Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 3 weeks since my m4 slip on install and now i have noticed a exhaust leak where the header meets the engine.
It could be either...

A)When i took of the header both gaskets fell out and onto the floor i wiped them off and then followed Sporttrackbikegear's advice and put a bit of ALL PURPOSE GREASE on them then back into the engine. In short i re-used the gaskets.

or

B)I didn't torque the flanges tight enough as both M4 and the Sporttrackbikegear install video did not provide any torque specs.

Should i be worried as i have may have done about 300kms(186 miles) with a exhaust leak.

I have done some research and found that there could be problems in the long run such as engine rebuild or burnt valves but don't know if i have them or not.

I can only tell you that when i hit it to around 9k rpms it pops and crackle( backfire i guess) i thought this was normal and nothing to worry about at all AM I WRONG?

In short is there any other problems i don't know and whats the torque specs for the nuts on the flange of the headers?

Thanks to all the members =(

·
Registered
545 Posts
nah the gaskets can be reused, retighten slow and even wipe out any debris. I have put grease in there a few times to hold them.

Those head nuts need to be pretty tight. Borrow loaner tool from auto part store.

The crack and pop is unrelated and because you need to look into a smog block off plate. $20-$25

·
Premium Member
971 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
"Replacing" the exhaust gaskets is always a great idea, but usually it is a matter of not having one in your back pocket. So you have to order one, and wait until it arrives. It's nice if you can remember to order them BEFORE you need them, but some people forget things like that. If your local dealer stocks them, you are in luck. But lately, I am finding "dealers" aren't stocking much of anything anymore. You go to the parts counter, and tell the kid what you need, and he orders it for you. I can do THAT at home on my computer!
I hate dealerships.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK i have tighten the bolts to spec and felt no pulsing air coming out only the heat so its looking good i guess thank you guys so much =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts