Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started my motorcycling fun with you guys on this forum, so just wanted to share my summer science project.

I've loved my R3, but really wanted to build my own cafe racer. Wanted an older carburated bike, so I could have something that was easier to work on. But still modern enough to have electric ignition, dual disk brakes, and reasonable suspension.

Turned out to be a really fun project.

The new bike rides almost as good if not better than the R3, which is pretty good for a 20 year old design.
On paper, the GS500 has 51hp and 30.5 ft/lb of torque, compared with the R3's 41 and 30.
Think I dropped about 25lbs off the stock bike, by getting rid of the original fairings / exhaust /seat
I went with a -1 front sprocket on the GS, so it does feel a bit faster on acceleration and torque.
With the suspension upgrades, it does feel better planted than the R3, even with similar tires.

Hope this inspires you all with your own projects!

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice one!

I had a GS500E back in the day. It was my first middle sized bike and was a nice upgrade over the GN250 that I had before it.

In terms of all my previous bikes, the GS500 is the one that my R3 most reminds me of.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In terms of all my previous bikes, the GS500 is the one that my R3 most reminds me of.
Funny, right? Considering the generation gap, I was surprised how very similar they felt.

The GS500 is a bit gruntier and torquey, though it can't match the throttle response of a fuel injected bike. Or maybe I just need to master the black art of carb jetting...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Nice! Wondering why you didn't go single light though. I had a 7" single on my 650 when I made it naked for a few weeks. Also wondering why you feel carbs are easier. I personally did not like working on the carbs on my 500. To each their own though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just personal tastes I guess. The twin headlights seem to have a bit more character to my eyes.

I have to agree - it is easier just to plug my USB cable to my R3's Bazazz ECU.
Guess I meant that old carbs are more mechanically satisfying to take apart and tweak.

A lot of the fun of riding motorcycles for me is the opportunity to get my hands dirty learning how to work on them and hopefully keep them running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts