Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had a close encounter after approaching an SUV that was distracted on their phone. Here where I am it carries a $500 fine. In this case it was endangering me because the driver was not advancing on greens so I started filming and approached the driver to put it down. I thought it was over after I left at the lights. Watch the video and see what happened for yourself: https://youtu.be/ooarpsPtibk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Happens everyday. I see no end to it, the men in Blue have more important things to worry about like be accused of shooting thugs.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Well at least she got charged. It blows my mind how people can be this clueless. I got busted once when I went to redial a number and a cop was sitting right there. Learned my lesson ($250 fine). Phone stays in my pocket now, won't touch it unless the car is off and I'm out of it.

Being on a bike I'm much more aware of the other drivers around me now. But let's face it, motorcycle riders can be idiots too - lots of dingbats out there. Just be safe!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Last week I had a close encounter after approaching an SUV that was distracted on their phone. Here where I am it carries a $500 fine. In this case it was endangering me because the driver was not advancing on greens so I started filming and approached the driver to put it down. I thought it was over after I left at the lights. Watch the video and see what happened for yourself: https://youtu.be/ooarpsPtibk
Riding a motorcycle in traffic is already dangerous, and some people find that danger fun. Tapping on the windows of cars around you to give them advice on distracted driving will make your ride really fun.

[We interrupt these paragraphs for a Special Report: You're an exposed fragile human body in a sea of heavy ramming machines piloted by 20/60/20 mix of intelligent/dumb/insane drivers]

I hope you had a fun day. I personally save my traffic etiquette interactions with other motorists for incidents where they just tried *really* hard to kill me.

·
Registered
113 Posts

WOW!! Good for you. She deserves EVERYTHING she got! And to think, years ago, we were about to function SUCCESSFULLY without the use of cell phones!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I read this just yesterday and here's a worthwhile excerpt:
Sgt. Mark Gatien, of the Ottawa police traffic enforcement unit, said ... the motorcyclist could also face charges for manoeuvring between two lanes to knock on the woman's window as she used her phone behind the wheel.

Gatien discouraged attempts at citizen policing that could lead to dangerous confrontations, especially in traffic.

"I would caution people not to do this in the sense that he committed a couple of offences himself by splitting the lane going down the middle," Gatien said. "I can't prove it but he might have been speeding. In the video, by his own admission, [he] follows this lady after the fact by a number of kilometres which could have put her a bit unnervy.

"We prefer that he would have stopped."
Source

If you truly felt endangered, maybe you should've moved over to the left lane instead of turning on the camera from the very beginning. Because you stayed in the right-lane and didn't go behind her, you should've been watching your right mirror like a hawk and seen at 0:56 she was moving out into your blind spot, so was it really all that surprising? While there's no excuse for her behavior and I commend that with your video evidence she was able to face the repercussions of her actions, the truth is distracted driving happens all the time, but there's a lot of things a rider can do to protect themselves without resorting to video vigilante and tapping on people's car windows, and my hope is that new riders who see this example will not feel that their only solution to these types of problem is to record a video, tap on windows, follow the offender, and verbally confront them.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
And to think, years ago, we were about to function SUCCESSFULLY without the use of cell phones!
I never owned a cell phone in my life.
I had one for work, that the company provided. I left it on my desk in my office.
I hate cell phones. Humans do NOT need a cell phone to function. Millennials THINK they do,
because they were raised by the cell phone. Fools. It's just another monthly payment. For suckers.
:|

·
Registered
732 Posts
That is ridiculous. This is so infuriating to me on so many levels. This makes me want to talk about the subject and it's related offshoots.

First, it seems drivers are getting worse and worse. In NY, you had to be a good driver to survive. Now with all the distraction and congestion, things have slowed down to the point, you can get by without being a good driver. I truly believe it is cell phones, and people's driving skills regressing overall. With quieter, more luxurious and comfortable cars, you no longer feel like you're in a 4K pound weapon, but in a sanitized and ultra safe environment where everything will safely bounce off each other. Not so.

Firstly, driver instruction and testing is a joke in the US. The written exam is a joke. The road test is a joke. You know how much incompetence I see on a daily basis. And in NY, you were once forced to be competent. I see people struggling to parallel park. I see people merging on to the highway at 30 mph only to hesitate or even freeze and stop. They think they're being safe, but they're not. I see people sitting behind cars 15 feet behind the next car at lights blocking people from other lanes or causing successive cars to miss the light. I see people slow down to 5 mph to turn off a road causing all the cars to slow behind them. I see people in the left lane going slower than the speed limit with 10+ cars behind them-they have no concept of pass lane/cruise lane/slow lane-exit lane. That's just the tip of the ice berg. At least half the drivers I see are talking on their phone, exiting, or drinking a Starbucks and eating. Nonsense.

The US needs to have more thorough instruction, harder licensing rules and testing, and tiered licenses. In other countries, cars are generally homogenous in regard to size and shape. Here we have the greenies driving their sub compact electrics to the people who feel they need to haul their soccer kids in behemoth SUVs. Ridiculous.

Truthfully, I drive fast, but I pick my spots. However, I am focused and locked in when driving. You might disagree with me, but I believe a competent fast driver is far safer than a skittish, incompetent, hesitant, and scared slow driver. I grew up on mopeds and dirt bikes. I've been driving and riding since I could do so legally. I got an M1A1/A2, Humvee, 2.5 and 5 ton, and HEMTT licenses in the Army, and did not have one accident in the 8 years I was in. I have had a rich history with driving and different vehicles, and gained tons of experience. I dreamed of behind a rally driver or MotoGP racer. While I am no professional, I pride myself on my driving skills, and continually seek to improve. Point is, while I may not be an expert, I am passionate about the subject, am a big believer in reform, and I take my riding and driving seriously, and pride myself on it.

It blows my mind how people are against legalizing marijuana and think the norm is like Fast Times Spiccoli, Dazed and Confused, and Half-Baked stoner coma, when alcohol is a huge cause of accidents, wrecks, and not to mention rapes, fights, etc. It's like how paradoxical and hypocritical can this country be? Related to licensing and speed-other countries have shown that the mantra "speed kills" is wrong when controlled. Stronger instruction, testing, and licensing and controlled environments lead to safe areas for going fast. I'd rather be on the road with fast and competent drivers than distracted and incompetent ones. Law enforcement propagates myths for revenue. Tickets are the biggest racket and your States are addicted to it.

Why do we have fast cars but ridiculous speed limits? This country just sucks sometimes. There needs to be a lot of changes but it will be extremely hard. The mindset is engrained, and tons of lobbyists like law enforcement, and governing associations like DOT and TripleA love the status quo.

Things that scare me about the future-driver assisted tech. Drivers such bad already. If they need tech to stop themselves from rear ending people or assistance with parallel parking, how bad will they be in the future? What happened to the joy of driving and riding? Are people just going to sit there on their phones now while their automated vehicle drives? If a motorcycle rider is hit by an autonomous vehicle, who's fault is it?:|

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
^This! Well said.
Thanks, and to everyone who read it and gave me a a "like" thank you. I know it was a lot to read.:) I actually wrote more earlier, but my token had expired, and when I went to post I lost everything. I was pretty pissed.

This thread doesn't have an auto save and restore content like some other forums. I could not rescue all I typed. Oftentimes, I'll type something long in Simplenote, my could note app, or something siilar, but didn't here. So annoying.

But I am so passionate about the subject, I had to chime it. Frankly, the prospects of drivers, driving, and the future of roads and cars frightens me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yesterday, on a 2 lane back road, car passing another car in the opposite lane, passing car is in my lane heading at me. Forced me off the road into a ditch with a foot of water. Slid down an embankment, on my left side, taking out my left front turn signal and tearing off half of my rear fender mud guard. Bike caked in mud and me just muddy and wet, no boo-boos. No one around ... everybody split! Got out of the ditch and rode home to evaluate extent of the damage. Good cleaning was all that was necessary plus I was meaning to replace the 'ugly' mud guard with the Vagabond Fender Eliminator anyways. I don't know IF this would be classified as a distracted driver occurrence or just plain STUPID!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just watched it. Happens all the time in London. Honestly, next time mate don't even bother. Just ride off keeping your distance from them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You kept your cool. Documented the whole incident. No one got hurt. ******* is getting all she deserves. Great outcome. Haters gonna hate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Let's carry this to its non-intervention logical conclusion...op does nothing and she gets away with this and continues until she one day kills the cyclist. Hopefully it's one of you limp d**** that have no clue

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not a rainbow.....but, I guess all colors other than white are suspect/thugs?

On a lighter note, your'e Arrow exhaust does look sweet.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts