Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to share my brake upgrade project experience on my MT-03 (ABS version).

Parts:
Brembo 17 RCS Forged Brake Master Cylinder 110A.263.40.
Brembo Front Brake Caliper P4 30/34 Axial 40mm Fixing (Right Caliper) 20.4756.62.
Brembo Front Brake Reservoir with Vertical Outlet 10444630.
Agras Caliper Support 318-275-001.

Brake hoses custom made by www.starperformanceplus.com.
http://starperformanceplus.com/STARWEBSTORE/

The job took about 6 working days at the bike shop. Not all those 6 days was hands-on wrenching. I wasn't there the whole time to watch over their shoulders but left the bike there for them to get on with it.

A couple of days was idle time because the brake hoses needed some trial and error - this was the first time the hose company was dealing with a Brembo master cylinder + caliper combination (they have ready-made hoses for a stock MT-03 with ABS). They very kindly allowed the bike shop to return part of the ready-made set in return for correct measurements to be saved in their library of future jobs.

Verdict: It works.

Yes, I read this thread warning about using the RCS master cylinder on ABS bikes.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?287193-Brembo-19RCS-Master-cylinder-Warning

Initially the shop suggested an 15 RCS and they actually fitted it. But after testing it they found it not suitable (too spongy) so they swapped it for a 17 RCS (no extra charge).

Riding the bike home, the initial experience was a little underwhelming. The brakes did bite harder and the feel was more positive than the stock brakes. But there was no WOW factor.

Today after doing the bed-in procedure the brakes feel much much better. There is still some lever travel past the biting point because of the ABS. The feel is not like non-ABS bikes where lever travel is limited to just a few mm after the brakes bite (there were other bikes around with 19 RCS brakes). But it is definitely not describable as "spongy". The brake engagement is much more progressive and controllable after the bed-in. I managed to howl the front tyre a few times without the ABS kicking in during the bedding-in.

Yes, I know it is definitely possible to improve brake feel and performance with just hose and pad upgrades. But I really did not want to go back and forth doing incremental / experimental improvements.

The major part of the job is bolting up the hoses. The bodywork had to be stripped to remove the original brake hoses. That was a real pain. The actual installation of the master cylinder and calipers took less than 90 minutes. The rest of the time was sucked up by the hoses and doing testing.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I so wish we could have ABS offered here but its not even an option!
Now after having this moto with ABS, I'm not so sure it's a good thing.

Would I disconnect / bypass it? No.

But it makes the braking feel less precise (relative to non-ABS), it's a real pain to upgrade the hoses, and it's just more stuff to go wrong.

If only we could have both good brake feel and protection together. Perhaps in the next version...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you get the sticker decals on wheels?!? I want them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These guys made it for me:
https://www.facebook.com/motorshop219/timeline

About USD 25 including application.

You could try e-mailing them. It was a custom design and perhaps they saved it in their design library. The job was done on 8 May 2016.

I was actually after a "whole rim" design instead of a "rim edge" design. But have a look at their work, maybe you'll find something you like even more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts