Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So, I hate to said I had my bike for a few weeks now. And sadly I had a little accident this last week. I was at the mall and made a bad turn in the parking lot. Ended up tipping over at a low speed. I scratched up the left side of the bike and a few more small scuffs. The only other think I'm worried about is that the shift got jammed in a little bit. Lucky, I was right by a Sears auto repair and they helped me get it out enough to get home. What should I do?? I just need a little help. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
227 Posts
the the black area and clutch lever..... I would use a sharpie for the black(told by dealer service dept, just simply works on my mirror/tail light)
and just sand down the scuffs on clutch lever. I would buy a new one for the clutch if it's bent($20 bucks at dealer, it's a good "protection" if i drop again lol)

your shift lever looks fine to me. I dropped it once on the left side and jammed it in. I just bent it out with pivoting out using random tools in toolkit(pretty ghetto way but works on mine)
Being a new rider and my first bike, I don't plan on keeping my bike in pristine condition or anything, lowest maintenance within perfect safety measure is my ideology for the moment

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you had to bend the shifter back out to clear the linkage? I'd go ahead and replace it. Those things are made of "pot metal," cheap and brittle. Might last you as long as you own the bike, might have been weakened enough to break when you're least prepared to deal with it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah shifter looks fine. I understand it was bent in and people hammered it straight, but that should be fine. Clutch I wouldn't worry about unless bent.

edit: Yam suggest to replace shifter as being better safe than sorry, that's truly your call. I had to do the same for my wife's bike and its been fine. But I will eventually replace it- the only thing preventing me from doing so is that mofo costs 50 bucks itself which is bleh.

To me personally, I would only replace the one fairing. The main side panel with the Yamaha on it, which has the brunt of the cosmetic damage. Picture 1, the lower silver portion of picture 2, and the last picture. That's just one fairing. And it roughly 100 dollars after shipping.

1WD-XF83L-30-P1

That is the part number you need. Enter that into google and choose whichever seller you want to buy it from. Just take note that the decals won't be included, you need to buy that separate.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Yeah shifter looks fine. I understand it was bent in and people hammered it straight, but that should be fine. Clutch I wouldn't worry about unless bent.

edit: Yam suggest to replace shifter as being better safe than sorry, that's truly your call. I had to do the same for my wife's bike and its been fine. But I will eventually replace it- the only thing preventing me from doing so is that mofo costs 50 bucks itself which is bleh.

To me personally, I would only replace the one fairing. The main side panel with the Yamaha on it, which has the brunt of the cosmetic damage. Picture 1, the lower silver portion of picture 2, and the last picture. That's just one fairing. And it roughly 100 dollars after shipping.

1WD-XF83L-30-P1

That is the part number you need. Enter that into google and choose whichever seller you want to buy it from. Just take note that the decals won't be included, you need to buy that separate.

Yep, fairing is $75.00 ($95 shipped) at procaliber.com Order a couple of the other parts you need, like the clutch lever (for $13.00) and the complete shift lever set (for $50) and shipping is free. So all for $138 shipped.

Plus, ALL of the decals ARE already on the fairing and so are all the clips on the backside. Plug n' Play. And you'll have it all in about 5 days.

Easy Peasy

Fairing = Part # 1 here:
http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/a/yam/54fdc9a387a86510e8210420/cowling-1

Clutch lever = Part #11 here:
http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/a/yam/54fdc9a687a86510e821042b/handle-switch-lever

Shift lever set = Part #11 here:
http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/a/yam/54fdc99d87a86510e8210402/shift-shaft

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Someone was asking me about buying the right side of my OEM fairings, but I will still have the left side available if you're interested, have some other parts left too. I have a blue bike also and I'm in San Diego. Email me if interested.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
If you had to bend the shifter back out to clear the linkage? I'd go ahead and replace it. Those things are made of "pot metal," cheap and brittle. Might last you as long as you own the bike, might have been weakened enough to break when you're least prepared to deal with it.
Nope - steel, not zinc.
And in a pinch, you can hammer them back out - won't be pretty, but it'll work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wow, thanks everyone for the help. Means a lot to me. I really enjoy this bike. And glad there is a helpful community. I will looking into everything this week. As for the shifter. All we did was pull it out maybe an inch or so with some pliers.

Also to the person selling just the left side I shall email you.

Thanks everyone!! Great people around here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, just took a look at the bike even more. Looks like the kick stand flat base seems to be bent a little. Best way to fix that?? replace??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts