Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still waiting for Galfer brake pads to become available (ordered from Hard Racing), but otherwise it's done. Famous last words, I know! ;)

1.) Installed the Bridgestone BATTLAX S-20 EVO tires.

2.) Added a pair of Carbon Fiber Yamaha Tuning Forks logos to the fairings and some blue striping to augment the tapered Yamaha Racing stripe

3.) Added the White, Black & Blue Strobe Model decals to the front windshield cowl.

The photos were taken in a local city park, Garden of the Gods. It's one of the "Top 10 Most Beautiful City Parks in the United States" and is here in Colorado Springs.

Sorry, the photo with me in it is a bit out of focus (that's oddly appropriate :eek: ). Taken by a tourist from Indiana not familiar with my camera. An "Oldie" and device-challenged, presumably. :)

GOG2.jpg

GOG4.jpg

GOG6.jpg

GOG7.jpg

GOG10.jpg

GOG12.jpg

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nice man. I am a born and bred New Yorker but lived in the Springs for around 4 years while stationed at Ft Carson. Colorado is my second home. I had my old FZR600 back then when I lived there 1996-1999. Used to rip it on 115. Take it up 25 and ride it on 70!

·
Registered
271 Posts
FangShui, what is that little thing on the back tire for and if your state doesn't require lighted license plates could the plate be mounted on it?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
FangShui, what is that little thing on the back tire for and if your state doesn't require lighted license plates could the plate be mounted on it?
It's a rear mudguard, similar to the ones that Ducati puts on the Diavel and the Monster 1200S and MV Agusta puts on the Brutale Dragster RR. Google image search to see those.

It helps prevent a Rooster Tail Water Spray from coming off the rear tire that can occur after you remove the stock fender.

If your state doesn't require a rear plate light, then, yes, you could mount the plate directly to this. There are two extra holes in the stainless steel plate underneath the red reflector I put on there. They're for plate mounting.
You could also probably move the stock plate light onto it by lengthening the wires (hiding them behind the side mounting and swingarm).

This one is made for a Benelli BN300 or BN600. Bought it on aliexpress.com for $78. It comes with a metal insert block that you have to leave off because the axle isn't long enough with it installed. I bought a couple lock washers, put them in the mount's hole, added a couple thin washers that are larger than the stock axle washer on and then the stock axle washer and nut. Worked perfectly. Just in case, I added a black tie wrap arounf the swingarm and mudguard mount. That way if the axle nut loosened (very unlikely) the mudguard can't pivot downward and hit the road.

Here's the install thread I posted for it:

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/385-r3-appearance-body/51937-installed-rear-mudguard-today.html

Here's a link to the sellers listings for it (price has gone up to $90 shipped):

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...nitiative_id=SB_20150922155234&shipCountry=US

Hope that helps...

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice man. I am a born and bred New Yorker but lived in the Springs for around 4 years while stationed at Ft Carson. Colorado is my second home. I had my old FZR600 back then when I lived there 1996-1999. Used to rip it on 115. Take it up 25 and ride it on 70!
That's cool.

Traffic up I-25 through Denver and West up I-70 has gotten really horrendous these days. No fun in a car, let alone a motorcycle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fang I think you ran out of possible mods lol. It looks awesome! Like how everything flows together. That slips is very sexy and almost looks like it came like that. The gold screws go well too. The vintage Yamaha stripes are cool. Those seats are bad ass. Definitely on top of my list! How is comfort? Also how are the new rubbers? That's 2nd on my list. One thing though im not feeling the Yamaha strip on the rear section.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fang I think you ran out of possible mods lol. It looks awesome! Like how everything flows together. That slips is very sexy and almost looks like it came like that. The gold screws go well too. The vintage Yamaha stripes are cool. Those seats are bad ass. Definitely on top of my list! How is comfort? Also how are the new rubbers? That's 2nd on my list. One thing though im not feeling the Yamaha strip on the rear section.
Seat is much more comfortable with the gel pad in it. Can't feel the seams on the new covers. Comfortable.

The S-20s are VERY grippy. Softer compound out towards the edges. I like them much better than the stock tires. They're more confidence-inspiring, too.

Strip on the rear section, I was thinking maybe I should have had the taper run the other way. Might look better. I could just replace the tail with the 2016 Matte Gray ones. ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
That's cool.

Traffic up I-25 through Denver and West up I-70 has gotten really horrendous these days. No fun in a car, let alone a motorcycle.
Aww bummer! I know Denver has grown, but really? I-25 and I-70 have traffic to the point where there's congestion? Crazy. I know it basically bisects Denver and is the main thoroughfare through the city to all the cross-street arteries like the 120th's, Arapahoe's, etc of the world, but man...the Speed Limit is still 75mph, right?

In NY, there are tons of people and there's going to be traffic but a lot of it could be avoided. For some reason in NY, long turns, inclines, merges, and any rubber necking event causes extraneous traffic. It's crazy. There is a small bridge that has merges going into it. It's called Kosciuszko bridge. It's not a big or long bridge, maybe 3 city blocks long, but it is a lik 20 degree incline going up halfway and the reverse the other half. People literally slow down on the highway going over the bridge to 20mph. Because of the merges, the traffic slows even more. It's insane. If there was no incline, the speed would be constant, but for some reason, the incline just mesmerizes people. It blows my mind.

I-25, given the layout and "design" of Devner's infrastructure would be hard to build around and relieve it's congestion. I-70 is arguably one of the most beautiful roads in the States. I can't believe it has that much traffic on it. 36 is a fun ride too! From Westminster to Boulder. Some fun hills and twists.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Aww bummer! I know Denver has grown, but really? I-25 and I-70 have traffic to the point where there's congestion? Crazy. I know it basically bisects Denver and is the main thoroughfare through the city to all the cross-street arteries like the 120th's, Arapahoe's, etc of the world, but man...the Speed Limit is still 75mph, right?

In NY, there are tons of people and there's going to be traffic but a lot of it could be avoided. For some reason in NY, long turns, inclines, merges, and any rubber necking event causes extraneous traffic. It's crazy. There is a small bridge that has merges going into it. It's called Kosciuszko bridge. It's not a big or long bridge, maybe 3 city blocks long, but it is a lik 20 degree incline going up halfway and the reverse the other half. People literally slow down on the highway going over the bridge to 20mph. Because of the merges, the traffic slows even more. It's insane. If there was no incline, the speed would be constant, but for some reason, the incline just mesmerizes people. It blows my mind.

I-25, given the layout and "design" of Devner's infrastructure would be hard to build around and relieve it's congestion. I-70 is arguably one of the most beautiful roads in the States. I can't believe it has that much traffic on it. 36 is a fun ride too! From Westminster to Boulder. Some fun hills and twists.
60mph through Denver now, from Lincoln Ave at the South end, all the way through. There's a lot of congestion, and not just at rush hour, but all the time.

When I moved to C.S. in 1994 you could drive North on I-25 and not have any car within 1/4 to 1/2 mile of you. Now, it flows well at 70-75mph but with pretty solid traffic. Gets much worse from Castle Rock on.

Summer sucks most because they're always closing down lanes to do repairs. Through Denver they've added lanes until there's no more room for any more without seizing private property and maybe not even then.

36 is also solid traffic now, all the way to Boulder. Very few breaks during daylight hours. From Boulder up to Estes Park is still good and most mountain roads still have little traffic.
Best bet is to head West on any State Highway, though Hwy 24 from C.S. up to Woodland Park has pretty heavy traffic now, too. :( You have to time your trips Westward and Eastward now on weekends or it's a slow go until Divide on Sat morning and Sunday late afternoon.

I've been here for 21 years and still can't believe how much it's changed.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You're done with mods now , Wikifang? The gray 2016 is nice though
Let's see, maybe do a matte gray tank cover? :)

If the U.S. doesn't get those colors, the online parts sellers here won't have them available. Have to order from the EU and pay high shipping costs. Could be a possibility....

Stay tuned.

Hmmm, might need to add a bunch of stickers to make it go faster...........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fang, you're an inspiration. I wouldn't of dared touch stock given how new I am, but with seeing all you've been able to accomplished gave me the courage to start somewhere. Sure, it's just a fender eliminator for now, but thanks for helping the rookies like us know what can be achieved.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fang, you're an inspiration. I wouldn't of dared touch stock given how new I am, but with seeing all you've been able to accomplished gave me the courage to start somewhere. Sure, it's just a fender eliminator for now, but thanks for helping the rookies like us know what can be achieved.
No worries. Always glad to help any way I can.

But beware! Once you start with Mods, you may not be able to stop. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts