Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Threads and Posts seem to be getting repetitive lately, covering things that are already on the forum in great detail. Makes it harder to find the info when it's scattered around numerous threads, in a variety of forum categories.

Anyway, This past post was primarily meant for new members/those new to Forums, but if you haven't read it, you might find it has some useful info in it. Or not! If that's the case, simply ignore it.

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/425-...important-notice-all-members-please-read.html

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ok, Mr non-moderator.

The problem with your theory is this. Sometimes someone needs to ask a question and when they search it doesn't come up. They might misspell the search criteria, they might not know how to word the question, etc. It might be your friend, but it's not perfect.

I'd rather have 2 members ask the same question twice than have 50 new threads about the size of my member posted from someone out of Bangcock in a 2 minute period and how to meet a nice lady in Shanghai.

And no, I spelled it that way on purpose.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, Mr non-moderator.

The problem with your theory is this. Sometimes someone needs to ask a question and when they search it doesn't come up. They might misspell the search criteria, they might not know how to word the question, etc. It might be your friend, but it's not perfect.
If you had read the post, you'd have seen that all that is covered in it.

Chaos Theory dictates that if no steps are taken to prevent it, the Forum will eventually devolve into a state where there could be 20 different threads all asking "What oil should I use?". I've seen exactly that on other forums in the past.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you had read the post, you'd have seen that all that is covered in it.

Chaos Theory dictates that if no steps are taken to prevent it, the Forum will eventually devolve into a state where there could be 20 different threads all asking "What oil should I use?". I've seen exactly that on other forums in the past.
Well, the forum is kind of slow sometimes. Maybe that's exactly what it needs.....a good old fashioned debate on oil. BTW, I just bought some Valvoline 10W-40 motorcycle oil at Walmart for $3.58 qt. Probably comes out of the same vat as Yamalube.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 3 quarts of Yamalube and an oil filter just sitting in my garage shelf just waiting for the next oil change, but I don't have a crush washer. Can someone look up a good place to order one online for me?

:)

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good. And its the moderators job, not yours, to merge those threads accordingly. You don't have title of moderator, so stop trying to play one on TV.
FYI, I volunteered to write that, as a result of a communication from a moderator, so that people wouldn't just bash the Admins and Moderators. Most people appreciated it, including a Moderator.

I re-post it periodically when I notice a lot of new members showing up. Many of them are new to motorcycling and some may be new to Forums.

Keeping the forum structure in good order makes it more user-friendly and that benefits every member.
An airplane mechanic like yourself should certainly appreciate good order.....;)

I don't have, and don't want, post-moving and thread-merging privileges. That's Stirz's domain, and he does a great job of it. But Stirz has better things to do than having to read every post, looking for things that need moving or merging.

In the end, it's the forum community in total that will make or break this one. I'm not going to apologize for doing whatever I can to make it better and more useable.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 3 quarts of Yamalube and an oil filter just sitting in my garage shelf just waiting for the next oil change, but I don't have a crush washer. Can someone look up a good place to order one online for me?

I hear the Japanese-made ones on Webike are superior. $2.50 for the washer, $14.50 for the shipping. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, the forum is kind of slow sometimes. Maybe that's exactly what it needs.....a good old fashioned debate on oil. BTW, I just bought some Valvoline 10W-40 motorcycle oil at Walmart for $3.58 qt. Probably comes out of the same vat as Yamalube.
Well, how about a discussion about a topic that hasn't already been beaten to death, like whether to put Plain Old Air or Nitrogen in your tires.

You start....;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like trains... (train pass by)

·
Registered
58 Posts

I used a Infinity G37 crush washer. Exactly the same size, diameter as the Yamaha one. Cost..... .30cents. I got 3 for a dollar :)
Just go to a Infinity Dealership and get one and compare.

Yamaha one- silver on top
Infinity one -copper on bottom

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
What gets me is the washer for my S1000RR is $1 (and that's as charged by the dealer). But the R3's is what.. 3 smackers? Redonkulous.

·
Registered
321 Posts
FYI, I volunteered to write that, as a result of a communication from a moderator, so that people wouldn't just bash the Admins and Moderators.
If you have a problem with a thread, reporting it to a moderator is your job as a forum member. The fact that you haven't been made moderator tells me that don't want/need you to do that job. If you see a dupe thread, report it and a moderator will address it.

If a moderator had wanted it to be said, he would have said it. I don't buy the "written from communication from a moderator" line of crap. Stirz can make a sticky if he wants.

You just admitted you hate when people make the same thread over and over, but then you admit that you do the same "periodically" when you see new members. Did you really just complain about people doing EXACTLY what you admit to doing IN THE SAME THREAD YOU ADMIT TO DOING IT IN?

I re-post it periodically when I notice a lot of new members showing up
Sounds like you're part of the problem, not the solution. Take your own advice I say.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts