Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new 2016 R3 last weekend for an ultra-lightweight endurance bike, to replace the CBR250R we've used for the last few years. It was a great bike, it was just time for a change. Im making this thread to document the progress as I go along. Im still waiting on a bunch of parts to show up, but this is all Ive been able to do so far. So here we go!

Yay, new bike!

All the bodywork off. Why do manufacturers make it such a PITA to get to this point? :D

The last time the stock exhaust will see daylight...

Hello M4 race system! Love their exhaust. Fit is perfect, sounds really good and they are local-ish.

Picked up a new set of Vesrah brake pads

Got a few sprockets from Vortex. Dont laugh at the "spools". My order from Woodcraft hasn't come in yet :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice!

I just picked up the exact bike today and will set it up for fast street and track day use.

I look forward to following your build.

CJ

·
Registered
47 Posts
More than likely, yes. What are you looking for?
Are you getting rid of all of your fairings? I may want the whole package plus headlight and front signals. I recently had an accident with mine, but it's a 2015 raven. I think it should still fit, but maybe someone can shed some light on that?

I have a tight budget though, it's gotta get approved by the boss! #marriedlife

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you getting rid of all of your fairings? I may want the whole package plus headlight and front signals. I recently had an accident with mine, but it's a 2015 raven. I think it should still fit, but maybe someone can shed some light on that?

I have a tight budget though, it's gotta get approved by the boss! #marriedlife

Yeah, all the fairings will be available. Let me know what you come up with. I have all that stuff, sitting in a storage bin. 0 miles on them. I literally took them off the bike, took pictures and wrapped them in bubble wrap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got an order from Graves today!

Graves fairing bracket. While is is a nice looking part, and saves some weight, Im kinda disappointed in this, honestly. It comes in a bag, no hardware, no instructions, nothing. I know, putting a fairing bracket on isnt rocket science, but what they dont tell you is if you dont buy the Ohlins damper mount kit, you dont get bolts or nuts to mount this to the bike. Its not a huge deal, but something I think should have been noted on their website. Luckily, I got the mount kit and the damper, so I got all the parts I needed, just by luck. There are instructions in the mount kit, but they are pretty vague. You can see in the first picture that the stock mounting bolts are in there until I figured out that all the hardware was included with the mount kit. The mount kit also comes with the shorter steering stop, so that was cool, I guess.

That brings me to the Ohlins steering damper. Beautiful piece.

Then I pulled the tank and installed the smog block off plate. Again, lacking any instructions. I used Jbluetooth's site as a step by step. If I had to do it again, I would have bought the block off plate kit from him, since his kit comes with the vacuum block off caps for the throttle bodies and the airbox. Also removed the charcoal canister and hoses.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone one of the experts here know if 2016 fairings fit correctly on a 2015? From what I've heard, the only differences with the 2016 model is the color options.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More parts showed up today. This time from Hard Racing

Galfer brake lines

Installed rear line

My favorite magic brake fluid. I work for BMW and we use this stuff for some of the ///M cars. I use it in all my bikes.

Brembo master cylinder. Couldnt install the front brake line because its made for a stock master cylinder. Brembos mount on the bottom instead of the side, so the bend for the fitting is wrong. Im waiting to hear back about getting a new line.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think the 15s and 16s are the same, other than the colors.
So, I talked it over with my wife, and unfortunately, I don't have the money right now. All I could spare for parts is $150, which I assume would not be enough. Thank you anyways, and best of luck with the build.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering if you will be parting out the light switch that controls the turn signals, pass, and head lights to the left of the clutch lever? If so, how much? I am located in Arlington, TX 76011.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Does anyone one of the experts here know if 2016 fairings fit correctly on a 2015? From what I've heard, the only differences with the 2016 model is the color options.

Only difference is colors. All parts are interchangeable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was wondering if you will be parting out the light switch that controls the turn signals, pass, and head lights to the left of the clutch lever? If so, how much? I am located in Arlington, TX 76011.
Sorry, I cut the connector off that harness.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, got a few more things put on this weekend.

Got the bodywork mocked up and drilled before I get it painted. Armour Bodies supersport kit.

Put on the Woodcraft rearsets.

Installed the Woodcraft ignition delete harness. This is probably my favorite thing so far because its super easy to install and saves a ton of time cutting and soldering ignition switches, like previous bikes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sigh.... Kinda in a holding pattern right now. I bought those R3 specific clip-ons from Woodcraft, before I read the clip-on thread and before I knew about JBluetooth's site. Obviously, they arent going to work for a race bike, so Im exchanging them for the 41mm universal ones. My gas tank is on hold waiting to get a ring welded on to mount the dry break. My fork internals, Penske shock and Bazzaz are at a friends shop waiting for all the previously mentioned stuff to get done.

If youre looking into building a race bike, check out http://www.yamahar3racing.com/ before you order parts. He has a lot of good info and parts on there that will save you a bunch of time and money trying to figure out what you need to build a good bike. Im sure all of you know this already, but there might be someone (like me) that wasnt aware.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In other news, I figured out that you dont have to take the front caliper off to remove the front wheel. Also, if you wanted to safety wire your front axle nut to one of the caliper bolts, you can flip the axle so that the nut is on the caliper side, without any issues.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts