Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance if someone has mentioned this before...But this mini-story might help prevent a headache to another new rider.

I park my bike in my backyard - To do so, I roll up to my side gate, stick the bike in neutral and leave it running, open the gate, get back on & ride to the back.
This time I apparently goofed. I got back on my bike, popped it into 1st and the bike stalled immediately. My initial thought was 'WTTTFFF' because the bike has 600 miles on it and I thought it had a computer issue or something already. So I put the bike back in neutral, started it, kicked it into 1st...same thing- bike died. I was confuzzled as ****.

Long story short, there is a kickstand sensor that will turn the bike off if shifted out of neutral with the kickstand down. Smart bike!! Lol...Or I'm just an idiot. Probably both.

Hopefully if someone reads this they wont start trippin if it happens
like I did. haha..

·
Registered
66 Posts
LOL! Good story bro lol it happens when we are new riders. Most newer bikes have a kickstand sensor to automatically shut the bike off it the kickstand is down and the bike is in gear. It's a "safety feature". My ninja 300 had it too. Lesson learned and you learned something new about your bike :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Haha well, prepare yourself for a couple of months shut downs ;) I had that the first 2k miles, warm up the bike, suit up in my overall, sit on the bike, make ready for departure and prrmmm, shut of. Kickstand on. Finally got this behaviour out of my mental system

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL! Good story bro lol it happens when we are new riders. Most newer bikes have a kickstand sensor to automatically shut the bike off it the kickstand is down and the bike is in gear. It's a "safety feature". My ninja 300 had it too. Lesson learned and you learned something new about your bike :)
Haha well, prepare yourself for a couple of months shut downs ;) I had that the first 2k miles, warm up the bike, suit up in my overall, sit on the bike, make ready for departure and prrmmm, shut of. Kickstand on. Finally got this behaviour out of my mental system
Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's definitely better than riding away with my kickstand down though lol :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is a good safety feature. Better to have the bike shut off instead of you riding off with the kickstand down. The first left hand turn you make with the kick stand down will be a doosey!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did this yesterday, picked up my new Blue R3 and drove it to my dads work. I am very new road rider and noone has ever mention the stand thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just this morning, the same WTF moment; my sequence was off, neutral => engine cut-off => stand down. For some reason, I decided to pull-up further in a parking spot and tried to start the bike three times, before I looked down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I was in first and just stopped to say something to my buddy. Felt like a dummy until I did it a 2nd time and realized the bike wanted to play games.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I knew exactly what you did when reading your OP without even reading what you figured it out to be.

I've been riding bikes for 10 years. On my Majesty and Vino if you put the kick stand down at all the engine would not start, period. That's because those bikes have no clutch, so you twist to go. So if the engine is running you can hurt yourself if the side stand is down. At least on the R3 you can start it with it down if it's in neautral.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorry in advance if someone has mentioned this before...But this mini-story might help prevent a headache to another new rider.

I park my bike in my backyard - To do so, I roll up to my side gate, stick the bike in neutral and leave it running, open the gate, get back on & ride to the back.
This time I apparently goofed. I got back on my bike, popped it into 1st and the bike stalled immediately. My initial thought was 'WTTTFFF' because the bike has 600 miles on it and I thought it had a computer issue or something already. So I put the bike back in neutral, started it, kicked it into 1st...same thing- bike died. I was confuzzled as ****.

Long story short, there is a kickstand sensor that will turn the bike off if shifted out of neutral with the kickstand down. Smart bike!! Lol...Or I'm just an idiot. Probably both.

Hopefully if someone reads this they wont start trippin if it happens
like I did. haha..
Ah yes.. The old kickstand down launch attempt. Im sure almost every rider has experienced it. Always remember this..
Learning from your mkstakes, and never giving up is how winning is done!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts