Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I ordered a new Ohlins shock for my R3 and it just came in today. I'm having a really hard time removing the shock and I'd like to see if any of you guys have any knowledge or experience with this. The top shock bolt comes out easy. You loosen the bolt off on the right hand side and just wack it out. On the bottom its satan. There is a hole on the right hand side for the bolt to come out to, but no way to wack it out on the left as the swingarm is in the way. I watched HardRacing's video on installing the JRI Shock, and the young lady in the video just pulls it out with a coat hanger. How on gods earth did she do that is beyond me. Please let me know if this makes sense. I have attached pictures below... Thanks so much.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Needle nose for me as well. Wiggling the shock with one hand, pulling the pin with the other.

Do you have the bike jacked up properly? If the spring is still loaded it will be much more difficult to pull that out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just changed out my rear shock and came up with another method of getting the lower bolt out.

Just barely get the rear tire off of the ground (1/32")

Make up a rod as per the attached photo and another straight piece (both 12" or so, soft aluminum)

Knock out the top bolt first with the driver

Put the straight piece under the chain and over the swing arm, knock the bolt as far as you can, then use the bent piece to knock the bolt out far enough to clear the swing arm on the right side. If you can't pull the rest of the way, it will be out enough to grab with vise grips, etc.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I can't remember how I did mine but I don't recall it being a PITA. I think I probably just used a magnet (assuming it is magnetic...can't remember what that bolt is made out of). If not, then a little wiggling did the trick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used a screwdriver and rubber mallet to tap the bolt out a bit, then needle nose pliers to pull the rest of the way. It helps to lift or drop the wheel a tiny bit with your foot to lessen the weight on the bolt.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I removed the rear wheel, propped the bike on a swingarm stand, then used ratchet straps from a ladder to hold the bike up once I dropped the rear stand. The bolt was a little tricky, but just needed the wiggle the swingarm up and down a bit. The real PitA was trying the break the bolts loose!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, had the back end off twice, first to add a riser, second time to take it off and install a kawasaki shock, so put the socket through, a good squirt of WD40 and start spinning it , at the same time put a flat screwdriver/crow bar at the other end and applied a bit of weight to the now rotating bolt, if you are lucky enough to have a second pair of hands, a good wiggle, will assist with the removal ( I didn't).
Now, I know some of you have had success dropping the top bolt first, but coming from an engineering/rigging background it is wise to keep the shock "hung" which will help keep the weight off the bottom bolt once it is loose.

good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I did mine I too followed the Hardracing video. the bottom bolt isn't that hard once you've been able to push it out a little enough use some needle nose pliers to pull it out. If you have the bike up on a jack under the exhaust be careful only needs to be high enough to spin the rear wheel. Have some one spot you at the same time if you need it and lift of the rear swingarm by hand and will take off the resting pressure off the bolt to slide out easy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts