Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand spanking new rider here. Wrote my M1 on July 22nd and signed up for the safety course this coming weekend and couldn't be more excited. Never been on a bike before but have some sled experience.

With the help of my father-in-law I purchased my first bike this weekend, a 2015 YZF-R3 in red. The dealership is going to deliver it this coming Thursday and they promised to not put more than 3kms on it doing the PDI.

Can't wait to get insurance and plates on it after I finish my course and get out on the road to break it in (hopefully not to break it).

Anybody else in Ottawa?

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
No but I'm in Ontario (Burlington) though. Good to hear you're doing the safety course. One piece of advice - don't skimp on your gear. Get full gear (pants AND a jacket), proper boots that cover your ankles too. Met a girl on an R6 when I was taking my M2 test and she had been down on her bike once and only reason she walked away was because she had full gear on. I won't ride anywhere unless I have all my gear on. It could mean the difference between a couple scrapes / bruises or a serious broken foot / knee or a bunch of skin lost. Can't understand guys that ride in t shirts / shorts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bike showed up last night and its now sitting in the garage patiently waiting for me to finish the course so I can get insurance and take her out for the first time.

I picked up an armoured jacked and good leather gloves. Haven't found good pants yet as the pickings are a bit slim up here in Ottawa. Only a couple shops carry gear and those that do have a limited selection with enormous mark-up.

For the course this weeknd I'll be in my heaviest jeans and some hiking boots. Might have to cave and order pants / boots off of www.canadasmotorcycle.ca and hope they fit well.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I have a pair of 'Draggin Jeans' that are very comfortable. They are Kevlar lined in the knees and hips - most important pieces. You can buy the armour for the knees and hips (I have the knee armour) but I find it a bit unfortable in hot weather right now as the armour sticks to your knees. But, those were my first pants. Read the reviews on Revzilla and watch the videos - they are pretty good about describing the fit. For the jeans I bought, they are pretty true to size, maybe a touch small (I bought a 32 waist but they are a bit tighter than all my other 32" waist regular jeans). They also ride a touch higher on the waist. But they are great jeans and much more protective than 'normal' jeans. Normal ones will be fine for the course, just get something better for riding. Trust me on this - was talking to another local guy who told me he went down and the jeans did literally nothing and his knee was totally gashed up. There was another guy here who posted about it and it looked ugly - I went and bought my pants the next day.

You don't need to spend a fortune - just get what you can afford as long as its protective. Try also kijiji - I found my boots there for 150 and they are just like brand new. Might take awhile to find used stuff in your size but its there, just keep looking.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update time!

Well, the course was a steep learning curve for me as I have never operated a manual transmission. Saturday was rough, but by Sunday I was up to speed and was able to pass my the M2 test no problem. Insured my bike, got plates, and took it out on the roads around my neighbourhood and fell in love.

Unfortunately we then got a couple days of rain and then I left for a week at the cottage.

Back now and have been commuting to work and taking the long way home to get some KMs in. I've got 200k on it now and getting much more comfortable. Raining today so I took my car to work and I'm missing it already.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts