Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first bike. 2016s on sale and I couldn't resist.

Never been on a motorcycle before, although I did ride a scooter in Asia for a couple months.

I've been training with a professional trainer and after 4 hours, I am ready for the street. Been driving everything on 4 wheels for 25 years and closed road racing for 5.

I bought this bike to learn on and save $$. It's also going to be my daily commuter.

After one day on the streets, I got the race bug back in me and am planning on learning for a year then set the bike up as a track bike. Love to get a FZ07 to replace it as my daily ride.

I hope my wife doesn't leave me. >:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome to the community and nice to see someone new to riding. The R3 is a hoot and you'll enjoy it for a while if you have some twisty roads to frequent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome I'm also in the lower mainland and planning on buying an R3 as soon as the weather gets better here. Mind if I ask where you got it from and what you paid out the door?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome I'm also in the lower mainland and planning on buying an R3 as soon as the weather gets better here. Mind if I ask where you got it from and what you paid out the door?
I paid $6,000 OTD at CheckPoint GA in Port Moody. They still have new 2016s and a couple 2015s. You could probably pick the '15 up for $500 cheaper than my '16.

Talk to Mac if you want professional ride coaching. Highly recommended.

They have a really good sized showroom also. Not a huge selection in the sport gear though. For that, I go to Modern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I paid $6,000 OTD at CheckPoint GA in Port Moody. They still have new 2016s and a couple 2015s. You could probably pick the '15 up for $500 cheaper than my '16.

Talk to Mac if you want professional ride coaching. Highly recommended.

They have a really good sized showroom also. Not a huge selection in the sport gear though. For that, I go to Modern.
I appreciate the reply. I was actually at checkpoint about a month ago checking them out but after being completely ignored while I was there I went to Holeshot and got them to match CheckPoint's price on a 16 so I think I'll be going with them.

I did only see one new 2015 when I was at CheckPoint and it was the white/red, I know they didn't make the Matte Grey R3's in 2015 and thats what I want, I figure it's worth spending the extra little bit for it.

Thanks for the info and enjoy your bike, maybe I'll see you riding around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the reply. I was actually at checkpoint about a month ago checking them out but after being completely ignored while I was there I went to Holeshot and got them to match CheckPoint's price on a 16 so I think I'll be going with them.

I did only see one new 2015 when I was at CheckPoint and it was the white/red, I know they didn't make the Matte Grey R3's in 2015 and thats what I want, I figure it's worth spending the extra little bit for it.

Thanks for the info and enjoy your bike, maybe I'll see you riding around.

Glad you found a place that made you feel welcome. Matte Grey is pretty nice, some days it looks flat grey, others it looks like it has a bronze tint to it. I will be painting all the lower faring and plastics satin black (similar to the new R6) and keep the top of the bike grey. I almost should have just bought the red 2015 and put the $500 savings towards the new paint lol.. oh well hope to see ya out there.

Shiny side up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here she is. Already have the Yoshimura Carbon r77 full exhaust, PCV, Dynojet AutoTune, K&N filters, TST integrated Tail kit + side markers, Halo bar end mirror, Metzeler Sportec M7 RR tires, and a couple other look-good things like a rear tire hugger, black reflective rim tape and rear pilon seat and pegs delete.. Just waiting on my Sato Racing rear sets and QuickShifter.

Most of this will go on after a break-in period, and luckily I can turn the wrenches myself. Have to outsource the dyno time though. I almost can't wait for winter to start on it. (almost)

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Already have the Yoshimura Carbon r77 full exhaust, PCV, Dynojet AutoTune, K&N filters, TST integrated Tail kit + side markers, Halo bar end mirror and fuel cap, Metzeler Sportec M7 RR tires, and a couple other look-good things like a rear tire hugger, black reflective rim tape and rear pilon seat and pegs delete.. Just waiting on my Sato Racing rear sets and QuickShifter.

Most of this will go on after a break-in period, and luckily I can turn the wrenches myself. Have to outsource the dyno time though. I almost can't wait for winter to start on it. (almost)

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
**** ya a termi!! I loved those cars nothing beats the scream of a whipple ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The terminators are awesome, probably my second favourite Mustang I've ever driven besides the Shelby GT350.

Also, nice bike, thats pretty much exactly what I'm looking for and planning similar mods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts