Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm a complete beginner rider. I just bought my 2018 R3 2 weeks ago and have been riding pretty much everyday provided nice weather. The bike was pretty new out of the dealership (only 600 miles on the odo) so I don't typically check anything except for fuel before riding.The other day I was on my usual route coming up to a right turn I decided to tackle it with slightly higher speed than usual (I think I ended up doing ~35-40mph instead of doing my normal 20-25). Don't know if I exaggerated this since I didn't look at the speed, but bottom line is I had to lean harder whereas I barely needed an angle normally. I felt pretty good going into the lean, even though it was a little scary, but it felt stable enough at least going through the first 1/3 of the curve, and I was also pretty constant on the throttle (I was rolling on a bit but I don't think it was abrupt). I freaked me out a little when I felt the bike wobble at around the apex. Seemed to me at the time that it came from the rear wheel. I was literally like a quick left-right movement but I didn't stay to figure out whether it would continue if I kept leaning. I ended up reducing the lean and went a little wide over the center line (fortunately no traffic around, and thank the good lord I didn't panic hit the front brake).

I've been thinking that it might just be a little bump on the road that caused this. But it doesn't sit quite right because as I said it was my usual route and my impression on this turn was that the surface was quite good. I wonder if it could've been something I did wrong. I looked at some of the threads in this forum and people say it could be improper handlebar input. I tried to describe the event best I could to maybe get a few advice on how I should've done better. Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It sounds like your rear tire might have lost grip for just a second, slid slightly toward the outside of the curve, and then caught, thus causing your weight to shift toward the outside of the corner momentarily and then back due to your automatic reflex. That and/or a ripple or two in the pavement and/or a moment of rear wheelspin (caused by low grip level, lean angle, and/or ripples or bumps)...

Of course, this is merely speculation based on your description. I wasn't there and could never say for sure :)

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2022 Trident 660
88 Posts
If it ran over a rock...

The other day in the mid turn with pretty good lean my front tire went over a manhole cover on a warm sunny day and it slipped. Fortunately the bike stayed up but it surprised me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I get that too when I take a sharp turn on this curve with some painted arrows..I think it's the rear wheel slipping. Check your tire pressure too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts