Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,
Every here and there (not always) while I'm at a light in neutral and kick it into 1st gear, it doesn't engage and doesn't show "1" on the display. As soon as I let the clutch about 1-2cm from the handle it will engage into 1st. I never have this issue when I am going from 2nd to 1st (Only from neutral).
I called Yamaha and they said it is normal to experience this issue because when you are in neutral the gears may not be properly lined up, so when you let to clutch lever off 1-2cm the gears start meshing and it slips into 1st. I find this to be quite annoying, especially when in a hurry to get into 1st.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi again,
Every here and there (not always) while I'm at a light in neutral and kick it into 1st gear, it doesn't engage and doesn't show "1" on the display. As soon as I let the clutch about 1-2cm from the handle it will engage into 1st. I never have this issue when I am going from 2nd to 1st (Only from neutral).
I called Yamaha and they said it is normal to experience this issue because when you are in neutral the gears may not be properly lined up, so when you let to clutch lever off 1-2cm the gears start meshing and it slips into 1st. I find this to be quite annoying, especially when in a hurry to get into 1st.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Thanks!!
It's common to any motorcycle I've ever ridden. Motorcycle transmissions don't like to be shifted at a stop. So my best advice is to try to shift before the stop. Otherwise - you'll quickly get used to the clutch/shifter sequence/ritual you describe to get back into 1st at a stop.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I normally go from 2nd to 1st and skip N. But when sitting a a red for 2+ minutes I like to give my left hand a little rest. Thanks for clarifying that this is normal with most bikes. I didn't experience this on the bikes at the training course, therefore thought I'd just throw the question out there.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I normally go from 2nd to 1st and skip N. But when sitting a a red for 2+ minutes I like to give my left hand a little rest. Thanks for clarifying that this is normal with most bikes. I didn't experience this on the bikes at the training course, therefore thought I'd just throw the question out there.
Thanks again!
Out of curiosity - what bikes did you ride in the training course?

·
Registered
24 Posts
They were honda cbr 125's
It's funny you mentioned that. I've owned a 2009 CBR125R and a 2011 CBR125R, both over several years. The 2009 was the worst bike I've owned for not wanting to shift into 1st once in a higher gear after a quick stop. It would also sometimes pop out of 6th gear on the highway too, though pre-loading the shifter when changing into 6th effectively eliminated that issue. The 2011's transmission was a definite improvement. However, it was still among the most temperamental when trying to shift into 1st from a stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts