Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 51 years old, and I've been layed-up most of the summer with a fractured skull, concussion, and a fractured neck (work accident)... I was recently cleared to go back to work without restrictions. To me this means- I can ride again!!!!! I set-up my new 2019 as what I refer to as the "sport touring edition". I upgraded suspension (front & rear), added adjustable clip-on risers (rising the clip-ons about 2 inches), and added the "endurance" windscreen (2 inches taller). I made the decision to "ride until it hurts", until the snow flies. I rode 216 miles today!!!! I could have easily done another 100 miles. I just ran out of daylight, and warm temperatures. I've owned everything from a Goldwing to a supermoto, and nearly everything in between.... I truly LOVE my R3, and what I can make it into-

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice comeback bud. Glad you have recovered from your brutal injuries. 216 miles is a long R3 run. Did about 150 once and my entire body went numb. R3 love.. Such a friendly and versitile bike. It will do anything you ask of it. With enduro tires and a stiffer suspension it will probably even offroad like a champ.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My days of riding 1000 km in a day are long since past, doesn't matter the bike. A couple hundred are enjoyable, more than that, the bike is in the van.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The rest of the world speaks metric. Most of the world speaks metric.

I've done over 1000 km a day on a 1987 Kawasaki Ninja GPX750 (sport bikes back then were much more ergonomically "standard" in terms of riding position than they are now), and on a 1994 Ninja ZX9R (which was a fast, comfortable couch of a bike).

I have friends that are touring riders, and they laugh at such short rides in a day ... but I'm done with it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The rest of the world speaks metric. Most of the world speaks metric.

I've done over 1000 km a day on a 1987 Kawasaki Ninja GPX750 (sport bikes back then were much more ergonomically "standard" in terms of riding position than they are now), and on a 1994 Ninja ZX9R (which was a fast, comfortable couch of a bike).

I have friends that are touring riders, and they laugh at such short rides in a day ... but I'm done with it.
Met a cool pack of Interstate riders at a gas station.. I ask what Interstate rider..He said sometimes we go through several states a day. They be rocking fully pimped out goldwings.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Google Maps says that the driving distance from the Ontario-Quebec border near Cornwall to the Ontario-Manitoba border near Kenora is 2,113 km and is expected to take 22 h 21 min and that's just to cross one province (Ontario)!

Mind you, go that distance westward again, and you could be somewhere in southern British Columbia, having fully crossed the width of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta in the process.

Covering distance on the TransCanada Highway is not my idea of a good time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good to hear you've recovered. If it's not too personal, feel free to share what happened at work to cause those injuries for the nosy/curious readers.. (me)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Google Maps says that the driving distance from the Ontario-Quebec border near Cornwall to the Ontario-Manitoba border near Kenora is 2,113 km and is expected to take 22 h 21 min and that's just to cross one province (Ontario)!

Mind you, go that distance westward again, and you could be somewhere in southern British Columbia, having fully crossed the width of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta in the process.

Covering distance on the TransCanada Highway is not my idea of a good time.
Ah yes the great white north..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am 51 years old, and I've been layed-up most of the summer with a fractured skull, concussion, and a fractured neck (work accident)... I was recently cleared to go back to work without restrictions. To me this means- I can ride again!!!!! I set-up my new 2019 as what I refer to as the "sport touring edition". I upgraded suspension (front & rear), added adjustable clip-on risers (rising the clip-ons about 2 inches), and added the "endurance" windscreen (2 inches taller). I made the decision to "ride until it hurts", until the snow flies. I rode 216 miles today!!!! I could have easily done another 100 miles. I just ran out of daylight, and warm temperatures. I've owned everything from a Goldwing to a supermoto, and nearly everything in between.... I truly LOVE my R3, and what I can make it into-
Now you just need taller gearing LOL! I know what you mean though -- the R3 is such a nice little platform that can do quite a lot for what it is. I actually think it would make an awesome mini-ADV motor (Yamaha T3, anyone??). If they could build that bike right (similar engineering to the T7) but well under 400 pounds wet and still sell it at a reasonable price...I might bite! Just imagine smashing up a sand dune at about 45 mph atop this little motor singing at 11,000 RPM in second gear :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ya doods. That is some serious mileage. My hands go numb first, then feet, then undercarriage, head is always numb. Within 100 miles my entire body is completely numb. Dead legs and all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice comback bud. Glad you have recovered from your brutal injuries. 216 miles is a long R3 run. Did about 150 once and my entire body went numb. R3 love.. Such a friendly and versitile bike. It will do anything you ask of it. With enduro tires and a stiffer suspension it will probably even offroad like a champ.
I took my stock 2020 R3 down dirt roads & it handled fine, a little squirrely in turns, with a passenger but, if it had enduro tires, it would have been 💯 in its element!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to hear you've recovered. If it's not too personal, feel free to share what happened at work to cause those injuries for the nosy/curious readers.. (me)
I'm a construction Pipefitter, and I had a rigging accident. The structural steel I was rigging off (up in a ceiling) failed..... A piece of channel iron that weighed 31 pounds, came loose, and fell 14 feet landing on my head. I was not wearing a hard hat at the time. I took it off to be able to look up in the ceiling easier. All things considered, that could have easily been a fatality- I'm lucky!!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm a construction Pipefitter, and I had a rigging accident. The structural steel I was rigging off (up in a ceiling) failed..... A piece of channel iron that weighed 31 pounds, came loose, and fell 14 feet landing on my head. I was not wearing a hard hat at the time. I took it off to be able to look up in the ceiling easier. All things considered, that could have easily been a fatality- I'm lucky!!!!
Hmm.. Lets do some math kids..31 lbs of channel iron hitting your head from 14 ft with no hard hat= glad your still with us.. Thats gnarly man.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts