Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much here to make a decision on getting this bike. I have a 2016 KTM 390 Duke and I'm thinking of changing it, Always heard yamaha is the most reliable and I REALLY like how the R3 looks and sounds with aftermarket exhaust, even stock isn't too bad. A smoother twin engine is appealing as well, The duke is a great bike but the fueling kinda sucks at the low end honestly. Get on the throttle and it really goes, but in town traffic is rough and is getting annoying so I'm looking at this bike.
I go to check some out this weekend at a local dealership, unfortunately they don't let their sportsbikes out for test rides without credit checks and paperwork like your going to buy it...might do that anyways.
anybody want to trade?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Welcome.

Sounds like you have "buyer's regret", I highly doubt any sane R3 owner would down grade to a KTM, you're probably best selling it privately.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah there is someone in love with the idea of a KTM 390 out there with cash sitting in their account ready to buy

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You Really think the duke is a downgrade to the R3?

·
Registered
39 Posts
^^seriously, not sure what the reasoning was behind that post.

OP, why bother putting up more money for a lateral move?? I'd save up and get something like a 690 or xsr or fz depending on your taste.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm fine with the 300 size engine , KTM has been pretty difficult to get parts for, long waiting periods/backorder...if anything serious happens I might be out of transportation for who knows how long. This is NOT appealing to me since my bike is my only form of transportation.
went to the yamaha dealership yesterday and I definitely like how the r3 felt, I'm going to look at my options on getting out of the duke's loan, I could always let it be repossesed but I don't want the ding on my credit..not sure what my options are as far as this goes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i'm fine with the 300 size engine , KTM has been pretty difficult to get parts for, long waiting periods/backorder...if anything serious happens I might be out of transportation for who knows how long. This is NOT appealing to me since my bike is my only form of transportation.
went to the yamaha dealership yesterday and I definitely like how the r3 felt, I'm going to look at my options on getting out of the duke's loan, I could always let it be repossesed but I don't want the ding on my credit..not sure what my options are as far as this goes.
makes complete sense. good luck!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've scared myself corning too tight with the duke, and a old yamaha 500 dirtbike has thrown me right the f0xk off of it with what I thought was only half throttle!. I'm 5'6" 140 Lbs. so it doesn't take much to get up to 100, and hit the "25 MPH" zones at double that or more, enough to get my heart beating harder.
The R3 FELT SOO NICE to me,( (quite a bit better than the duke) my lady really liked it the same, we both frankly wish we had visited the Yamaha dealership before making a decision.The ergonomics fit us very very well, can't wait to actually try it on the roads!
I tried the KTM 1190 Adventure and that really kinda felt like TOO MUCH engine, maybe if I was 50-60 pounds heavier this would be completely different. I Just saw a TST advertisement where one of their racers with the R3 was competing VERY WELL against much larger bikes in the 500cc class, he was second and has held that place apparently! That is incredible and a huge selling point for myself.
The other bike I'm looking at is the WR250R, I really like the idea of being to go just about anywhere with my bike buuuut....90% of it's use will be on paved roads commuting to and from work so I'm leaning towards the R3.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You Really think the duke is a downgrade to the R3?
Not dissing the KTM Duke 390 as you're the one who's wanting to get rid and I've heard a lot of feedback from other former KTM Duke 390 owners who've stated extra costs and reliability issues. Don't take it personally, you did post on a Yamaha R3 forum ;)

Reactions: Omnislug

·
Registered
228 Posts
... and that's the point in why Yamaha is better than KTM, and why buying a KTM is a downgrade.

·
Registered
228 Posts
^^seriously, not sure what the reasoning was behind that post.

OP, why bother putting up more money for a lateral move?? I'd save up and get something like a 690 or xsr or fz depending on your taste.
Then why don't you go and buy a KTM Duke 390?

Reactions: Omnislug

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
definitely no offense taken...it's the TRUTH! it is a great looking bike with decent torque for it's size, I think I won't be getting any single cylinder motorcyycles anymore either, unless it's a dirtbike. I'm sure more mechanics know how to work on yamaha's as opposed to ktm's also.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the duke is not horrible, the fueling at lower speeds is pretty uneven and jerky, parts are slow to come, not everyone works on them...other than that it's ok, really nice looking. Apparently they fixed some of the issues with the 17 version...but the fact that ktm does nothing to fix the shitty/rough fueling of the previous models bothers me quite a bit when I see other manufacturers fixing issues like this for FREE. there are several who feel the uneven throttle is actually a dangerous situation, particularly for new riders. all it would take is for them to re-flash the ecu, but they won't even do that, you gotta buy a $3-400 AFTERMARKET part to fix how it came from the factory! thats horse sh17 to me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts