Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my grandmother's house today to clean and lube the chain(and try out the rear stand I bought last week). It was 17 miles. I left my Butt Buffer seat cushion and Camelbak at home since I thought I was just going there. On the way home I figured since I just got my first Toll Tag I'd ride a few miles up Beltway 8, an 80 mile tollway loop, and then head home. Got on the Beltway and went farther and farther-didn't want to stop. I ended up riding over half the loop and ended up clear on the other side of Houston. Caught I-45 and went home. 133 miles total. It's been over 5 years since I did that many miles on a bike in one day and it felt good. Other small bikes I had int he past(1996 Rebel 250 and 2009 Ninja 250R)were uncomfortable. 75 miles a day on those was pushing it for me. But the R3 is very comfortable and rides like a big bike. And I had over 500 miles on it so I decided to take it to 80mph for a minute. It got up to 80 easy. On my Ninja 250 80 was a struggle. And the Rebel never dreamed of speeds that high even with a good tailwind with my 220 pound butt on it.

The R3 is a bike that you want to just keep going and going on. You never want to come home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea I've never felt sore coming off that bike. I will say though that its get windy as **** on the highway. Maybe its just the highways in Texas but when I get above 60 mph, it feels kind of sketchy. The R3 is being knocked around every which way, not to mention the wind noise in my ears basically make you deaf. And I have a pretty nice helmet as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike has exceeded my expectations, even though I'm still in the break in time and can't run it really hard yet. Something crazy even came across my mind. Something I've been wanting to do for 20 years. An Ironbutt Saddle Sore 1000. That's 1000 miles in 24 hours for those who don't know. I would have NEVER thought about such a thing with the '09 Ninja 250R I had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first proper ride on my MT-03 was about a 250 mile round trip to watch the MotoGP @ Silverstone, UK. Maybe it was the fact it was literally day 2 of ownership but my ass certainly did hurt a little during that ride - particularly on the way back with all the traffic. I find that top speed is more limited by what I can endure than what the bike can do but maybe that's partly because I'm on a naked bike. Anything above about 70mph, I find a pretty uncomfortable... and loud.

A 1000 mile ride sounds a bit torturous to me but I guess with the right weather and scenery, it might be ok.

+1 for ear plugs - I use moldex comet ear plugs which are washable/re-usable

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a saddlesore1000 last year. Might aim for a bbg1500 if I can find the time/route in the next two months. Applying to grad school and 60 hour work weeks are wreaking havoc on my bike time.

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-.../111426-iron-butt-r3-complete.html#post421450
I found you on the SS1000 list. It looks so cool to see a YZF-R3 there. Hopefully mine will be on that list next May. I plan on doing it in May because it's not too terribly hot in the daytime and it's not cold at night.

·
Registered
542 Posts
There's myself and one other guy from India who completed a bb1500 on the r3. Tons of ninja 250s, a handful of cbr 250s and even a couple cbr125s and scooters. Definitely not the same amount as the glides/goldwings/bmws, but there are a decent amount of little hikes checking off these rides.

The 1000 isn't too challenging. Just pick a fast route and tough it out. You can even stop for a few hours to wait out bad weather and be fine. It only takes 15 hrs of highway speed to hit that distance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts