Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.. Happy Easter! Many of you may have been following my thread in the new rider section. Huge thanks to all of those guys who posted feedback and answered all my questions. I finished the BRC last week, got my endorsement and picked her up last night.. as well as Shoei RF-1200 Flagger Blue\Black, Joe Rocket jacket and gloves. I want back and forth for weeks on the 2016 and 2017. After seeing it in person I am so glad I waited... All the new blue looks so good. This is my first bike and I stoked to ride!

Following accessories on order:

Yamaha R3 Cover
Yamaha Frame Sliders
Bike Stand
TST LED INTEGRATED TAIL LIGHT +RELAY
TST ELITE-1 FENDER ELIMINATOR AND UNDERTAIL KIT
TST HALO-GTR FRONT LED FLUSHMOUNT SIGNALS

Thinking a slip on and tank pads later as well!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You are somewhat of a big fella, aren't ya.
You will be bored with the power of the R3 within a month.

I would have tried to steer you towards the new 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650.
I know it costs a bit more, but I think the extra engine power would be better
for you in the long run.

But that's okay, at least you are riding. Have fun and be safe.
The R3 may be your first bike... but it most likely won't be your last.
:D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am 6' 265lb. So I suspect the R3 will only be a one season bike. Which is fine by me for now. I want something easy to learn on and the resale should be good!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Honestly being 5'8 @ 230 I haven't really gotten bored yet. Sometimes I wish I had more umph, but this thing has taught me how to ride well. That was clearly evident when I was passing 600's in the turns recently on a long day trip :) . New tires are a must after about 6 months -- completely transforms the bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Coming from someone who is 6'4 210 lbs, the r3 was great for me for about a year. Then I started riding bigger bikes and that exposure to power really ruined the bike for me. I would've tried to get you to look at the fz6r Yamaha. But if you don't care about losing money then go for it. I lost money and I had a lower resale value because I put over 10k miles on it within a year. But I had some of the best times on that bike and don't regret all the lessons I learned on it. It sounds like your putting some good money into the bike on aftermarket parts, just be ready to lose value. This is defiantly not an investment with an upside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
It also depends on your goals... I have some pretty twisty roads here in NC and I love how nimble the bike is. I have ridden some supersports and the power is great, I'm looking to get one in the next year or so but I don't think I'll get rid of the R3. This thing is a blast to commute on, comfortable and amazing on really tight roads. The only gripe I have is the cardboard seat ><

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am no stranger to awful resale values as I own ATVs and a UTV.. haha

I did consider several 600cc bikes including the FZ-07. I just did not want to get in over my head right out the gate. And I was trying to keep costs under $7500 with gear, accessories, etc. Plus I am not a thrill seeker really so the additional power isn't as appealing.

I feel the R3 will be a great starter bike and I'll get some good experience on it even if just a year. Granted I could have saved $1500 and bought a used one. To be honest, I see myself eventually transitioning to a more upright naked bike. Especially if I am using it for my commute which is 35 miles one way and all highway.

With that said.. the new R6 sure is a beauty! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
How did you get from upright naked to R6, lol. Maybe Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha FZ-07, or Suzuki SV650. Though using the R3 for a couple years (for experience) is not a bad idea. It's not really that slow (105 mph in 5th is easy), it's just that we have an ocean of insanely overpowered affordable options here. Any of the 65 whp machines are "overkill" for flowing with typical traffic, even the sedate heavy FZ6R would cause freeway cars to turn into pylons at a flick of the wrist.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL.. I am bi-polar when it comes to bike choices :)

I love the sport bike styling but the comfort of upright naked is appealing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ninja 650 is exactly that and super sexy :)
@xorbe; is right, this bike is NOT slow by any means especially if you compare it to bikes of similar category from years ago. I regularly notice I'm doing double the speed limit on my favorite twisty roads -- be careful out there...

Also to mention the other thing xorbe mentioned - I feel this bike has really made me a better rider after riding with some other guys who started on 600's...

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I get asked all the time 'are you going to upgrade'? I'm only 5'6" and about 155 lbs so for me, this bike is absolutely perfect. More than enough power and nice and light. I love everything about it. I don't ride much or for very long so its literally just to hack around on when I feel like it. Although the new R6 is gorgeous, sitting on it made me change my mind pretty quickly. If I was going to a 600, I would go to a CBR600 most likely. It just fit me better.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You can buy a more powerful bike, but will be hard pressed to find a more well engineered, reliable, and balanced bike than the Yamaha. Crank it up to 8k - 11k revs and and it will fly.

On the other hand, if you want to hang out at the Starbucks and impress the barista. buy a Euro bike and speak with an accent. What a bunch of clowns, (Hey but whatever works for you)

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Bad news, your motoring hobbies don't look to be getting any cheaper in the future! >:D Better clear out the garage and the shed!

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/classics/bonneville/2017/bonneville-t120
I just went yesterday and looked at everything in Triumph's classic lineup. If I could, I'd take one of each. LOL.
Would have started a deal on the Thruxton R but they only offered me 3k for my bike. I pay it off next month and will sell it outright instead. It's not worth a small fortune but it's sure as heck worth more than 3k.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Would have started a deal on the Thruxton R but they only offered me 3k for my bike. I pay it off next month and will sell it outright instead. It's not worth a small fortune but it's sure as heck worth more than 3k.
Everything is negotiable. It's a game.
The dealer will always low-ball you on your trade. They make it quick and easy to get into the new bike you want,
but they always massage the numbers in their favor. They get you on the front-end, and they get you on the back-end.
Knowing this, you can try to negotiate other aspects of the deal, to make up for the difference they don't want to pay
you for your trade-in. It's a hassle to sell your old bike yourself. It can take time. Dealers know this.
You must negotiate back-and-forth to try and close the gap. When you have haggled all you can, and the gap is still
too large, you walk away from the deal.
If the gap closes to a point where it's not really worth your time or effort to try and squeeze anymore out of the deal,
you pull the trigger and sign the paperwork.
You take your new bike home, and you don't look back. :nerd:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yeah I am 6' 265lb. So I suspect the R3 will only be a one season bike. Which is fine by me for now. I want something easy to learn on and the resale should be good!
Anyone that gets "bored" of the power of the R3 is probably looking for something "fun" as in tons of power for the street. I highly, highly suggest going to a track day. If you are fortunate enough to have friends that ride, ask to borrow their bigger bike. I am willing to bet on the street that you will want to get a bigger bike after borrowing a friends. I'm also willing to bet that doing the same on a racetrack, you will more than likely choose the R3 over a bigger bike. I honestly can't get enough of a smaller bike on the track. For me, even in the relatively fast streets of San Diego, the R3 had enough power. It wasn't like my Zx6r, but after a few track days, I was over that "rush/thrill/fun factor" of a big bike. I feel as a sport bike rider, cornering is where I get the most thrills from, and nothing quite beats out cornering bigger bikes through corners on a track. Now mind you I am a relatively beginner rider with only 3 years of riding and two track days. Those 3 years were year round in San Diego (~9-12k miles per year) mostly on the interstate but also includes weekend canyon rides, so I wouldn't say I am super experienced or anything. But yeah a smaller bike has definitely made me a better rider than what a bigger bike has done. It forces you to truly learn because you can't just make up lack of skill with raw power. It's lighter on you on mistakes than a 600 or liter bike.

Think of the race track as a much more fun version of the BRC/ERC/SRC. And at a pace more closely related to street speeds.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I am no stranger to awful resale values as I own ATVs and a UTV.. haha

I did consider several 600cc bikes including the FZ-07. I just did not want to get in over my head right out the gate. And I was trying to keep costs under $7500 with gear, accessories, etc. Plus I am not a thrill seeker really so the additional power isn't as appealing.

I feel the R3 will be a great starter bike and I'll get some good experience on it even if just a year. Granted I could have saved $1500 and bought a used one. To be honest, I see myself eventually transitioning to a more upright naked bike. Especially if I am using it for my commute which is 35 miles one way and all highway.

With that said.. the new R6 sure is a beauty! :)
Did someone say upright and naked? New Tuono. Just sayin.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Everything is negotiable. It's a game.
The dealer will always low-ball you on your trade. They make it quick and easy to get into the new bike you want,
but they always massage the numbers in their favor. They get you on the front-end, and they get you on the back-end.
Knowing this, you can try to negotiate other aspects of the deal, to make up for the difference they don't want to pay
you for your trade-in. It's a hassle to sell your old bike yourself. It can take time. Dealers know this.
You must negotiate back-and-forth to try and close the gap. When you have haggled all you can, and the gap is still
too large, you walk away from the deal.
If the gap closes to a point where it's not really worth your time or effort to try and squeeze anymore out of the deal,
you pull the trigger and sign the paperwork.
You take your new bike home, and you don't look back. :nerd:

They were asking $500 more for the bike than MSRP, added in a $200 document fee and then the dreaded $700 delivery fee. The delivery I can't get around much but the other fees and pricing, along with the sh!t offer on my bike... I walked.
I live my R3 so I'm in no hurry to wait on the perfect deal. Heck, I haven't even decided what I want yet. Really liked the Bobber the other day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
New Tuono. Just sayin.
That sucker is expensive. I hear Piaggio customer support is pretty weak.
I love the sound of that engine, but I doubt I would ever pull the trigger and take one home.
It's just not a good value.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts