Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I commute daily to work during the weekdays (90 km daily) and ride somewhat spirited on weekends. I have the stock Michelin Pilot Streets on it right now. They seem "ok" but I don't feel super planted on them, and they don't grip as much as I'd like them to in the twsites. Main reason I need new tires is because I noticed the previous owner put a plug in the rear tire. Either he did it, or got a shop to do it....anywho, I just don't feel comfortable knowing there's a plug in there without knowing who performed the work.
What tires would you recommend for weekday commuting and somewhat spirited weekend riding (twisties)? I posted a thread a couple months ago asking if you prefer the DRII's or S20's, but I'm not sure how much life I will get out of them as I will be doing plenty of commuting to work and back. Would I be better off getting a sport touring tire? Is there any decent sport touring tires that come in our tire sizes that have better grip than the Pilots?
Help a newb out! I posted something on GTA motorcycle forum, but they are all a bunch of c*ock suckers towards ppl that ride smaller bikes.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
For everyday commuting and "somewhat" spirited rides, I honestly think stock tires are ok. I ride the crap out of my bike, have gotten the stock tires to the edge with knee pucks scraping and don't mind them for just commuting. Some people have tracked the bike on stock tires. Me riding the crap out of my bike however, may just be "cruising" for someone else's riding style.

That said, for my peace of mind, I switched the stock tires out early because I wanted to track the bike and I feel if you don't have confidence in a bikes components, that really affects your riding. That's one thing I didn't want on the back of my mind at the track.

I switched to S20 evos because I have used them on a bigger bike and really liked them.

Just accept that with more grip, you will always lose mileage. Just like with bikes, there is no one tire does all. I would be happy to get 4-4.5k miles out of S20's on the R3.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The stock tires are good for commuting. I left the stock tires on my R3, but I don't push it through corners.
I pushed it once, and it wouldn't hold a line. The whole bike drifted out of my lane. That told me all I needed to know.
Since then, I just don't push it. The stock tires will last a long time. I have 2,400 miles on my R3, and the stock tires
still look brand new. I run 30psi in the front, and 32psi in the rear. I weigh 155lbs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I do something very similar and have really liked my Metzler z8s. Commute during the week, canyons/one or two track days a year on mine. You will have to bump to a 150 in the rear for the Metzler, but they offer decent life and much better grip. Ive got close to 5k miles on my set and they have plenty of life left. I'm expecting 8-10k miles out of the rear. I got 11k out of the stock pilot for reference.

Moving to a 150 rear in general allows you quite a few new choices in sport touring, I know the pilot road 4s come in 150, and I believe the angel st does as well. Any 3 of these tires would be excellent choices for a high longevity, good grip compromise.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I commute daily to work during the weekdays (90 km daily) and ride somewhat spirited on weekends. I have the stock Michelin Pilot Streets on it right now. They seem "ok" but I don't feel super planted on them, and they don't grip as much as I'd like them to in the twsites. Main reason I need new tires is because I noticed the previous owner put a plug in the rear tire. Either he did it, or got a shop to do it....anywho, I just don't feel comfortable knowing there's a plug in there without knowing who performed the work.
What tires would you recommend for weekday commuting and somewhat spirited weekend riding (twisties)? I posted a thread a couple months ago asking if you prefer the DRII's or S20's, but I'm not sure how much life I will get out of them as I will be doing plenty of commuting to work and back. Would I be better off getting a sport touring tire? Is there any decent sport touring tires that come in our tire sizes that have better grip than the Pilots?
Help a newb out! I posted something on GTA motorcycle forum, but they are all a bunch of c*ock suckers towards ppl that ride smaller bikes.
Thanks guys!
Hey buddy! Mike over at Corsa actually has tires in his back room! If he doesn't have the size you need / want, he can order them in. I actually asked him about it and I think he has the ones that would fit our bikes. BTW, this weekend is supposed to be 9 degrees - I might take my bike out for a bit!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I do something very similar and have really liked my Metzler z8s. Commute during the week, canyons/one or two track days a year on mine. You will have to bump to a 150 in the rear for the Metzler, but they offer decent life and much better grip. Ive got close to 5k miles on my set and they have plenty of life left. I'm expecting 8-10k miles out of the rear. I got 11k out of the stock pilot for reference.

Moving to a 150 rear in general allows you quite a few new choices in sport touring, I know the pilot road 4s come in 150, and I believe the angel st does as well. Any 3 of these tires would be excellent choices for a high longevity, good grip compromise.
Thank you for the recommendation. I will consider these tires! What size did you install of the Metzler Z8? I can only see 150/70 17, but I've read on the forums that if you go up to a 150 we should have a 150/60 or 150/65 in order to keep the same circumference etc (I may be wrong though)
I have been leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Street Radial and Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300. Not quite too sure on how much better the Pilot Street Radials are, but the Dunlop Sportmax seem to get great reviews..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey buddy! Mike over at Corsa actually has tires in his back room! If he doesn't have the size you need / want, he can order them in. I actually asked him about it and I think he has the ones that would fit our bikes. BTW, this weekend is supposed to be 9 degrees - I might take my bike out for a bit!
Hey! Did Mike say which tires he has on hand? The only downfall in purchasing tires from Mike is that when I bring them to a shop I will need to pay full price for mounting and balancing, where if you get the tires from the shop that's installing them they heavily discount the labour $$.
I saw the forecast also!!! Double digits! I am really itching to take the bike out also, but there is a ton of salt on the roads :(

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation. I will consider these tires! What size did you install of the Metzler Z8? I can only see 150/70 17, but I've read on the forums that if you go up to a 150 we should have a 150/60 or 150/65 in order to keep the same circumference etc (I may be wrong though)
I have been leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Street Radial and Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300. Not quite too sure on how much better the Pilot Street Radials are, but the Dunlop Sportmax seem to get great reviews..
150/70. No problems with it. It will put your speedo off by 1% or so, but that's pretty negligible

·
Registered
140 Posts
If youre commuting 90km a day stick with the Pilot Streets. They wont have the same level of grip that Rosso 2's or S20's have but you wont be squaring off the tyre.

I have been commuting on Rosso 2's for about 6-7000km now and the middle patch is a liiitle bit square, but if youre not riding aggressively around town then you wont keep the tyre profile somewhat round.

Since ill still be doing plenty of commuting on it, ill be switching back to Pilot Streets. And I will miss all that extra grip.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You'll get a lot of varied opinions on tires, so here my 0,02$

I have the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. They're plenty good for the occasional track day and offer good control for spirited riding; basically you don't need to think/worry about grip- unless it's very cold, of course. Good feedback characteristics too.

On the flip side, I have 8k km on them and there's good life left. So as a commuter, not too bad. I did have to upsize the rear to a 150/60 to get fitment, but no real issues there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'll get a lot of varied opinions on tires, so here my 0,02$

I have the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. They're plenty good for the occasional track day and offer good control for spirited riding; basically you don't need to think/worry about grip- unless it's very cold, of course. Good feedback characteristics too.

On the flip side, I have 8k km on them and there's good life left. So as a commuter, not too bad. I did have to upsize the rear to a 150/60 to get fitment, but no real issues there.
I am the most convinced on these tires! I think these are gunna be the ones. Rave reviews also for both commuting/having fun in twisties.
Thanks for all the recommendations guys! You have all been very helpful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts