Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have taken the stock muffler off and ran it without a slip on? Considering the catalytic converter is still in, it should be safe to ride on (back pressure will still be there).
$300+CAD seems a bit absurd to me for a slip on. Dont care about looks, just a bit more increase in noise level.
Look forward to hearing your comments!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's safe to ride. I took mine off but got a resonated tip so its not just the small pipe on there. As for sound it opens it up some more but nothing crazy drastic but definitely a better sound.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's safe to ride. I took mine off but got a resonated tip so its not just the small pipe on there. As for sound it opens it up some more but nothing crazy drastic but definitely a better sound.
I hear you, it totally sounds better. I was thinking of going to my mechanic and getting him to make a custom pipe so it looks like something is there. He will charge $50CAD or so for it. I just wasnt sure if the back pressure without the muffler would harm the motor or not. The cat and mid pipe are still present, so all should be good. I will post pics once I get my custom slip on is installed!
Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let us know i'm definitely interested, make two we're not too far i'n from Oshawa.:)
This is what Jpg in Oakville sent me. They said it was 3" but didn't say if that was the diameter or circumstance. I am going to swing by next week and take a look. If it is too large they can weld a smaller piece to it that will slip on your exhaust. I'm thinking it will be $50-$70.
Ill keep you posted!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes this is the original stock heat shield. It is now held in place by only one longer screw (bottom of the triangle fairing). The triangle fairing flexes a little bit to make everything fit. The other screws on the heat shield are just for decor to plug holes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes this is the original stock heat shield. It is now held in place by only one longer screw (bottom of the triangle fairing). The triangle fairing flexes a little bit to make everything fit. The other screws on the heat shield are just for decor to plug hovles.

[/QUOTE

That looks awesome. I got fed up trying to figure it out (didn't wanna break the plastic piece) so I just put my stocker back on till I get the tip for it. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been running mine without a muffler for about 4 months. Also took off the rear footpegs. It makes the bike a lot sleeker looking. I"m not paying $$$ for an aftermarket exhaust that basically sounds like what mine does now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let us know i'm definitely interested, make two we're not too far i'n from Oshawa.:)
No dice on a custom muffler tip. It doesn't seem like any exhaust shop can fabricate a tip that small. I don't see why they can't crimp the end to the correct measurements. Maybe they just don't wanna deal with bikes.
I am going to try 1 more place in Mississauga. Fingers crossed they can whip something up for us. I'll keep you posted buddy

·
Registered
25 Posts
After removing my muffler it sounded a little louder, especially when under throttle. BUT when I found this pic of taking shield from removed muffler and putting back on bike, totally changed sound on idle, noticed it the first start up, deeper richer tone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts