Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is all hypothetical, or course...

Let's just pretend someone was installing a new set of Norton Fab levers and while doing so, their wife came home, pulled into the garage, got out of the car and started b!txhing about something nobody cares much about.

Let's then pretend while this someone was pretending to listen to their wife go on and on and on and on, they continued installing the clutch lever, pulled it to get a feel and in doing so, broke of the neutral safety switch button because they were not paying attention to what they were doing.

I know... Crazy. It would never happen. But, let's just for now, pretend that someone could actually do such a thing.

Anyone know where that someone may be able to source a new clutch safety switch before going to the dealer's parts dept?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So, the clutch safety switch (the little button behind the clutch lever) is in fact part # 5BP-H2917-00-00
I order it through Partzilla for under $8- and paid about the same for shipping.

If anyone ever goes to swap out the clutch lever, be sure you have that little button behind the lever. Once broken, the bike will only start when put into neutral. A real pain if you stall in traffic... especially if on a hill.
If you do manage to break it, this is definitely the correct part #. I swapped mine out last night and the bike is back to perfect again.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
So, the clutch safety switch (the little button behind the clutch lever) is in fact part # 5BP-H2917-00-00
I order it through Partzilla for under $8- and paid about the same for shipping.

If anyone ever goes to swap out the clutch lever, be sure you have that little button behind the lever. Once broken, the bike will only start when put into neutral. A real pain if you stall in traffic... especially if on a hill.
If you do manage to break it, this is definitely the correct part #. I swapped mine out last night and the bike is back to perfect again.
If it's broken, won't the bike think the lever is pulled all the time?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the tendency of the neutral safety switch breaking would be at 0% as long as you lock the garage to keep the wifey out.? but then again you'll probably have a few broken bones once your done in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's broken, won't the bike think the lever is pulled all the time?
No, it's opposite from that. The switch is just a narrow piece of plastic that pushes in and out. It pushes in when the clutch is pulled and a spring release it back out when the clutch is released.
Pulling the lever engages the switch.

You can still ride the bike even if the switch is broken. You just have to start the bike in neutral since there is no other way to tell the bike that the clutch lever has been pulled in. The only problem with riding that way would be if you were to stall the bike, especially on a hill.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
It pushes in when the clutch is pulled and a spring release it back out when the clutch is released.
Look again my friend!! Switch spring pushes arm out when clutch is pulled, and the main clutch spring (through the cable) pushes the switch arm back in when clutch lever released. If you snapped the switch arm off, it would think the lever was pulled all the time!

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look again my friend!! Switch spring pushes arm out when clutch is pulled, and the main clutch spring (through the cable) pushes the switch arm back in when clutch lever released. If you snapped the switch arm off, it would think the lever was pulled all the time!
Yeah... you may be right in terms of switch orientation. It's been a while since I looked at it.
Either way.... the bike will absolutely NOT start in any gear except N once that arm is broken off. That was my experience anyway. I broke mine and could only start the bike when in neutral. 1st gear, clutch in or not.. nothing. That little arm told the bike of it was safe to start while in gear.

I stopped riding the bike until the new switch came in because if I stalled the bike, I needed to kick the bike into N before it could be started again. Freaked me out a bit because taking the right foot off the rear brake to use the left foot to find neutral, and then dance back to the right foot to hold the bike on the hill while starting off was tough... and even tougher when you have impatient cars behind you.
It didn't happen to me but the thought of it caused me to just park the bike for a few days until the part came in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts