Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Bit of a late introduction but better late than never.

I've been a car guy all my life and recently got into bikes. My wife keeps saying I'm trying to hold on to my youth and she's probably right but hey, there are worse things a man can be doing in his spare time!

Currently I'm restoring an old Datsun and just last week picked up a CB350F project (in addition to my other 350F). I've got more work there than time will permit with a young family but there's no deadline so taking it easy and enjoying the process so far.

I've only been riding for 6 months but I've had the pleasure of owning 3 bikes so far. Hoping the R3 will replace my commuter very soon!

My first bike was a 1976 Honda CT90 with a CT110 engine. It looked fantastic but did not ride well so I sold it. I wish it was a bit safer and more reliable because I would have kept it.

My second bike was a sight-unseen purchase from interstate - a 1972 Honda CB350F. I took a punt and it paid off. The bike is really clean and lovely to ride and work on. I love vintage stuff as it's all built to last - unlike today's plastic disposable generation, they're very serviceable. On the other hand, you do spend more time working on them, which isn't a bad thing if you enjoy it.

After those two bikes I finally bought something sensible which is what I should have started with. I needed a good commuter and something easy to learn on so I picked up a Honda CB125e which is the standard learner bike here in Australia. I bought it to ride to the local train station but one day I was enjoying myself too much and simply rode past the station and all the way to work. I've never looked back. My commute is just under 50km a day in to our CBD and although I've actually really enjoyed the CB125, I have quickly outgrown it which brings me to the R3...

Today I passed our P's test (next stage after learners) which means all testing is done and behind me. It's a liberating feeling. :)

Hope to be on the road with an R3 very soon!

·
Registered
16 Posts
G'day mate, welcome. You can't really go wrong with an R3, absolutely brilliant bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys.

I had my heart set on the 2016 white/red colour but started really digging the blue lately. Then I saw the Movistar replica livery being released this coming week and my inner-teenager fell for it so waiting to see it in person before I decide which way to go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome! The only problem with the R3 is deciding on the color. Those blue rims are great looking. I test rode several bikes before picking my 2015 red beauty. If I was picking a 2016, the matt grey looks great. Good luck on deciding and have fun :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! The only problem with the R3 is deciding on the color. Those blue rims are great looking.
True that, we had only two choices, blue and black. Then again it was difficult. Chose blue at last.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
I was pretty much set on a colour and Yanaha had to go and release the Movistar edition... Now I'm back to square one. At the end of the day it's the same bike and all the colours look great. I guess that's why it's so hard to decide which one to buy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, so much for colour preferences. I ended up buying a 2015 Raven which was at the bottom of my list. No, it wasn't even on the list! Haha. The deal was too good to pass up and it's pretty much a new bike having been used for only 2 months.

Let the modding begin! On order is a TST tail tidy and the Womet-Tech protection package, some shorty levers and the reason I bought the Raven, a globe decal kit.

First service this weekend and then some riding. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers!

Last night I sold the little white Honda. It was a fun bike to learn on and I loved the nimbleness for city traffic.

Last week I bought a Raven R3. :) Currently busy applying a full body decal kit on it. Will post pics once its done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts