Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I just got into riding bikes, I am perhaps a little older than alot of you, 30 years of age living in London.

My riding experience is very limited, I have done a total of 30-40 hours of riding on a CBR600, do keep in mind these hours are spent with my motorcycle school.

However I have a car driving experience of 12-13 years anyways.

Also please note that the licensing examination in the UK is second to the japanese in terms of difficulty. We have to do 4 different exams here in the UK, and each exam leads to the next one, one theoretical and three practicals (CBT/mod1/mod2). I do repeat it is not an easy exam, you can lose your life or die, imagine you have no riding experience and you do a hazard avoidance maneuver (search it on youtube) at speeds 60+ while examiner holds a speed gun. Anyways I am officially awarded the licenses which demonstrates I have confidence and up to the riding standards expected of me. So before you jump on me and say (WELL, it depends on your riding skills).

I commute using my new beloved Metallica R3, its a new line of color, consider it exotic, grey/black (I dont know if its available in the US). They came with a Michelin street pilor or whatever they are called.

I need good tires, the weather here is crazy, it rains almost every day, we see all kind of rain here. Also no such thing as riding safely in the rain, during my exam the examiner behind me (on their bmw bike) had to see I can ride up to 70 mph on a dual carriage way, overtaking cars is a MUST, and I had to do that on two separate highways in blinding rain on an exam bike.

However my R3 have not been out yet, its still pending registration (1st march it goes on road), and I keep hearing the tires are garbage, and everyone keeps saying different sizes.

My Question here. Do you think I should throw stock tires out immediately? I have no experience with sizes, I dont even know what the **** 150/70 means, mind you I am doing my Phd in the sciences but cant be bothered to dig into sizes I need to focus on riding first.

Give me a name/brand of tire and its size you would advice me to install
1- Given rainy and wet conditions of London
2- Our roads are narrow, seriously narrow
3- Roads are painted everywhere, I donot want to lose my life slipping because of these stock tires.
4- I am not a racer, I donot want to race.
5- I want these tires to last me at least 3000-5000 miles?
6- excellent grip at high speeds, in dry or wet.
7- wonderful at low speeds

am I asking for too much?:(

·
Registered
545 Posts
The numbers relate to the width of the tire/height of the tire/rim size (17")

The name of the color on your model is Matte Grey, it replaces Raven and is in all markets.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hard to beat the performance of Michelin pilot road 4's in the wet. Unfortunately not available in the stock sizes for the R3 but given that you "aren't a racer" I think it'ld be fine.
Closest sizes would be:
Front 120/60/17
Rear 150/70/17

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome from 50m North.I've no concerns with the stock tyres they seem fine to me.If you'r riding in London you aint gonna be getting your knee down much,you'll be too busy staying alive for antics like that haha.There's quite a few older than you on here,i'm 37years older than you so that makes you a youngster in my book hehe.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Since Tal lives in your country and says the stock tires are good enough for him, I would take his word.

I would have recommended something like an S20 because I have different purposes for my bike (commute/canyon/track) and cant afford a second set of rims/tires.

I have gotten my knee down on stock tires going 25-30 mph, so I dont doubt their traction. I just wouldnt take them to the track (and some people have).

Heres how to read tire sizes, its pretty easy:

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motorcycle-tires-101-guide

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just put a set of S20 EVO on. 100%+ improvement over stock, and that's riding at 50 degrees F . (Had a warm spell here). Can't wait to try when it warms up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks alot for these wonderful replies. You guys rock.

I guess I'll take Tal's word for this, he knows this place well, I'll stick to stock for now, but ill hit the "Bridgestone S20 EVO" stock sized tires once its time for replacement.

All the other forums on the internet talk about these pirelli rosso diablo (sp?) or whatever they are called, are they really that worth it? I mean if Bridgestone S20 EVO is the best all weather tire ever created, im sure its better than these so called diablos no? keeping in mind the 7 points i mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found one review on the Bridgestone S20.

"A tire on a dry holds great just grabs you unwind grip and cornering. In the rain you have to be careful not to charge several times I had a little slippage of the tire. The tire after driving less than 5 ffm further looks great and keeps you on the road. Certainly pile it again because it is worth the money.

read more: http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-d...=prodlisting&gclid=CJik6r3dmMsCFQQXwwod4SEJQQ
The content above is the exclusive property of Oponeo.pl S.A."

guys I guess the evos are not that good for the rainy days it seems :(

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I don't know if there is a "best tire ever". Just like you will never find the best bike ever. You win some positive traits in some areas, you lose somewhere else. I've never had a problem with my S20s in the rain, and wet roads in California are supposedly bad because of the oil the rains bring up.

Some may like the s20s, some may prefer the Pirellis. Maybe a difference in profile, in mileage, whatever. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Oh and regarding your third point above, you can slip a tire regardless of what rubber you use.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The stock michelin Pilot Streets arent horrible tyres, but you have to remember they are stock tyres on a bike built to keep costs somewhat down. I do a lot of commuting and in the rain it does fine, so long as you ride to the conditions. Before you go off and buy new tyres, put a fair bit of riding time in all weather conditions on the Pilot Streets you already have to see if the tyres suit your riding skills.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The stock tires are not bad. They just don't heat up fast. But they do maintain grip. Here's a short video of me on a canyon at 60F. Didn't slip once. Of course on wet roads, I wouldn't even ride like this without a rain tire. If you're a beginner rider who is just enjoying the bikelife, then I think the stock tires are fine. If you're captain elbow dragger in the canyons, then softer and stickier tires would be best. I fall inbetween in the "just enjoying canyon bikelife" category.

https://www.facebook.com/uk1n1na177/videos/10153828126291998/

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I don't like the stock tires. I don't have confidence in their cornering grip. But I will keep them on the bike and get some use out of them. I just have to back-off in the corners a bit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The stock tires are not bad. They just don't heat up fast. But they do maintain grip. Here's a short video of me on a canyon at 60F. Didn't slip once. Of course on wet roads, I wouldn't even ride like this without a rain tire. If you're a beginner rider who is just enjoying the bikelife, then I think the stock tires are fine. If you're captain elbow dragger in the canyons, then softer and stickier tires would be best. I fall inbetween in the "just enjoying canyon bikelife" category.

https://www.facebook.com/uk1n1na177/videos/10153828126291998/
Sweet vid, man! You ever ride San Gabriel/Azusa or ACH?

I agree about the stock tires. I don't think they're horrible, but I've been taking it easy in corners (due to my lack of skills in conjunction with the marginal tires). I can see them becoming a problem with steep lean angles. I'm going to get some life out of them before I change the tires to something super sticky, like the RS10.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sweet vid, man! You ever ride San Gabriel/Azusa or ACH?

I agree about the stock tires. I don't think they're horrible, but I've been taking it easy in corners (due to my lack of skills in conjunction with the marginal tires). I can see them becoming a problem with steep lean angles. I'm going to get some life out of them before I change the tires to something super sticky, like the RS10.
Thanks dude. I'll switch to Rosso 2 at 1000 miles. They're almost $50/set cheaper than S20 right now on Revzilla and I like those tires. I haven't rode GMR in a while. My gf lives in Pomona and we used to ride it often but it's tough with her work schedule now. We don't ride GMR on weekends bc of the wannabe MotoGP riders. Same reason why we avoid the Snake. But we do ride East Malibu often like Tuna Canyon, Piuma Road and Saddle Peak.

And I hate ACH. It's too fast paced. I'm more about tighter low speed roads. I had my time shredding ACH though. It was fun on my GSXR600. LOL

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks dude. I'll switch to Rosso 2 at 1000 miles. They're almost $50/set cheaper than S20 right now on Revzilla and I like those tires. I haven't rode GMR in a while. My gf lives in Pomona and we used to ride it often but it's tough with her work schedule now. We don't ride GMR on weekends bc of the wannabe MotoGP riders. Same reason why we avoid the Snake. But we do ride East Malibu often like Tuna Canyon, Piuma Road and Saddle Peak.

And I hate ACH. It's too fast paced. I'm more about tighter low speed roads. I had my time shredding ACH though. It was fun on my GSXR600. LOL
Lots of unchecked egos, man. Never been to East Malibu, but I've watched some videos, and it looks really fun - tight and technical. Definitely gotta check it out.

The Rosso II is 20% cheaper on Revzilla, huh? Decisions, decisions... :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts