Yamaha R3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I thought your mind was made-up on the Thruxton R ? :|

I'll ride the Thruxton like I stole it. The Bobber was so freaking comfortable and I know I'd be a little more behaved in that.
No decision made yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
That sucker is expensive. I hear Piaggio customer support is pretty weak.
I love the sound of that engine, but I doubt I would ever pull the trigger and take one home.
It's just not a good value.
Me neither lol. The reviews are pretty good but honestly you probably won't ever see me on a 1000+cc sports bike. Would be cool to have but I wouldn't go out and buy one. Maybe in 20 years I'll be one of those fast old guys at the track. Then I can move onto a liter bike. Or the Tuono.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Me neither lol. The reviews are pretty good but honestly you probably won't ever see me on a 1000+cc sports bike. Would be cool to have but I wouldn't go out and buy one. Maybe in 20 years I'll be one of those fast old guys at the track. Then I can move onto a liter bike. Or the Tuono.
You always talk about "track". Track track track.
Some of us don't get to play on the track. I'm sure what you say about the "track" is all true.
But it honestly won't ever apply to ME.

And I can tell YOU something: a literbike is the way to go for the STREET.
I've ridden alot of bikes. On the street. It's nice to have a big torquey engine.
It almost makes it easier to ride on the streets.
If all you did was cruise around on the streets, and roll-race ricer cars, I would say get yourself a 1000cc+ bike.

Out of all the bikes I have ridden, I keep coming back to my Fireblade. I think it's the best.
I have not found another bike anywhere that makes me want to sell my Fireblade to buy it. Not ONE.
Quite the opposite actually. Every bike I ride, makes me appreciate my Fireblade more and more.
I just feel comfortable on it. Like I belong on it. It saved my a$$ a few times too, so I feel like it knows me. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'll ride the Thruxton like I stole it. The Bobber was so freaking comfortable and I know I'd be a little more behaved in that.
No decision made yet though.
Triumph dealers usually let you test-ride.
Don't forget to ride the new Street Triple RS. Ride the Bobber too. And the Thruxton R.
One bike will really stand-out for you. It will call to you. That will be the one.

Don't let the dealer salesman know it, though! They hear wedding bells, they get dollar-signs in
their grubby little eyes. They are like sharks that smell blood in the water.

So play it cool, and keep your poker-face on at all times. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
He wants the limited edition Street-Speed Thruxton-Bobber T120 Triple-Twin Rocket Daytona-Scrambler! >:D
This.
I left the Triumph dealership wanting no less than 5 bikes. LOL
I have zero interest in their cruisers or sport bikes but everything in their classic lineup, from the Street Twin, Cup and Scrambler all the way up through the T100 & 120's to the Thruxton R, I just loved.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Triumph dealers usually let you test-ride.
Yes and no. If they have a demo in house, they will let you ride it but the 3 dealers within 200 miles of me are not large enough to have a demo of each bike to ride. If you schedule a demo in advance, they will get a bike in for you to try but they will not have 5 different models to try out on the same day. Maybe the mega-huge dealers can do this but I don't have one of those near me.

Best option for me is to wait it out for a local demo day to come up. I'm watching for them and I'm in no huge hurry.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You always talk about "track". Track track track.
Some of us don't get to play on the track. I'm sure what you say about the "track" is all true.
But it honestly won't ever apply to ME.

And I can tell YOU something: a literbike is the way to go for the STREET.
I've ridden alot of bikes. On the street. It's nice to have a big torquey engine.
It almost makes it easier to ride on the streets.
If all you did was cruise around on the streets, and roll-race ricer cars, I would say get yourself a 1000cc+ bike.

Out of all the bikes I have ridden, I keep coming back to my Fireblade. I think it's the best.
I have not found another bike anywhere that makes me want to sell my Fireblade to buy it. Not ONE.
Quite the opposite actually. Every bike I ride, makes me appreciate my Fireblade more and more.
I just feel comfortable on it. Like I belong on it. It saved my a$$ a few times too, so I feel like it knows me. :laugh:
Didn't you go all the way to San Diego to buy your bike? The way I see it, if you can go that far to buy a bike, maybe heading out to a track day isn't impossible? Have you ever gave it a try at all? Maybe it will change your mind. Plan for a weekend or something.

As far as a torquey motor for street, sure I can agree to that, but then you get to the point where it gets excessive. True, it makes it easier to ride. But then riding on the street is easy enough for me. So that's why I don't need or want a liter bike.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yes and no. If they have a demo in house, they will let you ride it but the 3 dealers within 200 miles of me are not large enough to have a demo of each bike to ride. If you schedule a demo in advance, they will get a bike in for you to try but they will not have 5 different models to try out on the same day.
Oh, bummer.
I guess I am spoiled. I can go here, if I want to test-ride something:

http://www.goaz.com/

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Well I finally got the bike out.. My only experience thus far was the bike as MSF course. I left the house with 2 miles came back 90 mins later with 54. Score! LOVE this bike. I cannot believe it turns heads. So awesome. It is blast and I am very comfortable on it even as a big guy. I did plenty of city driving and even a few highway runs up to 75mph. Even some u-turns.. haha. I had plan on adjusting the preload but I don't really see a need. Now to get those TST accessories installed.

I really do not see myself growing out of it anytime soon. Not this year for sure!

I did have a panic moment though.. I did not down shift and came to a stop (with clutch in) in 5th and I could not get it back to 1st for the life of me.. I had to walk it to the side of the road and then it shifted to 1st. Any idea what happened here?

Also finding N tricky. It has been easier to just stay in 1st at a light. I assume it will come more natural in time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did have a panic moment though.. I did not down shift and came to a stop (with clutch in) in 5th and I could not get it back to 1st for the life of me.. I had to walk it to the side of the road and then it shifted to 1st. Any idea what happened here?

Also finding N tricky. It has been easier to just stay in 1st at a light. I assume it will come more natural in time.
let the clutch out a little in 5th or whatever gear you're stuck in till you feel it a little pull it back in and then down shift. or rock the bike back and forward while clicking down. all bikes do this occasionally if you come to a stop while still in a high gear

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Well I finally got the bike out.. My only experience thus far was the bike as MSF course.
This whole story reeks of "noobness".
But I enjoyed reading it, none the less. We all have to start somewhere. Sometime.
Your journey has just begun. Ride at your own pace, and wear your gear. Stay safe.
Have fun.
:nerd:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
noobness indeed.. thanks for the tips.. I think I just do my best not being in high gear before stop :p

My girlfriend is eager to hop on the back.. I have reiterated that will not be anytime soon!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
noobness indeed.. thanks for the tips.. I think I just do my best not being in high gear before stop
Practice being in the right gear all the time.
This means, as you slow down for a stop, downshift and let the engine-braking help slow you down.
When I come to a stop, I am usually in 1st gear before I come to a complete stop. I am ready to go again
when the light turns green.
I NEVER leave it in 5th gear and just pull-in the clutch and come to a stop. I never do that.
I am always rowing through the gears... up and down.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Awesome.. I am brainwashed into thinking that downshifting and using the clutch to stop harms the clutch. I suppose the same rules do not apply to bikes like cars as far as that goes. Was always taught to never ride the clutch!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Practice being in the right gear all the time.
This means, as you slow down for a stop, downshift and let the engine-braking help slow you down.
When I come to a stop, I am usually in 1st gear before I come to a complete stop. I am ready to go again
when the light turns green.
I NEVER leave it in 5th gear and just pull-in the clutch and come to a stop. I never do that.
I am always rowing through the gears... up and down.
This x10 -- downshift downshift downshift (rev match when you do it). Only thing i do differently is never downshift to 1st (I don't think CBR meant he downshifts to 1st and lets to clutch out. Probably does what I do). I downshift to 2nd, then clutch in from 2nd-stop while downshifting to 1st coming to a stop (keeping clutch in).

21 - 40 of 64 Posts