Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members, I purchased my R3 about 3 weeks ago and this is my first 2 cyl. engine since I owned a Kawasaki LTD 440 in the mid 80's. I have owned many 4 cyl. bikes and a 20108 Yamaha WR250R single cyl. I always install exhaust and a fuel programmer on every bike I own for the performance enrichment and a nicer sound. I usually wait until the warranty is up before upgrading, but this bike seems fairly weak and the exhaust and air box are choking it so I will go ahead and do the upgrades soon. Has anyone installed the Yoshi Stainless Full Exhaust with the Power Commander V Fuel & Ignition controller? And if so how do you like the performance?
Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Skip the power commander and go for a flash ecu or a custom ecu like aracer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for providing that article. After reading the article I can see how flashing the ECM gives you much more control over the fuel mapping options, but you either need to know much more about fuel mapping than I do, or rely on someone who does know more to create a map for you. And if it does not make the bike run the way you want it to run then you have to pay the person again to change it. I have had good luck using the Power Commander on 3 bikes and the EJK Fuel Tuner on 1 bike. The EJK unit allows you to change the fuel settings at different throttle positions on the fly which is nice, but they don't make a unit for the R3, and it does not control ignition timing like the Power Commander does.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for providing that article. After reading the article I can see how flashing the ECM gives you much more control over the fuel mapping options, but you either need to know much more about fuel mapping than I do, or rely on someone who does know more to create a map for you. And if it does not make the bike run the way you want it to run then you have to pay the person again to change it. I have had good luck using the Power Commander on 3 bikes and the EJK Fuel Tuner on 1 bike. The EJK unit allows you to change the fuel settings at different throttle positions on the fly which is nice, but they don't make a unit for the R3, and it does not control ignition timing like the Power Commander does.

I've had many successes with: www.2wheeldynoworks.com... They will NOT charge you to re-flash the ECU, if you you more mods at a later date- It's a one time charge/fee. I have ZERO regrets after ditching my PCV, and going with a flash. I've done it on my last three bikes, and it does EVERYTHING better after the flash-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had many successes with: www.2wheeldynoworks.com... They will NOT charge you to re-flash the ECU, if you you more mods at a later date- It's a one time charge/fee. I have ZERO regrets after ditching my PCV, and going with a flash. I've done it on my last three bikes, and it does EVERYTHING better after the flash-
I checked out the link you provided and see they are in Washington State, so taking my bike to them will not work for me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I checked out the link you provided and see they are in Washington State, so taking my bike to them will not work for me.
Most shops already done their test on combinations of mods already. You just gotta tell them your setup.

Here's a few more options:

TST Industries

Norton Motorsports

Both also offer their own developed velocity stacks if you want to do air box mod along with the tune that goes with it.

Unless you're gonna go to a shop to get your R3 tuned with the power commander, I don't see much performance gain from using it over a flashed ecu.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I realize that installing a Power Commander on your bike after installing an exhaust system and modifying the air box / filter requires you to either have the bike dyno tuned in order to get the best possible performance from the upgrades, or installing a file from a person with a similar setup. So it's not plug and play. With the EJK Tuner there are no files to install, you make the changes right from the tuner with + or - settings for 6 different throttle positions so you can tune it exactly to your intake / exhaust setup which works very well. So far they don't make a unit for the R3. But both options will allow you to get the most out of the engine, where sending the ECU to a person with a list of upgrades you have made that will make changes without a dyno and sending it back to you would for sure make me wonder if I am really getting all the performance possible with no way to verify it. I am hoping to hear from someone that has installed the Yoshi exhaust to hear how they like it. Thanks to all the members that have responded to my post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts