Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all!

I'm swapping out my fork internals for a full set Traxxion goodies I got from Jesse. Shouldn't be an issue as I've had these very forks apart a couple of times and Jesse provides really good directions.

However, even with the correct allen/socket I can't get the darn bolt to budge!!! Ugh!!!!!! The forks are held securely in a wooden vice. I'm using an extended 8mm allen in a 3/8 in. drive. I weigh a stout 260 pounds (think defensive tackle build) and I am really leaning on these bolts.... Nothing!!???

Tomorrow morning I'm going to see if I can find an 8mm extended allen for a 1/2 in. breaker bar I have. I realize they may have used loctite, so I could try heat also. I'm not crazy about using a propane torch because there is always a little oil left in the fork, but I could heat up the bolt with a soldering iron and see if that helps?

Has anyone been able to overcome some really stuck damper rod bolts? If you did please tell how you got them out! I've currently got the front end of my bike stripped down and my forks in pieces so I'd love to wrap this up tomorrow.

Thanks ahead of time for any constructive ideas!

Giff

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I did my own forks but installed ohlins. The forks should be hit with an impact wrench first. That hammering action will loosen them up. I used my cordless first because I didn't want to bust out the much harder hitting 1/2 drive impact and break the bolt. That loosened it enough for me to remove them. You will want to either use a wooden broom stick to apply pressure on the damper rods to keep it from rotating or to reinstall the spring, preload tubes and cap to also add pressure onto the damper rod. Spring, preload tube and just your hand may be enough pressure to hold the damper if you use an impact wrench again after breaking it loose initially. If you don't have some kind if pressure on the rod after breaking it loose, it will just continue to spin.

Good luck!

Edit: re-read your post. Don't use th breaker bar. I am about half your size but I have broken rotor bolts on my ninja's rims before lol. Wasted a perfectly good rim. Last thing you need is a broken bolt inside your fork leg.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did my own forks but installed ohlins. The forks should be hit with an impact wrench first. That hammering action will loosen them up. I used my cordless first because I didn't want to bust out the much harder hitting 1/2 drive impact and break the bolt. That loosened it enough for me to remove them. You will want to either use a wooden broom stick to apply pressure on the damper rods to keep it from rotating or to reinstall the spring, preload tubes and cap to also add pressure onto the damper rod. Spring, preload tube and just your hand may be enough pressure to hold the damper if you use an impact wrench again after breaking it loose initially. If you don't have some kind if pressure on the rod after breaking it loose, it will just continue to spin.

Good luck!

Edit: re-read your post. Don't use th breaker bar. I am about half your size but I have broken rotor bolts on my ninja's rims before lol. Wasted a perfectly good rim. Last thing you need is a broken bolt inside your fork leg.
Ah, good advice about the breaker bar. I've broken a few nasty, old, stubborn bolts in hard to reach places with the "persuader" so you're right I don't want to break these. My only problem is I don't own an impact wrench, I guess I could buy a cheap one tomorrow for about $100. Do you think the combination of a quit hit the impact and then back to the regular allen/socket will get them out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Ah, good advice about the breaker bar. I've broken a few nasty, old, stubborn bolts in hard to reach places with the "persuader" so you're right I don't want to break these. My only problem is I don't own an impact wrench, I guess I could buy a cheap one tomorrow for about $100. Do you think the combination of a quit hit the impact and then back to the regular allen/socket will get them out?

Thanks!
Yes I do think it will get them out. I got my little cordless ryobi for less than a $100. That's cheaper than a new fork leg and it's something I use around the house/garage/track anyways. Don't be cheap with the impacts, a few secnds worth won't do any harm to it. I actually just ran it till the bolt spun on the first leg. The second one, I put the regular socket wrench on to take the bolt off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts