Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a medium sized saddlebag, I have checked out a few of them in person at stores near my area but all of them have a very limited collection that will fit the bike.

I have been looking online and I found the Nelson-Rigg SPRT-40 Spirit Black Sport Saddle Bag which I think will fit, but wanted to see what some of you are/have been using.

Can anyone please suggest a saddlebag for my R3?

Thanks

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hepco and becker make a nice set for our bike which I have, but they are very spendy. Outside of that, coretech, Nelson rigg, fieldsheer, etc all make universal soft bags that will work, just a matter of looking at volumes and deciding which you like the look of.

Whichever of the softbags you decide on will most likely take some creative mounting to keep them from swinging in under the tail, which I hated about them.

Hepco set on my bike

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went with the Nelson Rigg sport bags, but due to the extreme taper of the tail section it took some creative mounting to make it look presentable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went with the Nelson Rigg sport bags, but due to the extreme taper of the tail section it took some creative mounting to make it look presentable.
How'd you go about doing them? I just got the Nelson Riggs in the mail - but can't seem to figure out a good way to mount them - they seem really wide and a bit floppy.

Any advice?

·
Registered
89 Posts
How'd you go about doing them? I just got the Nelson Riggs in the mail - but can't seem to figure out a good way to mount them - they seem really wide and a bit floppy.

Any advice?

I mounted the bags on top of the seat. I fabricated a small piece of thin plywood bent to follow the contours of the seat, dampen the plywood in the area you want to bend and clamp it in that position until dry. I mounted the bags on top of the plywood on top of the seat. Bags are solid and look ok.

Sorry, I don't have any pics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow - "creative" mounting indeed. I'm impressed with your woodworking skills. I'm definitely not at that level - I can see how that would handily solve the issues.

Bluebird - I have them strapped down to the passenger footpegs, but they still seem a little janky without anything in them.

Thanks for the info: I think I'm sending these back to Revzilla in favor of a large tailbag.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow - "creative" mounting indeed. I'm impressed with your woodworking skills. I'm definitely not at that level - I can see how that would handily solve the issues.

Bluebird - I have them strapped down to the passenger footpegs, but they still seem a little janky without anything in them.

Thanks for the info: I think I'm sending these back to Revzilla in favor of a large tailbag.
I was about to order these if they are the sprt-40 off amazon. Now I'm worried about the mounting. The guy with the ninja 300 and he little cbr said they were easy to install and work great in the comments. I don't have the skills to bend things and weld stuff though

·
Registered
30 Posts
I build mine

I build mine they are prettty small but i use them just for tools bungy cords and some cleaning rags.

i was going to post some pics but forum says "To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post." so until later I guess

·
Registered
143 Posts
I build mine they are prettty small but i use them just for tools bungy cords and some cleaning rags.

i was going to post some pics but forum says "To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post." so until later I guess

I just bought these. I feel that the size is perfect

·
Registered
47 Posts
do they have to be saddlebags?

I use the Kriega US20, mounts right on top of my passenger seat using a hook system which has the loops under the seat. It sits perfectly on top and isn't too small or too wide. If you need more storage space, you can get two US10's and attach them to the side of the US20 for a total of 30 litres of storage room. Check it out maybe?

·
Registered
24 Posts
do they have to be saddlebags?

I use the Kriega US20, mounts right on top of my passenger seat using a hook system which has the loops under the seat. It sits perfectly on top and isn't too small or too wide. If you need more storage space, you can get two US10's and attach them to the side of the US20 for a total of 30 litres of storage room. Check it out maybe?
I too use Kriega. A US30, US20 and a US10. I will never go back to regular saddles again. Why? Because waterproof is truly the way to go. You never have to even think about whether items will get wet or not. No more incredibly impractical and fussy rain covers to ever have to place over the saddles again (if you haven't lost them) at inopportune times when it's threatening rain. Imagine what it'd be like to have to stop on the side of the road, take out a cover, and place it over your car's roof each time you "thought" it might rain. Then you can imagine how convenient rain covers are.

And every set of saddles I've purchased that sits across the pillion seat took more work and time than expected to fasten on the bikes properly, and even then, they shifted during rides and generally weren't very secure. The Kriegas quickly snap in and out (so quick and easy), and are remarkably secure. They stay firmly planted at all times. And they can be quickly transferred to any bike you have in your stable - or any new acquisition.

The Kriegas are relatively expensive though. But they are also very well built and ooze quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts