Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 15 r3, Went to pickup and tech in shop said He was thinking I would be a 25 year old. I am twice that! Been riding for 35 years now. Wanted a light weight bike and something I did not have to wok on, Found lots of info here. Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congratulations. When I picked mine up, at least 4 people at the dealership asked "first bike?". Ummm...no, it's my 10th bike.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just got my 15 r3, Went to pickup and tech in shop said He was thinking I would be a 25 year old. I am twice that! Been riding for 35 years now. Wanted a light weight bike and something I did not have to wok on, Found lots of info here. Thanks
I bought the same bike in February and I'm closer to 50 than 40. The bike is a blast and you made a wise choice

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
When I picked mine up, at least 4 people at the dealership asked "first bike?".
Let's be honest, the R3 is a popular starter bike.
It is designed and marketed to new riders. It's meant to be a gateway-drug to the bigger bikes.
Oddly enough... lots of older experienced riders buy them, because they want a lightweight bike, and they appreciate the styling and features.

I love the way it looks, and I like the dash especially.
I was surprised at how stable the R3 is on the freeway.
My two biggest complaints about the R3 are:
1. Made in Indonesia. I wish it were made in Japan.
2. The transmission shifting is not great. ( I'm spoiled by Honda gearboxes! )

·
Registered
84 Posts
I switched to Motul full synthetic oil at 300 miles and it made a noticeable improvement in shifting. Much smoother engagement.

Reactions: CBRpilot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have about 100 miles so far but my tranny shifts great. The rear fender has to go and I have to fix the mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I only have about 100 miles so far but my tranny shifts great. The rear fender has to go and I have to fix the mirrors.
I picked mine up brand new and from the beginning, the shifting was butter smooth. Now that I'm approaching 500 miles, I'm finding that I sometimes miss a gear and shifting in general is not as smooth as it once was. Not saying it's bad... just not what is was when I first started riding.

I'm riding the bike a littler harder now and I'm thinking this may be why the shifting feel has changed. I'm not riding the bike hard but when I first started on the R3, it was after taking 20 years off from motorcycles, so I was very cautious to start with. I'm thinking that when riding it calmly, it's smooooth but when riding in a spirited manner, it requires a little more attention to make sure you hit all the gears correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts