Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my motorcycle license since 2000 and intended to get a bike since then but just never did. A few times over the years I came close but still never did it. All my experience has been riding quads and dirt bikes since that time though since I have had a quad since 2001 (1st Honda 400EX then sold it for my Yamaha Raptor 660).

I first saw this bike the Yamaha R3 at SuperCross and became interested in street bikes again. I found the R3 Forums and 2 years later I have my first street bike.

Early July 2016, I get to take possession of my new Yamaha R3, loaded it in my truck and take it home… (got it from Del Amo Motorsports in Santa Ana, CA and my contact there was Kyle, sales manager, and I highly recommend this place and Kyle for his customer service throughout the process. Use the code R3ForumDelAmo when speaking with Kyle and that you saw this from Charlie at the R3 Forum.)

Next day I put 25 miles on it in the late afternoon/evening-dark getting in some get-to-know-your-new-ride miles. Big grin …. I should have done this years ago. My first impression was that this is enough bike to stay a while without needing something different/bigger like the R6 I once thought would have been my starter bike years ago.

Funny thing about the R6 and when I was going to first get it back in 2000. My bro-in-law told me not to buy it since it’s going to be too small and I’ll not like all the shifting and to just get a 1000. He owns 2 Gixxer 1000’s. His friends also own liter bikes. So between him and his best friend telling me that they won’t ride with me cause I’m looking to get a “girls” bike (sorry ladies it’s what they said not me lol) I was swaying into the Gixxer 750 so I’ll have someone to ride with LOL. Now that I have an R3 guess I'm riding alone hahaha.

To get to my R3 riding after putting on just over 400 miles.

I like this bike! It’s fun and it’s mostly easy to do everything. It’s confidence inspiring for someone new to street and again very easy to ride. I should have done this a long time ago!

The one thing I have trouble with is Upshifting especially from 1st to 2nd, I just don’t pull up enough to engage the gear and either miss the shift or shift into neutral. I’m usually wearing some kind of tennis shoes or running shoes. I suppose a shoe with a bigger/higher toe or a look at the shifter if there is an adjustment that can be made to click it 1 step down. I’m purposely keeping my R3 unchanged until the first service at 600 miles so this way I’ll have an idea of all about the bike built from the factory. I’ve kind of started to add a little pressure from my toes upward when I’m going to upshift and it helps.

The seat and how it is height-wise and comfort-wise is good at least for the amount of time I’ve spent in 1 rides time, about 1hour so far.

The riding position seams very comfortable and not too hunched over. I can imagine being fine after long rides in the saddle.

Power seams great for a commuter type situation and only giving me more with this bike would entice me to want to use more of it ;) because I like this bike and I’ve should have done this a long time ago. I understand now why guys with these bikes are always speeding, it’s too easy to go fast even with the R3. But as basic transportation and weekend fun as this bike will be for me it’s perfect.
For keeping it at or below the 7000rpm’s before initial first maintenance (600miles) it feels fast at 65mph on the freeway and feels almost like it’s on its way to approaching its limit. Again, I only have dirt bikes and quads to compare to and I’ve been over 80mph on my Raptor 660 on a dry lake bed. I wonder what an upgraded suspension for my weight would feel like, hmmmm…..

Would I do buy this bike again as my first bike, yes. Would I suggest someone to start as a new rider on this bike, yes in most cases. Can I see people looking to get a different bike from this one in the future, yes for some and no for others. Again, it’s a great commuter bike and there is more that I haven’t experienced with yet with this bike.

I like that most every motorcycle rider I’ve seen has done the hello hand gesture. I didn’t expect this and it's pretty cool. It’s almost like a secret to something that is really enjoyable to do and we all share in it.

I like that while stopped/parking and in gear and you slip the kickstand down and the power gets killed.

I like the instant mpg readout. It’s merely for entertainment for me but it’s interesting how often 99.9 shows up. BTW I'm getting 60mpg average.

I like the gear indicator although I’ve started counting down the gears in my head. Eventually I think it will all be second nature and not have to think about it much and it’s already happening.

I don’t like the mirrors as they are. They’re almost ineffective with my arms close to being in the entire sweet spot. Maybe if I was 4’8” gold medal gymnast girl named Simone Biles I’d think they were fine?

This thing stinks but I’m sure that will change after the first service that I planned to do myself. Actually after 400+ miles it’s not bad anymore.

The throttle let-off is interesting that it dives so much but I’m getting better throttle control with each ride and I’m hoping that after a little more time that it will smoothen out and I won’t notice it much anymore.

The front windscreen almost seems ineffective but maybe an aftermarket one in the future will be welcomed. However, Harley guys don’t use anything so I’m sure I could live with mine even without a change. It does work in a full tuck, however.

The other thing I’m only slightly bothered by is the grips and the feedback that transfers to my hands. I wear gloves but they’re gloves I’ve used for my quad riding and very basic. Solution is to either buy and use thicker street bike gloves if they’re made this way, or change the grips. I’ll probably end up doing both.

I’m hoping sometime I’ll meet some local R3 owners somewhere and get to hear the options chosen for muffler changes. I don’t mind how it sounds stock but I’m hoping the louder bike will be more noticeable for those that need to hear it to know that I’m there and not to run me over lol. I’ve reviewed several of the muffler threads here and even the one where a forum member did his own custom pipe only extension of parts he got from Home Depot. He even made a great short sound video for me that has me very interested.

I welcome any comments, suggestions, or other so fire away!!!

Time to go fill up my R3 gas tank and go put some more miles on it.

...Wrote this a week ago and didn't post it yet so.... Oh, just reached 600 miles on the bike today and Del Amo Motosports of Santa Ana called me to let me know that for each survey I filled out for Yamaha they’ll give me a $50 gift card. So, that makes 2 cards for the 2 surveys and a Yamaha credit for service so I just might have them do the 600 mile first maintenance. Cool.

I should have done this years ago :)

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
389 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome! If you want to find local riders who don't care about how many CC's tour bike has, join socalsportbikes.org. Good group of SoCal riders there who are looking to meet up for rides or track days. A lot of really helpful folks. Glad you enjoy the R3. It's a fun bike.

Edit: save your money for your exhaust and put it into suspension upgrades instead. I know everyone wants to upgrade their exhaust, but without going with a full exhaust kit, the difference is pretty weak. A good, tunable suspension however, can be appreciated by the rider every time he gets on the bike.

I do miss the friendliness of the riders in SoCal. You don't see it here in Japan. Some of the friendliest people on the road Imho are SoCal bike riders. Some of the worst people are them as well lol.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was just about to post my own "400 miles impression" this week as I hit 402 on the odometer today coming home from my C++ class.

1) your'e observation about the mirror sweet spot is right on.
2)I also use my bike to commute (between home and college) and I thin I filled up 3 or four times in 402 miles
3) shifting from 1st to 2nd happens occasionally to me too, I'm sure its my own fault

Enjoy the R3, I had a GSXR600 years ago, while it was way more powerful, for everyday street riding I'll take my R3.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! If you want to find local riders who don't care about how many CC's tour bike has, join socalsportbikes.org. Good group of SoCal riders there who are looking to meet up for rides or track days. A lot of really helpful folks. Glad you enjoy the R3. It's a fun bike.

Edit: save your money for your exhaust and put it into suspension upgrades instead. I know everyone wants to upgrade their exhaust, but without going with a full exhaust kit, the difference is pretty weak. A good, tunable suspension however, can be appreciated by the rider every time he gets on the bike.

I do miss the friendliness of the riders in SoCal. You don't see it here in Japan. Some of the friendliest people on the road Imho are SoCal bike riders. Some of the worst people are them as well lol.
"If you want to find local riders who don't care about how many CC's tour bike has, join socalsportbikes.org."
Thanks for the info about that website. I've actually been on it to look around and seems to be a great place like you said.

"A good, tunable suspension however, can be appreciated by the rider every time he gets on the bike."
I'm thinking you might be right since I'm a little heavier than the optimum weight for this bike at 220lbs-ish lol. However, I think that a louder exhaust helps with being noticed.

"Some of the friendliest people on the road Imho are SoCal bike riders. Some of the worst people are them as well lol."
Yeah, I hear that. It seams that many people here have mutual respect when you show it first and then there are those that are a( )'s no matter what, others are absent minded, some on cell phones and others are poor drivers period. Too bad I live in the heart of busyness and not many openness to ride to and from work.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just about to post my own "400 miles impression" this week as I hit 402 on the odometer today coming home from my C++ class.

1) your'e observation about the mirror sweet spot is right on.
2)I also use my bike to commute (between home and college) and I thin I filled up 3 or four times in 402 miles
3) shifting from 1st to 2nd happens occasionally to me too, I'm sure its my own fault

Enjoy the R3, I had a GSXR600 years ago, while it was way more powerful, for everyday street riding I'll take my R3.
"I was just about to post my own "400 miles impression" this week as I hit 402 on the odometer today coming home from my C++ class."
Post it up when you get a chance, let's hear it...

" 1) your'e observation about the mirror sweet spot is right on."
I'm hoping the 1" extensions I've seen will do the trick to help. Will be ordering this weekend I hope.

" 2)I also use my bike to commute (between home and college) and I thin I filled up 3 or four times in 402 miles"
Small gas tank. I would like another 100miles before fill-ups but until someone comes up with another gas tank substitute for this 180-200miles/tank will have to do. The wallet doesn't mind either...

" 3) shifting from 1st to 2nd happens occasionally to me too, I'm sure its my own fault"
I guess I don't like to upshift with my left foot since after I figured out how to adjust it I've gone 1 click on the shifter to point the shifter down more so I can do it. I had to do the same on my quad so it must be me :(

"Enjoy the R3, I had a GSXR600 years ago, while it was way more powerful, for everyday street riding I'll take my R3."
Interesting, would you mind expanding on your reasoning? I know the R3 is easy to ride and since I haven't been on a 600 or 1000 size yet I don't know the difference.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Nope. It's the bike.

I had thoughts of selling my R3, because I had the same issue.
I'm sure it's the way it's designed. It just shifts 1 to 2 like CRAP.
3 and up seem to be fine. Neutral is easy to find. It's just that 1-2 shift. Something is wrong with it.

Usually, it works fine, but every once in awhile, it will act goofy.
I like the R3, and I don't want to sell it, so I just deal with it. I was hoping it would get better the more miles I put on it.
Wishful thinking, but I don't care.
The R3 is not expensive, I don't expect it to be perfect.
It seems like all bikes in this price-range have compromises.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope. It's the bike.

I had thoughts of selling my R3, because I had the same issue.
I'm sure it's the way it's designed. It just shifts 1 to 2 like CRAP.
3 and up seem to be fine. Neutral is easy to find. It's just that 1-2 shift. Something is wrong with it.

Usually, it works fine, but every once in awhile, it will act goofy.
I like the R3, and I don't want to sell it, so I just deal with it. I was hoping it would get better the more miles I put on it.
Wishful thinking, but I don't care.
The R3 is not expensive, I don't expect it to be perfect.
It seems like all bikes in this price-range have compromises.
Ok, so it's not just me lol.

Have you tried adjusting the shifter so it points down a little more? I's simple to do and only requires a single 10mm wrench. I have taken the shifter completely off and turned it 1 click then adjusted the barrel adjuster to where I like it. Seems a lot better so far....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine shifts from 1st to 2nd fine. No problems at all. My whole transmission is smooth as you like. Neutral isn't particularly easy to find either. Odd.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you have occasional problems shifting, the most likely issue is your shifter position and shift rod angles.

Shift rod position should be in a neutral natural position for your foot, so that up shift and downshift pressure can be sufficiently applied.

The shifter arms and rod need to be at 90degree angles to maximize transfer of torque into shifting the gear box. This means a 90degree angle where the rod meets the rearset and a 90degree angle where the rod meets the gearbox.

·
Registered
304 Posts
"I was just about to post my own "400 miles impression" this week as I hit 402 on the odometer today coming home from my C++ class."
Post it up when you get a chance, let's hear it...

" 1) your'e observation about the mirror sweet spot is right on."
I'm hoping the 1" extensions I've seen will do the trick to help. Will be ordering this weekend I hope.

" 2)I also use my bike to commute (between home and college) and I thin I filled up 3 or four times in 402 miles"
Small gas tank. I would like another 100miles before fill-ups but until someone comes up with another gas tank substitute for this 180-200miles/tank will have to do. The wallet doesn't mind either...

" 3) shifting from 1st to 2nd happens occasionally to me too, I'm sure its my own fault"
I guess I don't like to upshift with my left foot since after I figured out how to adjust it I've gone 1 click on the shifter to point the shifter down more so I can do it. I had to do the same on my quad so it must be me :(

"Enjoy the R3, I had a GSXR600 years ago, while it was way more powerful, for everyday street riding I'll take my R3."
Interesting, would you mind expanding on your reasoning? I know the R3 is easy to ride and since I haven't been on a 600 or 1000 size yet I don't know the difference.

Thanks for the reply.
While a 600 is fine for the street (still lighter than full liter bikes) a blast to ride and really are fast enough to make you push whatever envelope your heart desires. I found myself blasting past the posted speed limits very quick and very often (we all have our inner Hoon tendencies). The R3 allows me to go wide open throttle (WOT), bang through the gears without hitting 90mph in a 45mph zone in 3rd gear.

That being said, you're a younger man than me, get your skills, get a bigger bike and push that envelope:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
1700 miles in last 8 weeks, 1st to 2nd shift no problem so far. But I wear my boots all the time. ATGATT.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While a 600 is fine for the street (still lighter than full liter bikes) a blast to ride and really are fast enough to make you push whatever envelope your heart desires. I found myself blasting past the posted speed limits very quick and very often (we all have our inner Hoon tendencies). The R3 allows me to go wide open throttle (WOT), bang through the gears without hitting 90mph in a 45mph zone in 3rd gear.

That being said, you're a younger man than me, get your skills, get a bigger bike and push that envelope:D
It's easy enough with our R3 to exceed the speed limits easily so I can't imagine how everyone on the rockets keep it so mellow. I'll ride them sometime eventually.

I'm not that young physically but the internet puts my age at 27 from a personality test I took LOL. For funny reference, my boss /owner of the company took this online test first and he ended up at age 15 and he acts it sometimes.

R3 is a great bike and I'm sure I'll always have it around as long as I can.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
About the shifting issue, I'm sure it's me at least a little. I did adjust it 1-click at the output shaft cause I couldn't twist the barrel enough to have enough threads to feel like enough. Been shifting much better. I'm looking into the blocks that can be added to each side and possibly adding rear-sets if I need more than what I've done already.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Hey cwick2000 just curious where do you normally go riding around the valley? I just moved back after being gone for a couple of years, but I am new to riding and since I'm in that break-in period I have avoided freeways.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm out here in the east valley, there are some areas in Awhatukee with hills and twistees but the speed limits are 35-45mph, you can have fun and work on skills. You can ride Baseline west of I-10 to ride up to the top of South Mountain, great views of the Valley from the top. Out in North Mesa, take Power road north to the Salt River Canyon, but you should only ride there in the early morning, because later in the day the number of drunk/drugged drivers is off the charts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just did my first oil/filter change (Mobile 1, 4T 10w-40 and Mobile M1-101 filter and it seems smoother running.

I still miss-shift a little but the shifter adjustment helped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts