Yamaha R3 Forums banner

New 10w-40 synthetic

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  proneto911 
#1 ·
I know it’s basically new. Will it damage anything to use this than the regular non synthetic stuff? Any benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Are you asking if using synthetic oil in your bike will hurt anything vs non synthetic if its new? If that's what you're asking then no, there is no downside for your engine. Cost will be the only downside really. Upside should be that synthetic is more temperature stable, and has more consistent viscosity. That should mean better / longer engine life and possibly better fuel economy.

#4 ·
Manufacturers usually use some kind of "break in oil" which would be in the bike for the first 1000km. Parts such as piston rings usually need some time to bed in properly where a little bit of wear is a good thing and allows parts to conform to each other. After this, use whatever oil you want. The main difference between synthetics and mineral oils is how quickly they break down. A mineral oil will lose it's form quicker than a synthetic. If you change oil every 10000km as per manufacturer recommendation, you should definitely use a full synthetic. If you change every 5000km which is what a lot of people do, then a semi-synth would be good. Full synthetic won't hurt either. If you dump your oil every 1000km just because you find it fun, mineral oil would be fine.

#5 · (Edited)
yeah im well beyond that first 600mi/1000km currently at 5k/8046km miles right now. been riding the R3 for 3-4 years now. I do appreciate your input though. im currently under the Yamaha advantage program which covers it for 100,000mi/160,934km and I don't mind spending a little extra in case it does break down. I do all my own service as well. so not worried since I made the last online service manual.

I have had cars break down because of switching oils before so I was curious. most notably my Saturn SL series later found out that the piston never had return oil holes in the lower ring and by then I blew the rings.

But looks like im going to be getting the full synthetic see how it preforms next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.