Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I’m Scott, new member here.

I’m looking to get my first sport bike. Looking hard at the R3. Hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction.

Bit of my background, I’ve currently got a ‘18 YZ250X I picked up about 8 months ago. Been riding it about every other weekend. Nothing crazy, just getting back in the swing of things. Rebuilding a ‘98 Yamaha Banshee as well. Quarantine got me back into the sport, as I’m sure it did a lot of people.

Anyways, I’m interested in a sport bike now. I’m 37, rode dirt bikes and quads when I was a teenager, haven’t ridden much until more recently when I got the YZ250X. I had a YZ125, KX125 and a Yamaha Blaster as a kid, so I’m used to a clutch needless to say. Never have I ridden on the street though. I’m signed up for the BRC class at the end of June. Just finished the 3 hour MSF online course.

Since I’m a little older rider and new to sport bikes, would the R3 be a good place to start for me? I’m 6ft, 200 lbs., of course the guy at the local dealership said I was too big for an R3 and said I needed to look at a bigger bike. I don’t agree, but should I be looking at something else for a first bike? I’m not looking to do any track days, or anything crazy. Just enjoy riding and don’t want to die on something like an R6. Yes, I’ve read the “so you wanna get a sport bike” thing already. :ROFLMAO:

Appreciate the advice and help!

·
Registered
168 Posts
R6 has been discontinued. There is an R7 now instead. This is a relatively "slow" motorcycle compared to R6. Looks like you have plenty of experience so why wouldn't you consider an R7 instead of an R3? It's not a big jump from R3.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R6 has been discontinued. There is an R7 now instead. This is a relatively "slow" motorcycle compared to R6. Looks like you have plenty of experience so why wouldn't you consider an R7 instead of an R3? It's not a big jump from R3.
I don’t want to start out on too big of a bike at first, engine wise that is. Didn’t know if the R7 would be too aggressive honestly?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think the R3 would work for you,
I bought the MT-03 because I liked the upright riding position rather than crunched fwd on a sport bike. With limited street experience a slower bike is better than a faster bike, you can always trade up later. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There are plenty of tall riders who ride R3s. Don't go by what we think, take one for a decent ride preferably on some twisty roads and on the highway so make sure you find it comfortable. You can always add aftermarket rear sets, handle bars, seat, suspension, etc to cater to your height.

The R7 certainly is a good suggestion from @privilege15. It's a slightly larger bike, but it's not stupid fast so with your existing off-road experience you're not going to go kill yourself. The larger CC might also stop you from getting that urge to get something larger than the R3 which a lot of people get. It's ergonomics are also street focused.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you guys think about a used R3 first to get me used to the street? Since it looks like it will be a while before the R7 hits showroom floors. Just checked the R7 forum and they’re saying pre-orders are sold out. :oops:

·
Registered
72 Posts
What do you guys think about a used R3 first to get me used to the street? Since it looks like it will be a while before the R7 hits showroom floors. Just checked the R7 forum and they’re saying pre-orders are sold out. :oops:

I'm 5'8 and 215 and I feel fine on the R3. I actually like a smaller feeling bike. Get a used one and if it isn't for you you won't lose much if anything just reselling it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It sounds like you'll be fine with the power of an R3 (5'10, 175lbs), just do some suspension upgrades to match your weight (Ninja 650 shock and proper weighted front springs are an inexpensive start) and I feel you'll have a blast.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What do you guys think about a used R3 first to get me used to the street?
If I could turn back time I would have bought a second hand R3 with low KMs instead of buying new like I did.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hi Scott. Im 5'9" 185lbs and feel a bit cramped, but i know of an avid R3 pilot that is like 6'5" 300lbs, and he makes it work. IMO the R3 is just a great all around bike that i recommend to almost everyone.

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Your first street bike, what Dreadwil said, buy used. But I can understand 6' 200 lbs shopping for a bigger first bike. Perhaps a used Ninja 650, there's usually a few on Craigslist all the time.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
As an initial street bike, the R3 is a good choice in my view, and one of the reasons why is that a decent used one will cost half as much or less as a new R6/7. The ergonomics are comfortable, it's easy to operate, and not intimidating in any way. It's also a really good looking bike, but setting all the reasons to buy an R3 aside, one of the reasons for keeping an R3 is that they're just fun to ride.

On a (related) side note, I have a friend that bought a new Honda CBR1000 a couple of years ago, shortly after getting his MC endorsement. The bike sits in the garage and every time I ask him about it, he has excuses for not riding it. But, we all know that he bought too much bike. So, pay no attention to the "you'll grow into it" theory and get whatever bike you want. If you end up with an R3 and later decide to move to a larger displacement bike, you can keep the R3 because it didn't cost that much in the first place, or if you decide to sell, it won't be difficult to move to a new owner. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the advice guys! I appreciate it! The R3 still seems like a good candidate to me for a first bike. After I get my M endorsement, I’m going to go test ride some for sure. My class is at the end of June.

Does anyone know of a good dealer in DFW to work with, or a place to look besides Craigslist or Cycle Trader? The two local dealers I talked to were basically asking MSRP, or wouldn’t budge off their used prices at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I’m looking to get my first sport bike. Looking hard at the R3. Hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction.

Bit of my background, I’ve currently got a ‘18 YZ250X I picked up about 8 months ago. Been riding it about every other weekend. Nothing crazy, just getting back in the swing of things. Rebuilding a ‘98 Yamaha Banshee as well. Quarantine got me back into the sport, as I’m sure it did a lot of people.

Anyways, I’m interested in a sport bike now. I’m 37, rode dirt bikes and quads when I was a teenager, haven’t ridden much until more recently when I got the YZ250X. I had a YZ125, KX125 and a Yamaha Blaster as a kid, so I’m used to a clutch needless to say. Never have I ridden on the street though. I’m signed up for the BRC class at the end of June. Just finished the 3 hour MSF online course.

Since I’m a little older rider and new to sport bikes, would the R3 be a good place to start for me? I’m 6ft, 200 lbs., of course the guy at the local dealership said I was too big for an R3 and said I needed to look at a bigger bike. I don’t agree, but should I be looking at something else for a first bike? I’m not looking to do any track days, or anything crazy. Just enjoy riding and don’t want to die on something like an R6. Yes, I’ve read the “so you wanna get a sport bike” thing already. :ROFLMAO:

The R3 would be suitable to get you back to street riding. It's light weight, comfy & not too aggressive. Cheap to run too. It's a good all-rounder. Try to get a used one that's in good condition. Once you're used riding again, you can re-sell it & get the new R7. Have fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lots of good advice here.

I am the same size as you and am on my second R3 (first one I rode and sold a couple of years ago). Missed it and bought another one.

I have ridden bigger cruisers, faster crotch rockets, and dirt bikes. With the type of riding I do (lots of city but 100 mile highway stretches regularly, too) I find the R3 to be the most enjoyable. I rode a 250 Ninja a handful of years ago, and while fun, it was definitely a little more “wheezy” getting up to speed. The 300-400 cc segment is kind of the sweet spot for commuting and having enough power for me. Just quick enough but not so fast you will break the speed limit everywhere. I enjoy being able to shift through gears instead of hitting 60 in 1st like the faster bikes. About the only time I have thought about having a little more power is on freeway rides...but honestly, it’ll accelerate in 6th up to 80mph just fine. Anything above that I don’t care to go anymore. I’m around the same age as you and would rather stay alive at this point.

Ergonomics on this bike to me are great. I normally like to stop every 45-60 minutes anyways, and any longer rides than 3 hours in a day my back gets a little stiff. It is nothing like the super sport bikes.

I used to live in DFW (didn’t ride there, though)...it gets hot there in the summer!

You might check Facebook marketplace, too. That is where I bought my recent R3. I am a fan of buying used, especially bikes. It is too easy to drop them or scratch them up to bother buying new IMO. My ‘15 R3 I bought for $3,000 with under 2000 miles on it (back in ‘18). My current ‘17 R3 was basically lightly scratched from parking lot drops (nothing cracked) with 12500 miles on it and I picked it up a few months ago for $1750. If you shop around there are decent deals to be had.

Best of luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts