Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just bought a 2019 R3 4th day and lovin it soo light and nimble in traffic,im 53 in portland,oregon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone just bought a 2019 R3 4th day and lovin it soo light and nimble in traffic,im 53 in portland,oregon
Hi there...actually a potential R3 rider here. 56 years old and been out of riding for about 8 for various reasons now want back in! Was looking at 2017 and 2019 R3. Looking to use the bike for street/commuting use only, no racetrack or heavy canyon carving at this time.

I know they modified the 2019+ with lower clip ons and more race oriented riding position. Any thoughts as far as going with the older style vs the new style R3 for my riding preferences? thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 2017 definitely has slightly more relaxed ergos and a plusher front end. I would say it is the better commuter, especially if you daily this bike over longer distances. That and they're probably cheaper to get considering they're older. They otherwise perform pretty much the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great thanks for the response. I found a good deal on a used 2020 R3 recently (owner did not want and traded up to R6) and I also found a better deal on a 2018 R3 with similar mileage. Savings is about $900 between the 2018 and 2020 models. Sat on the 2020 (pristine condition) but haven't checked out the 2018 yet. Will mostly be used for Los Angeles city driving and short commutes with occasional freeway trips.

Are the 2018 and earlier models that much more comfortable than the 2019+ models for what I'm looking to do?

thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would say the posture difference isn't that massive so either would do just fine. If the roads you ride are not great, get the 18. The front end soaks bumps more evenly as it uses single rate springs in the forks. If you ride on pretty nice maintained roads, the 20 has a slightly stiffer suspension setup that would be at home for more technical, spirited riding. It can feel a bit jarring on rough roads as it uses progressive springs up front but I prefer having the feedback. At the end of the day, I say do a test ride on either and see which is the better deal for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would say the posture difference isn't that massive so either would do just fine. If the roads you ride are not great, get the 18. The front end soaks bumps more evenly as it uses single rate springs in the forks. If you ride on pretty nice maintained roads, the 20 has a slightly stiffer suspension setup that would be at home for more technical, spirited riding. It can feel a bit jarring on rough roads as it uses progressive springs up front but I prefer having the feedback. At the end of the day, I say do a test ride on either and see which is the better deal for you.
I'll second this. I've owned both models with a two year lag between ownership, so my recollection of the older model might be slightly hazy. When comparing bikes, I don't think there is a massive difference in the ergonomics, but when you're sat on the thing, visually, the new model definitely feels like a bigger more substantial bike. When cornering, I also feel that I can grip my knee against the tank a bit easier on the new model, and I definitely prefer the suspension on the later model. Overall, it's an evolution vs revolution type of change and even my 2015 model was a wonderfully capable bike.

For commuting, I don't think you could go wrong with either varient.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts