Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
Josh here from Fayetteville NC
I just picked up my R3 yesterday and have already ordered about half of its worth in parts! Thank you Jesse from R3racing

I have owned 50 plus bikes and after blowing the motor on my 2012 Tuono and not having a bike at a trackday event I was providing photography for I was afforded the opportunity to ride the Orgs owner's Race Ninja 300 and I was hooked!

Why did I choose a R3 over the ninja? well I dont have to tell everyone here why do I?

Anyways I am looking forward to getting it set up and riding the dog crap out of it!

There is just something about passing big bikes on the outside or inside on the lil ol 300!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome! Nice to see a fellow R3 rider in the area, we're out in Durham. If it's a dedicated track bike probably won't matter much but there's quite a few of us that go riding quite often on the weekends. Always down to join (plus we were just talking about exploring the area near Fayetteville!). We're also in Moto Amino and there's quite a few NC riders in the immediate area, check it out, there's an official NC chat where we get together and ride.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your fault, or did the sucker just let go? I heard the Aprilia V4 can chuck connecting rods pulling track duty. :|
Fault was probably due to an overly tight intake valve, I assume after recalling the hard start before going back on track. But a motor with 6k miles and mostly all street miles should not have valves so tight to cause it to float a valve ;( I was not near red line when it happened but it sucks! I put the new motor in all by myself and that is NOT a one man job!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! Nice to see a fellow R3 rider in the area, we're out in Durham. If it's a dedicated track bike probably won't matter much but there's quite a few of us that go riding quite often on the weekends. Always down to join (plus we were just talking about exploring the area near Fayetteville!). We're also in Moto Amino and there's quite a few NC riders in the immediate area, check it out, there's an official NC chat where we get together and ride.
Thanks omega!
Yea my R3 will mainly be pulling track duty, these things are not nearly as much fun on the street as on the track. if you havent brought yours to the track you are truly missing out. NCBIKE is only a hop skip and jump from you

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm definitely planning to hit the track at some point, just not with my only bike! Plus I want to shed some more pounds before going through the heat torture :p. Either way sounds like you have a few bikes, let me know if you want to ride, we're out riding almost every weekend.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Fault was probably due to an overly tight intake valve, I assume after recalling the hard start before going back on track. But a motor with 6k miles and mostly all street miles should not have valves so tight to cause it to float a valve ;( I was not near red line when it happened but it sucks! I put the new motor in all by myself and that is NOT a one man job!
So........... "what" exactly........ "happened"? :|

An "overly tight intake valve" $hit the entire engine?
You didn't hear a funny noise from the engine? No puffing, or ticking noise?
Strange.

And yes... at 6k..... nothing should have been wrong with that engine.
What does the owners manual say about "valve check intervals"? 12k?
Did Aprilia WARRANTY that engine for you? If not.... how much did that engine cost?

If you answer all my questions, I will be surprised. :laugh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So........... "what" exactly........ "happened"? :|

An "overly tight intake valve" $hit the entire engine?
You didn't hear a funny noise from the engine? No puffing, or ticking noise?
Strange.

And yes... at 6k..... nothing should have been wrong with that engine.
What does the owners manual say about "valve check intervals"? 12k?
Did Aprilia WARRANTY that engine for you? If not.... how much did that engine cost?

If you answer all my questions, I will be surprised. :laugh:
Overly tight valves dont tick really, too tight of a valve can and will float... one valve snapped off on that cylinder and the other intake bent
When it happened i was doing about 140 on the front straight at VIR, smoke from oil coming out the engine was coming out of my exhaust
No warranty
$3000

and a big sack of suck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts