Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm Love.

Last year, I bought a 2019 R3 as my daily commuter (before Covid shut everything down), then I wrecked it in July. Never have worked on motorcycles or cars before, but I've been slowly rebuilding it over the past 6 months with my friend to eventually give to her (got my eyes set on a T700) :) adding in a few mods as I go to make it work for her a little more. This is where my question comes in!

My friend is wanting to add a set of Kurakyn mini floor boards (she's trying to convert it to a bit of a tourer and think they would help for longer stints). My question is this: does anyone know if the Bolt's foot pegs have a similar dimension to the R3? Specifically, the point of connection where the pin goes through (I'm not sure of the technical term?). The mini floor boards have a spline adapter that fits the Bolt, but I'm wondering if I could use that spline adapter for the R3. I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm not sure of any resources online where I could check out specific dimensions like these, so I thought I'd ask here! Thanks y'all, glad to be here :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
This reply assumes you haven't done much fitment testing for the floor boards. It's a bit odd to install floor boards on sportbikes, but I'm sure with some fabrication, it's doable.

I'm thinking it might be best to have a shop modify a crash cage for your YZF-R3 to include a mounting spot for the floor boards your friend wants to install.

I say this, because the stock rear set is below the butt of the rider, and floor boards, to my knowledge are placed usually further toward the front of the motorcycle.

So perhaps you could reach out to a company like ImpakTech and ask them when they will have a crash cage for the 2019 R3 (currently they've got them for 2015-2018 R3), as the 2019 features different bodywork.

You could also post on MotorcycleForums.net, specifically Bike Talk: Sportbikes, as their forum has topics regarding sportbikes and touring motorcycles on the same site, so someone who chimes in over there might @mention another person who knows more about mounting floorboards and fabrication.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As someone who has owned a bike with floor boards and put some miles on I find them strangely uncomfortable. Has she ridden a bike with them before? The angle of the R3 pegs would make for an awkward floorboard fitment from the start. I find the pegs a lot more comfortable than floorboards for distance riding. What is her height?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As someone who has owned a bike with floor boards and put some miles on I find them strangely uncomfortable. Has she ridden a bike with them before?
Interesting, I've never heard that before. She hasn't ridden floorboards before. She was just thinking that the added surface area on the mini boards would help relieve some stress on her feet when she rides (she's told me her feet/toes have started to get numb before when she's ridden for long times). She's taller - 6'.

I say this, because the stock rear set is below the butt of the rider, and floor boards, to my knowledge are placed usually further toward the front of the motorcycle.
This is an interesting idea - hadn't thought about putting in a crash cage and then trying to attach the equivalent of highway pegs/boards to them. That's something to consider, although, as I sort of alluded to in the above response, she doesn't necessarily want the styling of a cruiser (flat foot on boards), but rather just want foot pegs that have a wider base to them to help distribute pressure on her feet - she doesn't mind if they're still rearset, and actually would prefer them to stay that way as she still wants to maintain the sporty-ness of the bike while just making some adjustments to make it more touring friendly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's ultimately why I thought these mini boards for Kurakyn would be a good fit - if the Yamaha Bolt foot pegs could fit in where the R3 pegs do, then the mini boards would be an in-place improvement with no custom work needing to be done. I just don't know the dimensions of the Bolt foot pegs, so I don't even know if that would work

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the issue is just a bit of numbness in the feet, then I would say a simple foot-peg swap could likely sort that out. Find something that's got rubber in the peg and/or mounting surface area. I don't recall if the R3 already has anything like this, but I don't think it does.

I'd say she might be looking at the wrong bike here, but then, a lot of people said that to me when I was initially talking about getting an R3 and noting that I'd like to cruise around at 85 mph all the time LOL. I find this bike (with way taller gearing) to be absolutely brilliant at doing that all day long, so...to each [her] own, I guess ;-)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Interesting, I've never heard that before. She hasn't ridden floorboards before. She was just thinking that the added surface area on the mini boards would help relieve some stress on her feet when she rides (she's told me her feet/toes have started to get numb before when she's ridden for long times). She's taller - 6'.
It sounds as though this woman is not using proper riding boots and isn't cruising using the balls of her feet (instead, it sounds as though she is cruising by resting the arch of her foot on the peg and using soft-sole sneakers).

Tell us:
  • Does your friend cruise using the balls of her feet on the pegs?

• Is she using proper riding footwear?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m wondering if a pair of Adventure style pegs on a extended mounting arm (1”-3”), (all over EBay), along with a 1st generation clip on arrangement might get this sorted out. Sounds like she needs less knee bend and a more upright position due to height/leg length to me. Just a guess. Taller/thicker saddle might help and maybe a MT-03 handlebar conversion. Didn’t somebody make that work not to long ago?
wedgeSG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts