Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I bought my R3 about three weeks ago. I wanted to learn as much as I could on my own (With Youtube and forums) before taking some lessons in traffic school in order to avoid unnecessary costs. Unfortunately, while learning to start on an uphill, I somehow managed to overrev the bike and it got out of control.

I think it was becase I was using the front brake accidentally instead of the rear brake. No doubts it was the reason why it was so hard to get some gas and get it moving. Once I got a hang of it I accidentally put too much gas and went to do a wheelie and fell of haha. It could have ended much worse than I expected from seeing of what the other guys in this forum posted.

Now I want to reapir the bike for the first time and there are only a few minor things I have to replace, but I need your help with choosing the parts on Partszilla and ProCaliber. Have a look at the pictures of the damage here:

ttps://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4Y4GpqLr2XKODFhdXdCZnhweWs&usp=sharing

The most worrying part is the thing that holds the clutch lever. As you can see in the first picture, the clutch goes below the handlebar because of the bent thing I don't know the name of. Is it just the cluch lever that got bent or is it the black thing that holds it? In that case how do I fix it correctly?

Second thing is the flasher light and the front part of the cowling. Flasher light is easy to obain and install but does anyone know what the front part of the fairing is called? The drawing on Partzilla is confusing for a newbie.

Otherwise, the other scratches fell minor and I can live with that except that I have lowered the bikes value.

Tips to riders in my situation: Look up the steps you need to take carefully before learning something new. I didn't do it this time and it will cost me around 200$.

·
Registered
198 Posts
OEM Parts are not badly priced for this bike. Take the bike to a dealer and have them help you order the parts since there could be damage you aren't seeing and parts you will need outside of what you think you need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OEM Parts are not badly priced for this bike. Take the bike to a dealer and have them help you order the parts since there could be damage you aren't seeing and parts you will need outside of what you think you need.
Problem is that I am afraid of driving on the freeway to the dealership (8.3 miles), I am still learning. I don't have any relative or friend that can drive, but it is scheduled to be fixed in about a month for
the recall Yamaha did. I am planning to have the bike license by then with traffic school. One more thing is the cost of the repair, I only have the insurance that everyone must have here in Sweden. It only covers the damage you provoke to the other part, not your vehicle damages. I don't think there are other damages since I fell from a speed of approximately 10 mph. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why does insurance have anything to do with your repair? Paying the dealer for the parts is no different than paying some online retailer. You can physically go in person to the shop and order the parts. Have them help you pick out the parts, they will have a parts diagram that you can look at with the dealer. They don't have to install the parts, you can just pick them up and do it yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why does insurance have anything to do with your repair? Paying the dealer for the parts is no different than paying some online retailer. You can physically go in person to the shop and order the parts. Have them help you pick out the parts, they will have a parts diagram that you can look at with the dealer. They don't have to install the parts, you can just pick them up and do it yourself.
I didn't know that you could do it. But aren't the parts much more expensive, like 50% more at a dealership?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does your dealer offer pickup service? you might want to call and find out. If you're not confident in riding there, it might be worth to pay a little extra for them to come pick the bike up from you.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I wanted to learn as much as I could on my own (With Youtube and forums) before taking some lessons in traffic school in order to avoid unnecessary costs.

Unfortunately, while learning to start on an uphill, I somehow managed to overrev the bike and it got out of control.
I'm not picking on you so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm simply giving you the best advice I can.

Stop everything you are doing and go take some classes. I'm not sure what they offer in Sweden but here in the states, MSF classes are fairly inexpensive. What I learned in just a few afternoons would have equipped you with skills to hill start and this whole debacle would have been avoided.

You put off taking lessons to avoid unnecessary costs and now you need to put money into your brand new bike to repair it.

You're very luck that you haven't gotten hurt. Stop trying to learn on your brand new R3. Take a few classes and then get back on your bike and go from there.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Start learning how to read the part diagrams since it's a skill that translates well to any vehicle you wrench on in the future (car or bike), but it seems like this time around you should eat the increased parts cost of buying at a dealership and have them do the inspection as suggested above because you aren't experienced in wrenching so you probably aren't looking at all the places that could be damaged.

Find an alternate way to get it to the dealership (might require more money) if you don't feel comfortable on the freeways; do not under any circumstance ride beyond your comfort level to save money because you might end up forfeiting your life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does your dealer offer pickup service? you might want to call and find out. If you're not confident in riding there, it might be worth to pay a little extra for them to come pick the bike up from you.
I will take some classes before driving there. If I haven't learned enough I will pay for the service

I'm not picking on you so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm simply giving you the best advice I can.

Stop everything you are doing and go take some classes. I'm not sure what they offer in Sweden but here in the states, MSF classes are fairly inexpensive. What I learned in just a few afternoons would have equipped you with skills to hill start and this whole debacle would have been avoided.

You put off taking lessons to avoid unnecessary costs and now you need to put money into your brand new bike to repair it.

You're very luck that you haven't gotten hurt. Stop trying to learn on your brand new R3. Take a few classes and then get back on your bike and go from there.

Ride safe!
Yeah, it is a sad story. Initially, I just wanted to learn how to maneuver the bike before taking classes because they will rip me off in terms of money for things that are quite easy to learn but takes some time. Turning and handling the clutch etc. That happened to me when I was learning to drive a car. Classes here in Sweden cost 55$/40 min at the cheapest place. I didn't intend to drive in traffic or some other form of idiotic moves.

Start learning how to read the part diagrams since it's a skill that translates well to any vehicle you wrench on in the future (car or bike), but it seems like this time around you should eat the increased parts cost of buying at a dealership and have them do the inspection as suggested above because you aren't experienced in wrenching so you probably aren't looking at all the places that could be damaged.

Find an alternate way to get it to the dealership (might require more money) if you don't feel comfortable on the freeways; do not under any circumstance ride beyond your comfort level to save money because you might end up forfeiting your life.
Aren't the replacing of the fairing and flasher light things you could with some YT-tutorials and tools you can buy at the local hardware store? If I take it to the dealership, how much would the reparation cost in terms of work time? Do you have any resources on how to read the part diagrams, they are quite complicated?:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you post pics to the damage in this thread? I can't get to the pics in your link.

Upload the pics to a free sharing site like photbucket and then link to them here. That'll give us the best view of the pics.

Sorry my post count is not high enough to post a link, but just add the letter h in the beginning of the link I post now.

ttps://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4Y4GpqLr2XKODFhdXdCZnhweWs&usp=sha ring

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
It's hard to tell without an explanation to go with each pic but I don't see major damage.
To replace the light, you can just order this.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/sear...2015/YZFR3+-+YZFR3FB/FLASHER+LIGHT/parts.html

Everything else looks to be merely cosmetic. If that's the case, I wouldn't even bother replacing that stuff until you have a few thousand incident free miles under your belt.
Then, those parts are fairly inexpensive and pretty easy to replace on your own.
I don't see anything that you can't fix on your own from the pics provided.

Is the bike running okay?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's hard to tell without an explanation to go with each pic but I don't see major damage.
To replace the light, you can just order this.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/sear...2015/YZFR3+-+YZFR3FB/FLASHER+LIGHT/parts.html

Everything else looks to be merely cosmetic. If that's the case, I wouldn't even bother replacing that stuff until you have a few thousand incident free miles under your belt.
Then, those parts are fairly inexpensive and pretty easy to replace on your own.
I don't see anything that you can't fix on your own from the pics provided.

Is the bike running okay?
The bike is running fine, no problems at all. I can even use the bent clutch. I have now added descriptions to the pictures. My main worry is as you can see in the picture where I pull the clutch, it goes far below the handlebar. I don't know the name of the thing that holds the whole clutch lever. I think it is easy to turn back into it's original position, but I don't know how.

Regarding the front flasher, if I am correct, I should order
FRONT FLASHER LIGHT ASSY 2 which is the left one ? Or maybe I could use the opportunity and buy one that looks better.

Then which part of the cowling do I need to order if I want the front part ( the one that is cracked open at the front) replaced? Is it this one ?
BODY, FRONT UNDER 2 SUB ASSY | Use for Color Black Metallic X ( SMX / 0903 )
Black Metallic X is the correct color right? I don't care about the other scratches, I can live with that :)

If you don't understand the pictures, I could make a quick video decribing the matter.:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Aren't the replacing of the fairing and flasher light things you could with some YT-tutorials and tools you can buy at the local hardware store? If I take it to the dealership, how much would the reparation cost in terms of work time? Do you have any resources on how to read the part diagrams, they are quite complicated?:(
Taking off the fairings for the R3 to access the flasher light is a very involved process. There's a lot of hardware (screws, clips, etc.) to keep track of, and a lot of pieces fit together in a particular order. However, if you believe you are mechanically inclined enough to take on this feat, then by all means use the resources here and on the internet to do so. I don't know the labor rate for service at the dealership, but that clutch issue is hard to diagnose with the limited pictures and seems suspect enough to warrant going to a professional.

Regarding resources on how to read a part diagram, there is none. However, the fastest way to learn how to read a part diagram is to start taking parts apart on your bike. After touching many parts of the bike by removing (and re-installing) them, you will begin to understand the individually labeled parts in a part diagram. Even for me, the first time I saw the R3 part diagram for the side fairings, I was really confused, but after taking the fairings off, I understood the different parts.

The bike is running fine, no problems at all. I can even use the bent clutch. I have now added descriptions to the pictures. My main worry is as you can see in the picture where I pull the clutch, it goes far below the handlebar. I don't know the name of the thing that holds the whole clutch lever. I think it is easy to turn back into it's original position, but I don't know how.

Regarding the front flasher, if I am correct, I should order
FRONT FLASHER LIGHT ASSY 2 which is the left one ? Or maybe I could use the opportunity and buy one that looks better.

Then which part of the cowling do I need to order if I want the front part ( the one that is cracked open at the front) replaced? Is it this one ?
BODY, FRONT UNDER 2 SUB ASSY | Use for Color Black Metallic X ( SMX / 0903 )
Black Metallic X is the correct color right? I don't care about the other scratches, I can live with that :)

If you don't understand the pictures, I could make a quick video decribing the matter.:D
Since you are still new to riding, you shouldn't "use the opportunity and buy one that looks better"; chances are you're going to drop the bike again, it's going to get messed up, and you'll be even more sad that an upgraded part you selected and/or spent more money on broke.

FRONT FLASHER LIGHT ASSY 2 is the right one; FRONT FLASHER LIGHT ASSY 1 is the left one. Part diagram indicates forward direction with a 3d arrow. Same with the fairing; it's UNDER 1, not UNDER 2.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If I were to pick between paying money to learn to ride a bike versus paying in blood, sweat and broken parts due to accidents from in experience, I would pick money.

Aside from that, as mentioned parts are cheap for the R3.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If I were to pick between paying money to learn to ride a bike versus paying in blood, sweat and broken parts due to accidents from in experience, I would pick money.

Aside from that, as mentioned parts are cheap for the R3.
+1

You can always earn more money but some injuries can stay with you for life.

The knowledge that you gain from a decent training session will pay you back immeasurably (it may even save your life and you definitely can't put a monetary value on that).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Taking off the fairings for the R3 to access the flasher light is a very involved process. There's a lot of hardware (screws, clips, etc.) to keep track of, and a lot of pieces fit together in a particular order. However, if you believe you are mechanically inclined enough to take on this feat, then by all means use the resources here and on the internet to do so. I don't know the labor rate for service at the dealership, but that clutch issue is hard to diagnose with the limited pictures and seems suspect enough to warrant going to a professional.

Regarding resources on how to read a part diagram, there is none. However, the fastest way to learn how to read a part diagram is to start taking parts apart on your bike. After touching many parts of the bike by removing (and re-installing) them, you will begin to understand the individually labeled parts in a part diagram. Even for me, the first time I saw the R3 part diagram for the side fairings, I was really confused, but after taking the fairings off, I understood the different parts.

Since you are still new to riding, you shouldn't "use the opportunity and buy one that looks better"; chances are you're going to drop the bike again, it's going to get messed up, and you'll be even more sad that an upgraded part you selected and/or spent more money on broke.

FRONT FLASHER LIGHT ASSY 2 is the right one; FRONT FLASHER LIGHT ASSY 1 is the left one. Part diagram indicates forward direction with a 3d arrow. Same with the fairing; it's UNDER 1, not UNDER 2.

Removing the turnsignals is a easy task, 2 screws, 1 quarter turn push pin in the front lower surround, unplug signal wiring, remove turnsignal retainer and remove signal. 10 minutes tops. Not involved at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Removing the turnsignals is a easy task, 2 screws, 1 quarter turn push pin in the front lower surround, unplug signal wiring, remove turnsignal retainer and remove signal. 10 minutes tops. Not involved at all.
Oops, I keep forgetting about this method since I haven't had a chance to mess with my turn signals after finding this alternate method. However, OP seems to have in mind removing the main fairing to replace the damaged clips that lock into the headlight assembly, which is an involved process with no alternate methods as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just converted a black R3 to a race bike. I have most of this stuff in a box and will probably be posting it all on Ebay soon. Shoot me a PM and I will let you know when I get the auctions up. All stock fairings as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts