Yamaha R3 Forums banner

My R3 Race Build -2015 3k miles police impound

12K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  Buick J Wagner 
#1 ·
Picked up my R3 last week. It's a 2015 with an interested past. It was a impounded by the police for running weed from Colorado to New Mexico, crashed in a police chase.

I ended up getting it for a good price with a clean title. Decided to make it into my race bike for this year.

My other bike is a 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R so I will use that as my benchmark. The R3 should be quite the upgrade so I am excited.

So far I stripped it down to assess the damage. Good news is everything is straight from the crash other than the bars and the front fairing stay. I tried to bend back the front fairing stay but the metal was torn and bending them just made it break unfortunately. I will need to find a replacement.

I bent the bars back and took a bunch of measurements to make sure everything was straight. Pretty happy with the result there.

The other problem was that the stator cover had a little crack in it about a 1/4 inch long allowing oil to drip out. I took the cover off and filled the crack with epoxy resin (can't recall the brand but basically like JB Weld). This has fixed the problem, though I will likely go back and do another layer of the stuff at the next oil change for additional reinforcement. I also ordered a cover for additional protection.

Trying to get get the best bang for my buck out of race bits.
Thus far I know I'll be buying Pirelli tires. The rest I am waiting to see what is out there from friends that I can get used at a discount. Keeping my build under $2k is my goal, this is my budget Tires cost like $400 that's a big chunk. Right now I am likely going to keep the stock exhaust, I'll be spending money on suspension, bodywork, and all the other little bits like rear sets, clip ons, sprockets, levers, crash protection, paint/graphics/numbers, ...the list goes on and on.

I saw some dynos on stock vs. pipe and I feel fine with the stock setup in the short term on the exhaust. Looks like I would gain about 3hp with pipe and FI mapping unit which I will sacrifice for now. I took off the heat shield, and trimmed the hanger/passenger peg for a cleaner look.

The only other thing I have done thus far is I bent the bars back using a big ass steel sleeve and a steel bar on the end of the handle bar. Steering at the locks, and just gave it a couple of strong bends, worked really good.
I got the grinder out to remove the cable holders which were interfering with clearance on the remounted bars under the triple tree. I took the bars out for a wider/longer reach trying to make it just the same as my Ninja 250R and it feels really close.

See less See more
#2 ·
Stator cover protection I ordered

Before (crashed, mounted above triple tree)

After (repaired, mounted below triple tree)

More pics
front end damage

After stripping down, switching bars, and trimming exhaust hanger to remove passenger peg.

My ninja 250r

Should be getting more parts next week so I'll update this thread as I get more stuff going. Needs to be race ready by April 1st but I'd like to be testing in 2 weeks time so the clock starts now.

#4 ·
running weed with an R3?, really? So a guy with a backpack would have a max of 2-3 lbs of weed? How much you want to bet, it was some guy with less than a 1/4 lb. for personal use and was pulled over and thanks to civil asset forfeiture laws (New mexico, like other states that border Colorado love to use them) he is now out one R3.

Good luck with the bike (I'm not giving you a hard time, just wanted to jump on my soapbox)

#6 ·
Yes you have seen the bike on the MRA grid. It won the 250 production cup championship in 2016 but not with me riding it. I bought it last fall to play on for a while. Moving on, just sold it today. It was a great bike though I must say.

This is a little GoPro footage from a track day a couple of weeks ago at Pueblo Motorsports Park. You get crushed by the bigger bikes on the straightaway and then have fun passing them back in the corners.

I'll be racing the R3 in MRA this year though.

https://youtu.be/la_eztWzS9E

#8 ·
I picked up some parts today from a friend that recently sold his R3 race bike and had these leftovers.
China rear sets x 2, Woodcraft clip on handlebars, two different rear sprockets, brake pads, a revalved Yamaha R6 rear shock, race air filter, and a set of Pirelli Supercorsa SC1 150 rear, 110 front… a few other misc parts that I am forgetting.

I will try to get everything installed tomorrow if possible.

#10 ·
good luck on the build you already have some nicer parts in hand that whats already on my race bike lol

just wondering if you plan on parting any of the street stuff out? I'm looking for the headlight housing and left switch controls to restreet my bike...need to save on gas for commuting lol

#11 ·
Yes I have that stuff

Do you have any race parts that you can trade me for it.

I need race chain & front sprockets

front suspension stuff

smog delete stuff

swing arm spools

frame sliders

brake ever guard

steel braided brake lines

probably other stuff I am forgetting

#12 · (Edited)
Worked on the bike a bit today

Installed levers on the stock bars. The Woodcraft clips will be installed at a later time but I kinda like the stock bar setup under the triple tree so I will keep it that way for now.

Installed the Pirelli Supercorsa SC2 tires that I got (race takeoffs). I used spoons/levers and the front was a huge pain in the ass to get on the rim. I used my tire warmers to get the rubber pliable before installation and that helped a lot.

Removed kickstand. Installed the Mad Moto china rear sets. Someone asked my opinion of them on here. Haven’t used them other than around the neightbood for a test drive but I say they are sure worth the small investment (saw them online new for like $135 I think). The problem I had with the was that they were missing the original shift shaft linkage thing and the ones I had didn’t quite fit. I ended up grinding out the ball end center using a bolt and nut to attach them to both the shift shaft and the shifter foot lever. The nut detached at the end of my test ride so I need to do a way better job making sure they are on there good before track duty. Or I will look online for shift shaft that will work.
The other problem or potential problem was a weak spring for the rear brake foot control return. I ended up taking if off and bending it more so that it provided more spring tension for a more positive return which worked good, no brake drag after letting off the rear brake as there was prior to the adjustment of the the spring.

The other thing that I messed up was that I installed them regular shift vs. gp shift which is my preference for the track. I’ll have to go back and change that around.

I installed new front brake pads, some kind of racing compound but not sure what the brand it.
I also removed the stock R3 shock. I tried to fit the revalved R6 shock that I bought from my friend but it doesn’t fit. I sent a FB message to my friend Hammer who has a couple of season racing and winning on the R3 on how to mount this shock since he runs one. He said to cut out the tab there on the top mount, which I did. It still doesn’t have proper clearance. I posted over the suspension section of the forum hoping someone who has done the mod successfully could offer advise.

I took some pics of the work I did and I’ll post those soon.
Things to do:
install R6 rear shock
Adjust the rear shock
balance the wheels
reinstall the wheels
ad race chain and sprockets (need to order chain and front sprocket)

I ordered an eBay stator cover. The one that is one there is cracked from the original owners crash. I tried to repair it was a “JB Weld” type product from Loctite but it has not held unfortunately. I am still waiting for the to arrive. At the same time I will replace the fluids and install the new air filter (engine ice, full synthetic oil, fresh brake fluid, and fill up the gas tank. I will likely take it to the track for a testing/practice session later in the week. I want to start getting used to this baby and work out the kinks.

#15 · (Edited)
Tested the bike at the local track and things that I noticed, turns in really well good linear engine could use a little bit more bottom in though . Lacking ground clearance even with rear sets installed I was scraping the pegs pretty easily suspension way too soft, rear end moved around quite a bit .

I ordered a bunch of parts from YamahaR3 Racing (NortonFabrications) and some stuff on eBay including another set of China rear sets, and adapter plate to move back the rear sets even further.
18 tooth front sprocket 425 chain, Graves steering stop , woodcraft swingarm spools, traction dynamic fork internals , ninja 650 shock , Hot bodies tank cover and race seat, steel braided brake line for the front.
Should get the stuff by the end of the week and get it installed there's a track day on Saturday and I hope to test some of this equipment there .
I also took off the stock silencer and hanger to reduce weight and increase sound. I'll report if I feel any reduction in power.

#16 · (Edited)
Most of my stuff came today. Had a bit of time to work on the bike.
I removed the stock chain and stock front & rear sprockets. I installed the 18 tooth front sprocket and the 55 tooth rear spoket along with the 425 chain. I had to remove two links from the chain and then it fit good.

Changed the shifting to GP shift. Installed Galpher front steel braided brake line and bled the brakes with new fluid.
Installed a new front fairing stay (my other one came to me broken from previous owner). Installed Graves steering stop. I noticed that when I was riding the bike before that my brake side rear set was loose so I went in there and inspected what was going on, and unfortunately the bolt connecting the foot peg to the bracket was damaged. I had to use a spare peg that I had from my Ninja 250 because the one that broke used a stud type bolt that was broken off at the footpeg side. Pain in the ass but I got it to work. I've got a new set of China clip ons coming in the mail here in a couple of weeks.

I pulled out the Sawzall a trimmed up the plastic on the rear end. Should be getting my Hot Bodies race fairings here this weekend from a friend who sold his R3 race bike and has these left over. He's getting them painted for me but they were slacking and they aren't yet finished I guess.

Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to do the front forks. I'll be testing the new stuff on Saturday at High Plains Raceway here in Colorado. It's a great track.

#18 ·
Last scramble of work today on the bike before I hit the track for a true test.

I installed the Traction Dynamics fork internals kit from yamahar3racing (Norton Fabrications)
Never done shocks before so it was a learning experience.
Good how to write up that I followed here http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2016/...damper-rod-kit-cartridge-emulators-yamaha-r3/

Unfortunately found out that my right upper fork tube is bent from previous owners crash, new OEM cost $140 ouch! I will just work with what I have for now and see, I also noticed there is a slight bend in the front axel bolt, so I'll need to order another and install that soon.

Took it for a test drive around the block after the front suspension was done and it feels like a whole different machine. With the Graves steering stop and the much stiffer front suspension the R3 is starting to feel like a proper little racer.

I'll try to get some GoPro footage of the first track test tomorrow. Hopefully everything works out and nothing breaks... including myself :)

#20 · (Edited)
First real test of the R3 today. Just a quick report.

Overall a good 1st test. I put in about 35-45 laps. No issues with the bike other than some chattering from the front end when going over 95 mph (need to balance wheels and replace front fork inner tube and axel which are slightly bent).

Nothing broke and I feel pretty comfortable overall on the bike. The front end feels great and I love the addition of the Traxxion Dynamics fork internals and Graves steering stop. Starting to feel like a proper race bike too with that and the GP shift install which all worked great. I got a bit of oil on the bent fork tube so I think I have a tiny oil leak there. I ordered a new seal with the inner fork tube so when that all comes in I will change out the seal.

I got my fairings from my friend who brought them to the track today. They are hotbodies repainted gloss black. He said he wasn't happy with the job the painters did, but I think they look great personally. I ordered the tank cover and race seat section for R3Racing and those will arrive soon but will need paint since they come in grey primer.

The only problem was the rear end of the bike running the stock rear shock. I set the preload all the way stiff on the 7 setting I think it is. It is still too soft and moves around way to much. I have confidence in it when I am set and acceleration through and out of the corner, but when I am changing directions and under braking it's really sloppy feeling... or over bumps in the corners. I could ride with it but especially compared to how good the front end in feeling now I am looking forward to changing out the rear shock for the Kawi Ninja 650 shock I received today. I also have a Yamaha R6 shock that I might test, but I hesitate there because you need to cut the subframe cross section out to make room for the bladder on the shock. I had an R6 though and I loved the stock suspension on that bike for track duty.

Engine wise the power is good with a broad power band, but definitely I was working to try to keep up above 9k rpm at all times and mostly closer to 11,000 just below redline. There are some elevation changes that are fairly significant at High Plains Raceway in Byers, Colorado... if you get caught under 7k rpm on the R3 you are in trouble.

I was doing a lot of clutch modulation on the downshifts too trying to minimize the squirmy rear end action, a slipper clutch would've been nice but not a necessity in my opinion.

I got into a battle with another aggressive young racer also on a R3 and that was the only time during the 4 sessions that I ran where I really pushed the bike hard for about 3 laps. He passed me under braking on a tight downhill off camber right hander on the inside and gapped me pretty quick. I was able to catch him back and make a move on him another 1.5 laps later. His bike had pipe and was tuned and pimped out pretty good so it was nice to know that my bike with no tuning and a removed stock silencer only (no smog delete or anything), can still hang.

Before the next test I will install smog delete, fix front fork, install race fairings, install Ninja 650 shock, maybe install Woodcraft clip ons.

My class is stacked with awesome riders so I have no fantasy of winning the deal, but I feel like I am putting together a package that will be decent, and hold it's own.

The other cool thing was factory Yamaha MotoAmerica Superbike racer Jake Gagne made a guest appearance testing his new bike at the track day. He came by me on the straights a couple of times and I said hi to him. Seems like an awesome dude.

http://www.motoamerica.com/jake-gagne

#21 · (Edited)
Worked on the bike some more.
I installed the smog delete kit from Yamaha R3 racing, and removed the charcoal canister and hoses.
Installed the Woodcraft clip on bars, removed a bunch of handlebar wiring that I no longer need. Installed my Ninja 650 rear shock using a spacer set from Yamaha R3 racing. I also installed the Hot Bodies race fairings. I still have not painted or installed the Hot Bodies front fender, tank cover and race seat. I ordered some vinyl wrap so that is the next project. I am waiting on my China parts which include a steering damper, rear sets, rear set bracket, frame sliders, and preload adjusters. I also am also waiting on the new inner fork tube and front axel to replace the bent ones from the previous owners crash. I ordered some number plates from Drippingwet graphics that should be in soon. I still need to safety wire everything too... and balance my wheels. So much to do to get a bike race ready.

I'll be testing it at the track tomorrow.

#22 · (Edited)
Tested the bike on Saturday at the local kart track IMI which is a good little track for bikes.

Rear suspension and Clip ons feel great. Bike ran good though I am still slower than on my old 2011 Ninja 250r. I had supreme confidence in that bike and I am not there yet with the Yamaha unfortunately. The potential is there I just need to improve the bike and my riding.
My China rearset brackets came in. Still waiting on OEM inner fork tube and front axel bolt to replace the bent parts. My rear tire is pretty smoked now also and I had a few slides while testing. The Pirelli Supercorsa tire is hard to find in the sizes that fit the R3. It's a great tire but high price low supply will have me looking at other options in the short term until I can find a solution to that problem. Likely I will try the new Michelin Power RS or possibly Mitas.
Race school is scheduled for next weekend and the bike is about 70% there I would say.

Weather for race school looks poor in the forecast so I am expecting a cancellation/reschedule but we'll see I guess. Moving forward each time I ride the bike though so overall things are good.

#23 ·
Got a set of Pirelli Supercorsas mounted up today. 140 70 17 rear SC2 and 110 70 17 front SC1.
I previously was running a 150 60 17 rear but the Pirelli rep said that the higher profile of the 140 would be better for the bike geometry.

I also got some of my China parts in the mail today including rear set brackets & rear sets. My race number plates came in also with some vinyl auto wrap I ordered from US Cutter.

Unfortunately I have a dent in my front wheel which the tire guy found when he went to balance it. This is a result of the previous owners crash and would explain the high speed shutter I was feeling at the end of the straightaway over the speed of about 90 mph. Sucks. I will likely replace it.

I took apart the right fork with the bent inner fork tube and my new tube should come in tomorrow with the new axel which I will swap out. In the future I will not be buying a crashed bike (especially front end damage). Lesson learned PIA.

#28 · (Edited)
I put on frame sliders, fork sliders, and new windshield with custom name/number decals. I have been working on getting my sponsors finalized and I am nearly there and then I will have their logos made into decals for my bike. Racer school/orientation is next weekend. Little nervous about the hop in the front wheel but other than that I am feeling pretty good about the bike. I have Woody's Wheel Works in Denver that I was referred to so I sent them a service request to see if they can repair it. My clutch adjuster is broken as well (came that way) it works but might not pass tech inspection so I'll have to order that part too. The adjuster bolt snapped off on the inside of the clutch perch so hopefully I can get it out. Some things I also still need to do are safety wire the bike, put in water wetter (snowed here on Tuesday so glad I didn't do that yet), install rear set brackets and new rear sets. I might hold off on the rear sets until after my race school though.

#29 · (Edited)
Installed China rear sets and rear set brackets from R3racing.com. Everything seems good there and I am happy with the result though I would still like them a bit higher. You have to use an extra long shift shaft rod to make it work with the brackets and GP shift which you can get from R3racing.com. Installed China preload adjusters on the forks. They preload quite a bit upon install and give lots of adjustability to be able to tighten things up more than I think I will need but we shall see. They were sort of a pain to get on since you have to push down pretty hard on the springs before you could catch a thread to get them started. Worth the $15 I paid shipped though and I'm happy with them.
I also fixed a problem I was having with my throttle tube which was loose. There is a pin on the inside of the housing for the throttle that goes into a hole on the OEM bars. That pin broken so I fixed it back in with Loctite gel superglue and drilled a hole in my clip on that matched the OEM bar hole. Worked good so happy that I was able to fix. I also fabbed up a quick turn throttle by adding material to the existing throttle tube. I saw that some people on YouTube would use a zip ties glued in but I just ended up melting plastic (torch and melted zip tie plastic) onto the existing tube and smoothing and shaping it with my Dremel. Worked good though I would like the turn to be even quicker so I might open it up and add more plastic in the future. Still need to safety wire everything. Race school coming up this Friday evening for class session, and all of Saturday with instruction and practice races :) I tested the bike yesterday for a for one session at the local kart track. The Hot Bodies seat raises things up and gives a nice racer feel. I didn't hammer the bike much and took it easy, not entirely comfortable on it yet and look forward to putting to a real test at a big track with competition of other racers.

The bike looks quick at least. People at the gas station and track asking if it's a 1000cc or R6 or what... shocked when I tell 'em it's a 300 :)

#32 · (Edited)
Bike feels great now after test today at the big track.
Everything worked well. No more high speed shutter either which is a big relief. New Pirelli tires were awesome, suspension awesome, Hot Bodies race seat awesome. Just wanted more power and acceleration but oh well it's a 300. First race is in 2 weeks time and I feel like I am ready now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.