Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! New rider here, just picked up my brand spanking new 2017 R3 matte black with ABS last weekend. I've ridden it everyday since. Got it as a learner bike and loving it so far. I'm kind of already itching for more power on the straightaways and highways, but I love the fact that I can basically red-line this thing and push it hard without getting into too much trouble.

Today I took it out on some twisties, getting a feel for the cornering.. man this thing can really go around turns once you get the hang of the counter steering and leaning off the bike a little bit. Even this little R3 is way more capable than I am, thats for sure.

Also - I've heard people complain about the brakes being a little bit mushy, and I will say they do feel that way at first. But I did some test stops in the parking lot at around 30mph and let me tell you, THIS THING CAN STOP QUICK. I have ABS so I basically just jammed on the brakes, and felt the rear while skid a bit and regain control. It is nice to know that I can hit the brakes HARD if I really need to.

OK, here it is!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new bike.

The R3's brakes are adequate but far from fantastic. I'm sure ABS helps a bit in terms of stopping distance but the first time you have a true "oh sh!t" moment, you'll see the immediate need for better braking.
I always rode the R3 with the braking ability in mind as to avoid bad situations as much as possible. Now that I've felt great brakes, I'd have a hard time going back.

You're thread title says you're a new rider. If this is in fact true, just take it slow. The R3 is not crazy fast but it's definitely capable of getting you into trouble quick.

Ride safe, have fun and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new bike.

The R3's brakes are adequate but far from fantastic. I'm sure ABS helps a bit in terms of stopping distance but the first time you have a true "oh sh!t" moment, you'll see the immediate need for better braking.
I always rode the R3 with the braking ability in mind as to avoid bad situations as much as possible. Now that I've felt great brakes, I'd have a hard time going back.

You're thread title says you're a new rider. If this is in fact true, just take it slow. The R3 is not crazy fast but it's definitely capable of getting you into trouble quick.

Ride safe, have fun and welcome to the forum!
Good point. I haven't ridden other bikes so I have nothing to compare it to. I wish I could try out other ones and compare but no one seems to want a new rider test ride an R6 :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would second Aeson advise, definitely get used to the bike, the handling before even thinking about moving to a bigger bike. I know the itch is strong but you’ll appreciate it down the line. Congrats on the bike? Did you start looking at mods to do already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would second Aeson advise, definitely get used to the bike, the handling before even thinking about moving to a bigger bike. I know the itch is strong but you’ll appreciate it down the line. Congrats on the bike? Did you start looking at mods to do already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I'm practicing counter steering and stuff, man it turns so well once you master that. I'm definitely going to do the fender eliminator. I'm thinking about the exhaust also, but at $600... it seems like a lot of money to just make the bike sound more like a rice rocket.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yea I'm practicing counter steering and stuff, man it turns so well once you master that. I'm definitely going to do the fender eliminator. I'm thinking about the exhaust also, but at $600... it seems like a lot of money to just make the bike sound more like a rice rocket.
consider TST Industries for fender kit, they have the nicest option i believe.. when you take the stock fender off, there's a sizeable gap that opens up.. and 90% of the fender eliminator kits out there don't do anyhting to fill the gap..

TST's fender eliminator seals it up and matches the OEM plastic making it look like it was driven off the lot like that

I'm wanting to get a stainless full akrapovic system but i fear it will audibly grab the attention of law enforcement which I'd hate to have to pull and replace so many times to get the fix it signed off (full exhaust mod on bikes 2013+ is fully illegal now in CA)

I already don't want police to get behind me because my beautiful TST integrated tail light makes my bike illegal as I've removed the OEM turn signals... I could keep the tail light and simply add some LED turn signals at least 9 inches apart, but it looks SO much better without! The programmed sequential blink in the tail light is actually very good at indicating to drivers very clearly which direction you intend on merging

CA laws are so bogus but the one that makes up for everything is lane splitting being legal.. not sure if I'd want to commute on a bike without this

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome to the R3! If you're into the social side of riding check out Austin Sportbike Riders (more squids who talk a lot of smack) or TXSR - Texas Sportbike Riders (more older, ATGATT riders). Also, start planning your first trackday! Ridesmart does half off and free leathers and boots on your first trip out.

Ride safe! It's crazy here in ATX.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Greetings from Houston. Congrats on the R3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts