/compound areas first with heat.

I covered the entire tank insert as a one-piece - except for the concave area where it bolts to the frame at the triple. For that area, I cut a small section of wrap making sure to match the grain direction of the rest of the wrap.

Definitely get the cheap stuff if this is your first try working with it. Just try to do as much of it with minimal heat, and work it in 2-3cm sections.

Remove it from the bike to trim. I used an X-acto knife with a very sharp blade. I used the edges of the piece as a guide (leaving about 10mm of wrap around the backside of the part. The final step is to use heat on the edges and compound areas to "relax" some of the areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello from Greece! I have a MT 03 too! i have one question for you,when you buy the full system of akrapovic do you go at dyno to "re-write yous fuel injection" or no?????
I'm really sorry for my English guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did a few mods on my MT-03 and want to show you how they look. Before I did them I tried to find pictures of an moded MT03 but it was really hard to find something.
If you are experiencing the same problems, I hope I can help you with these pictures. If you have any questions ask me. If you have tips for me go ahead and post them!

So the first thing I did to my MT-03 ist getting rid of the ugly license plate holder and those stock turn signals. I used the parts from the official Yamaha site. The license plate holder is the one from the R3.

My next addition was an Akrapovic Slip On. I didnt really like the sound of the original and it didnt look good. The new Exhaust isn't much louder, but it sound way better. In particular when driving with low rpm.

Next thing was the reflective rim tape. Very cheap and you can find it on amazon. 17'' reflective rim tape GP in white. It is not legal in Germany but I think my own safety is more important than unnecessary rules. Other cars will see you way better.

After that I added the MT-03 Tankpads from Yamaha ( I couldn't find any other tankpads. Seems like it is not worth it to produce them for this model.) The tankpads are **** in my opinion and only serve for cosmetics. Also they did send me wrong instructions and pictures of the MT-03 WITHOUT the stickers! And they are quite expensive! 40€
Also i have to admit, that I f**ked it up, adding them to my tank. They are still "useful" placed, but dont line up with the tank. Thank you Yamaha for not sending instructions. I am to stupid to do it on my own.

Last addition was the passenger seat cowl. I dont like driving with passengers and holding grips ruin the bike. So ugly. I bought the expensive cowl from Yamaha cause I am an idiot (170€ i think) and they come with small plastic parts to replace the grips. The thing is, they dont have the same colour as the rest of the bike! They aren't black for the black version! They are grey. Same as the grey line on the tank. Yamaha... You could have done better.. for that amount of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love what you done with the plate holder , thats the only thing about the stock bike i don't like. Ill definitely look into making that change. Did you have to modify anything with making the changes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts