Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i purchased my new 2019 r3 about 3 weeks ago since then i have filled the tank up to the max on the first day i took delivery and then again at about 120 ish miles to the brim because it was down to the last bar i am now at 1 bar again with 230 miles on the clock which doesn't seem to add up shouldn't this bike do closer to 200miles per tank?.

also i have noticed an oil looking patch under my foot stand but away from the tank overflow tube, from what i can tell its not oil and pouring water over the patch didnt make a rainbow effect so not sure what is causing it.

garage i brought the bike from isn't open today so just looking for some quick advice or to be told i am being overcautious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry maybe it was the way i worded it, the bike is currently on 230 miles total but i have filled the bike up to full 2x and its currently sat in my drive with 1 bar again
so even if i was riding it hard which i am not as im breaking the bike in it would be around 115miles per tank

·
Super Moderator
1,006 Posts
The R3's fuel gauge isn't a good indicator of what your bike's MPG is. How many gallons/liters of fuel did you pump in when you filled-up?.. and how many miles/kilometers did you travel between fill-ups? If you can verify the gauge and actual MPG are grossly off, mention it to your Yamaha dealer's service manager, so they can document or make corrections.
Keep in mind.. your new 2019 bike has been sitting there waiting on you for some time.. the 2021's will be out in November in the US. And it's probably had fuel in the tank since it's been displayed. It's possible the fuel gauge/sending unit has collected fuel gung around electrical or mechanical points.. that will likely clear itself after new fuel is run through the system for a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The R3's fuel gauge isn't a good indicator of what your bike's MPG is. How many gallons/liters of fuel did you pump in when you filled-up?.. and how many miles/kilometers did you travel between fill-ups? If you can verify the gauge and actual MPG are grossly off, mention it to your Yamaha dealer's service manager, so they can document or make corrections.
Keep in mind.. your new 2019 bike has been sitting there waiting on you for some time.. the 2021's will be out in November in the US. And it's probably had fuel in the tank since it's been displayed. It's possible the fuel gauge/sending unit has collected fuel gung around electrical or mechanical points.. that will likely clear itself after new fuel is run through the system for a while.
thanks seems like solid advice ill go fill the bike up tomorrow and keep track of miles/and how much i put in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fuel economy could be that low if you are riding really hard or at quite high speeds on the freeway with stock gearing and really strong headwinds the whole time. Remember that the fuel reserve on this bike is 0.8 gallons, so from full down to reserve is about 2.9 gallons. At 40 mpg, that amount of fuel (full to reserve) would get you 116 miles. In my experience, around 40 mpg is the lowest this bike will get if ridden under said conditions constantly. I think one bar is something like 25 or 30 miles worth of fuel, roughly, so if you're filling up when you hit one bar, you might be getting like 50 mpg. Again, that would still be under pretty aggressive/high speed riding. Also keep in mind that the fuel meter will often show an extra bar when the bike is upright as opposed to leaned onto the side stand, so you could be filling up at more like 1.5 or 2 bars left, which would put your fuel economy a bit higher to around where it ought to be. Just some quick thoughts... It's probably fine haha.

***EDIT: I just noticed that you are in the UK, which uses imperial gallons (1 imperial gallon is equal to about 1.2 US gallons), so the numbers above are going to be a bit different LOL. Still, the ideas are the same...possible reasons for low fuel economy, along with possibly filling up with more like two actual bars left on the meter.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Fuel economy could be that low if you are riding really hard or at quite high speeds on the freeway with stock gearing and really strong headwinds the whole time. Remember that the fuel reserve on this bike is 0.8 gallons, so from full down to reserve is about 2.9 gallons. At 40 mpg, that amount of fuel (full to reserve) would get you 116 miles. In my experience, around 40 mpg is the lowest this bike will get if ridden under said conditions constantly. I think one bar is something like 25 or 30 miles worth of fuel, roughly, so if you're filling up when you hit one bar, you might be getting like 50 mpg. Again, that would still be under pretty aggressive/high speed riding. Also keep in mind that the fuel meter will often show an extra bar when the bike is upright as opposed to leaned onto the side stand, so you could be filling up at more like 1.5 or 2 bars left, which would put your fuel economy a bit higher to around where it ought to be. Just some quick thoughts... It's probably fine haha.

***EDIT: I just noticed that you are in the UK, which uses imperial gallons (1 imperial gallon is equal to about 1.2 US gallons), so the numbers above are going to be a bit different LOL. Still, the ideas are the same...possible reasons for low fuel economy, along with possibly filling up with more like two actual bars left on the meter.
Today i hit 114 in hot thermal winds!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts