Yamaha R3 Forums banner

N2/WERA 2-hour ultralightweight endurance at VIR

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  airhead83 
#1 ·
Just signed up for the 2-hour endurance race at VIR in August. Anyone else going?? I just sold my trailer so not even sure how I'll make it there...probably just put it in the back of the truck and just take less stuff with me than I usually do, unless I can get another trailer by then.

Anyway, should be pretty interesting. Never been there before, never raced with WERA before, and never done an endurance race before...in fact, never been on the bike for more than 20 minutes at a time lol

#4 ·
First endurance race report: After only getting about 5-6 laps practice to learn the track, I started us off from a grid of 18 bikes. On the 3rd lap there was a red flag because 2 riders crashed and bikes were in the middle of the track. After about 15 minutes we went out for the restart but unfortunately 4 riders went down right away in turn 1 (that was not pretty, I have it on video I think). Another 12-15 minute delay followed that incident, then went out for the 3rd start of the race. Had a fun ride for about 10-12 laps running around with a guy on a CBR (either 250 or 300). He had a big disadvantage on the straights, but we passed each other a few times. Then I managed to pull away and put a gap between us running in 8th place and I was catching the guy in 7th. On about the 18th or 19th lap (i think?) I was right behind him on the straight when his shift lever fell off, so I didn’t have to work hard for that spot. With nobody else in sight and getting tired, I decided it was about time to pit in and let my teammate take over. A few laps into his session, there was another red flag and another delay of about 10 minutes. At this point we figured we could run the whole race without refueling. After the restart Jason (my teammate) was gradually improving his pace and he was in a group of 3 for several laps. He lost a few positions but we were down in 11th with just a few minutes left to go in the race when unfortunately the bike completely died on the 35th lap, lost all power, and he had to pull off. Because of that we lost a few more positions and finished in 14th (according to race monitor, haven’t seen official results), 8 laps down from the winner.
Overall it was a lot of fun, VIR is an awesome track, although very physical even on a little bike. Glad I did it, just wish we could’ve finished the race and that it wouldn't have been shortened by all those red flags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.