Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello R3 Friends,

My 2015 race bike surges to about 4K rpm when tooling through the paddock to get to the track. When on the track, it doesn't seem to be doing it (but for all I know it is still happening).

I had the Power Commander tuned in January 2020, but the symptom was happening last year, too.

Also, when upon revving the engine, it hangs a bit and comes back down slowly.

Is this a TPS problem, possibly? Are they known to go bad?

Could someone please post a link to the service manual? I can't seen to find a functioning link. Or, at least the pages dealing with the TPS?

Thank you!
--Justin
Springfield, OH

·
Registered
181 Posts
service manual

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
service manual
Hmmm, yeah, I saw that thread, but I click on download and nothing happens!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, got it downloaded. The manual suggests that if the TPS is bad, then the entire throttle body assembly is bad and must be replaced? Sounds wonky.

·
Registered
136 Posts
They do sell just the TPS sensor, you should be able to replace it. My search results seem to center around Indonesia where this bike is manufactured. You may want to search for R25 TPS sensor as the parts are shared with the R3 as well.

Just out of curiosity, what you are describing sounds like the bike is running extremely lean. Is there a check engine light on your dash? It should turn on if there is any sensor failure. If so, I would suggest using a OBD tool to scan the ECU and do a sensor test. This will greatly reduce the amount of guesswork you have to do. Also, I would suggest you try remove your power commander and see if this issue persists. A power commander acts as an intermediary and basically 'edits' the signal being sent by your ECU. If the power commander goes bad (which they are known to do), it can mess up the fuel table of the bike and cause your bike to run strangely. Might also be a bad tune. Hope you find out what it is!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts