Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just came back from my 2nd ever ride and noticed that my R3 is shifting nice and smooth both up and down; however, if I come to a stop in 3rd say it gave me a **** hard time getting her down to 1st. Now I've owned many bikes where doing this usually always required a swaying back and forth a bit and the gear would drop in but my R3 didn't co-operate a few times at all and had to slowly start off in 3rd and then it let me go down.
Now she's only got around 60 km's and 95% of the time I'm always downshifting before I stop but just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their new R3's ??

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
This question comes up so often ... downshift right before stopping, or let the clutch out just a little so it'll spin the transmission and downshift while stopped. All three of my bikes were like this. Everyone accidentally stops in 3rd from time to time, etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ xorbe

yup, like i said, that's what I did ;) anyhow good to see it's a common issue

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you come to a stop in 3rd?
hehe like I said 95% of the time I don't;) every once in a while my mind wanders off for various reasons I can't even explain:D

·
Registered
856 Posts
Down through the gears, into 2nd, snick into neutral just b4 it rolls to a standstill.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
doing this usually always required a swaying back and forth a bit and the gear would drop in but my R3 didn't co-operate
let the clutch out just a little so it'll spin the transmission and downshift while stopped
yup, like i said, that's what I did
Sorry I got the impression you were rocking the bike back and forth, not slipping the clutch a bit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Down through the gears, into 2nd, snick into neutral just b4 it rolls to a standstill.
Actually its completely situational if you want to save wear and tear on your parts. I'm sure your not too worried on costs considering its just a 300, but you dont need to downshift through EVERY gear coming to a stop. Sometimes its just downright repetitive, and unnecessary. For example when your approaching a stop and your breaking in 3rd gear you could simply hold the clutch in, pop it down to neutral and use either your break (mostly your rear) to come to a complete stop. Then your not clutch downshift clutch downshift clutch neutral clutch downshift into 1st and take off. :nerd: just my two cents.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A lot of lower CC bikes do this. It's just the nature of the beast. Drop down to first before coming to a stop. Or go into neutral and be prepared to rock that bitch back and forth until it goes into first gear. :)

Thankfully, my other bike doesn't have this issue, so I usually just drop into neutral when rolling up to a stop light to give my clutch hand a rest.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
R3 has actually been my easiest bike to get into 1st from N at a stop (versus Ninja 250 total biatch stuck in neutral hardcore, and Yamaha FZ6R always required clutch slip). Maybe it will get more difficult on the R3 as the wet clutch wears a bit and probably drags a bit less with age.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Honda makes CTX700 and NM4 with automatic transmission just for you! :D
rofl come on man dont label me as a scooter boy! Trust me from driving muscle classics to motorcycles i have no problem at all using a clutch alot. What i was saying was that your overusing your clutch by downshifting through EVERY SINGLE gear EVERY time you come to a stop and its not necessary. You could simply eliminate a few complete shifts depending on speed and stability by simply holding the clutch till your in nuetral and using your breaks. clutch repair/replacement more expensive then simple brakes :D

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
Could rock DCT on a heavy bike for a comfy cross country cruise. Actually I want to try a Piaggio BV 350 (almost as fast as CBR 300 hahaha)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Both of my Yamahas are this way. But my Kawasaki on the other hand I can easily drop it into 1st from neutral at a stop which is a good thing because the clutch lever on that **** is stiff and hard as a mofo so thats the only bike I ride that is on neutral at a stop. But on the flipside both Yamaha's gears are super quiet while the Kawasaki is extremely whiny. All I hear is whirring all day long on the Kawasaki.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've even seen an r1 get stuck. Sooo. Downshifting is a good thing to learn an get use too. Most people plan on buying bigger bikes with those bigger bikes they're going to want to downshift. :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm debating downshifting techniques is like debating politics;)
get used to a rythm that suits you and enjoy (just remember to use the clutch ok)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts