Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in march, I was came extremely close to buying a used 2015 R3 off of some guy who was upgrading to a bigger bike. Just before I sealed the deal however, I learned that Yamaha Canada was offering a free Shark Evo One helmet with the purchase of a new R3! So I decided to go for a brand new bike instead. I picked out a matte black 2017. The salesman took a measurement of my head to determine the size of my helmet and send to Yamaha. They said it would take a couple weeks for the helmet to arrive so I bought a cheap $200 helmet so I could ride my bike in the meantime.

A month later I still hadn't received my helmet so I called the dealer to figure out what was going on. They said that they would contact Yamaha and get back to me in a couple days. Three weeks later - no helmet and no call from the dealership.

I called back, spoke the the salesman and got told the same thing again! "I will contact Yamaha and call you back on Monday". I waited almost another month and then went to the dealership and spoke with the owner. He told me that he would send Yamaha an email right away and give me a call the next day. Another few weeks later I called back and got told the same thing again!

At this point I'm getting pretty pissed off. Not just because I don't have the helmet yet, but also because of how the dealership has been neglecting me. Two months later and they've failed to call me back three times. I doubt they even contacted Yamaha to inquire about my helmet at all. I decided to contact Yamaha Canada's head office myself. I told them the whole situation, they got my contact information and said they'd get back to me (sounds really familiar lol). Less than 20 minutes later, the stealership calls me and tells me that Yamaha ran out of my size. They then told me I could pick any helmet from their store as long as it was under $250. That's nice of them, but the Shark Evo is worth around $650 as advertised by Yamaha on their banner. I already have a $200 helmet that I bought so I could ride my bike. They said that they won't give me a helmet of equal value, nor will they refund me the difference in cash or store credit. So I call Yamaha again and confirm that the dealership should be offering me a helmet of equal value. The Yamaha lady said again that she would look into it and then call me back! I'm getting real tired of hearing this. It's been a week since that last phone call and I haven't heard back from them.

What should I do? I've lost all faith in the dealership. I paid for that bike in cash. It's pretty clear that they got my money and now they don't give a **** about me anymore. But I can't believe a reputable company like Yamaha can be so unprofessional. Should I keep calling them or take to to a higher level? Perhaps their North American HQ?

Sorry for the long post. Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. All prices are in CAD
P.P.S. Here's a picture of the ad I saved shortly after buying my bike.

·
Super Moderator
936 Posts
That's a pretty awesome deal if you can get it squared away. This is a really busy time of the year for dealers and sometimes they unfortunately let things slip through the cracks. I'm not making excuses for them, but s**t happens. Get the name and number of the regional Yamaha sales team and take it with you to your local dealer. Ask again if they can resolve the problem. If not make it clear your unhappy and will go "over their heads" if need be. I'm not sure a helmet of lesser value would satisfy me either. Especially since your decision to purchase the bike at that price was what you bargained for. Good Luck. I'd hope they can work something out, hopefully to your satisfaction.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Option #1)
Just call Yamaha and cut out the middleman that clearly doesn't care enough to help you.
Get a hold of Yamaha's customer relations, tell them what's going on and I'm guessing they'll hook you up. I'd also be surprised if they didn't ask for details on the dealership that isn't working well with you.

Option #2)
Talk to the dealership's highest manager and explain to him that you are about to contact Yamaha to explain to them that you cannot get decent service from his dealership. You'll have a new helmet in a few days. LOL

·
Super Moderator
936 Posts
Option #1)
Just call Yamaha and cut out the middleman that clearly doesn't care enough to help you.
Get a hold of Yamaha's customer relations, tell them what's going on and I'm guessing they'll hook you up. I'd also be surprised if they didn't ask for details on the dealership that isn't working well with you.

Option #2)
Talk to the dealership's highest manager and explain to him that you are about to contact Yamaha to explain to them that you cannot get decent service from his dealership. You'll have a new helmet in a few days. LOL
Much more direct than my suggestion, and probably more effective. Given his frustration with his dealership, a much better idea than mine.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well there's a reason people refer to them as "stealerships" lol They're not all as bad, but unfortunately many of them are. I would be pretty pissed too, but remember that dealerships are independently ran. Unless this was a Yamaha factory promotion, they don't really have much to do with it. Dealers can have promotions like this whenever they please, on their own, separate from the manufacturer.

On the other hand, if you read in the lower left hand corner of that ad, it does say "limited quantities and sizes", which likely means that when they run out, you simply don't get a helmet and that "great" deal isn't so great anymore. The most upsetting part for me would definitely be all the ignorance they displayed over the course of all that time. It annoys the **** out of me when people say "I'll call/email you back soon" and then never do. I deal with that **** at work all the time unfortunately.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally, after a lot more arguing with the store staff, I got my helmet! One of the other customers had their helmet come in but she didn't really care for it so they gave me hers. They gave her the $250 store credit instead. Poor girl fell for it.

·
Super Moderator
936 Posts
Finally, after a lot more arguing with the store staff, I got my helmet! One of the other customers had their helmet come in but she didn't really care for it so they gave me hers. They gave her the $250 store credit instead. Poor girl fell for it.
Glad you got it squared away to your satisfaction. Enjoy.:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Option #1)

Option #2)
What you don't understand is yamaha doesn't have much say over what a dealership does. No dealership works for yamaha, they just sell the bikes.

·
Super Moderator
936 Posts
What you don't understand is yamaha doesn't have much say over what a dealership does. No dealership works for yamaha, they just sell the bikes.
I'll agree with you that the dealers are independent owners. But to say Yamaha has no say as to how they operate their Yamaha dealerships is, I believe, understating Yamaha's involvement. While they probably would not get too excited about a helmet promotion, anything involving their bikes, or service of same, is another story. Just my opinion:|

·
Registered
269 Posts
The deal also mentions:

limited quantity and sizing; helmet will be shipped to dealers upon warranty registration.

So you need to realize that 1) you're not guaranteed a helmet due to the "limited quantity and sizing" bit; and, 2) you bike needed to be registered for warranty to qualify.

It's possibly you failed one or both items here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The deal also mentions:

limited quantity and sizing; helmet will be shipped to dealers upon warranty registration.

So you need to realize that 1) you're not guaranteed a helmet due to the "limited quantity and sizing" bit; and, 2) you bike needed to be registered for warranty to qualify.

It's possibly you failed one or both items here.
True, however the dealer assured me that the bike would be registered for warranty before the deadline. Also, I feel like it's the dealer's job to inform me about the limited quantity of helmets before selling me the bike, which they didn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts