Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey yall. I haven't bought a bike yet but I'm really thinking about an r3. I've heard some talk about a 300 not being the best fit for a heavier person. I'm 250 ish lbs and 5 8. I've never driven a motorcycle so I don't really now much about the subject and am quite frankly confused on if I should get something a little stronger or not. I've wanted a bike for years and can finally afford one I'm looking forward to joining the community soon. Also I'm 20 and trying to find good insurance that won't make it jump

·
Super Moderator
1,172 Posts
The R3's Maximum Load (rider, passenger, riding gear, cargo & accessories) is 353 lbs. New riders are faced with the same basic issues: ease of maneuvering of the bike, enough, but not too much, available power, dependability and operational costs, ergonomics and how well the bike 'fit's the rider, and since nobody wants to ride an "ugly bike"... looks.
Your concerns are valid and it's good that you're thinking ahead. You may also look at the R3's sister bike. The MT-03 has a more relaxed riding position, but is mechanically an R3.

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2020 Husq Vit 401
118 Posts
R3 is an excellent first bike. I am 5’7” and 125lbs. But after 2 months i started feeling it was slow.
Ninja 400 has little more power but still you will want to move up within 6 months.
So if you want to save money, find a used R3.
what i didnt realize when i decided to get a new R3 was even if the used one is $4500 and new one is $5300 the cost difference is not $800. It is more than $1700 because dealer charges close to $1000 for destination fee + set up fee + documentation fee on a new bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R3 is an excellent first bike. I am 5’7” and 125lbs. But after 2 months i started feeling it was slow.
Ninja 400 has little more power but still you will want to move up within 6 months.
what i didnt realize when i decided to get a new R3 was even if the used one is $4500 and new one is $5300 the cost difference is not $800. It is more than $1700 because dealer charges close to $1000 for destination fee + set up fee + documentation fee on a new bike.
Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to find a used one but most of the closest ones I've seen are in texas (about a 6 hr drive) but that's not to bad so I'll keep looking for one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey yall. I haven't bought a bike yet but I'm really thinking about an r3. I've heard some talk about a 300 not being the best fit for a heavier person. I'm 250 ish lbs and 5 8. I've never driven a motorcycle so I don't really now much about the subject and am quite frankly confused on if I should get something a little stronger or not. I've wanted a bike for years and can finally afford one I'm looking forward to joining the community soon. Also I'm 20 and trying to find good insurance that won't make it jump
A couple things:
1. Take the MSF course before you buy anything, so (i) you don't kill yourself on the road, & (ii) at least you'll be able to test drive used bikes.
2. Invest in a very good full face helmet (I have both Shoei RF1200 or RF1400), an armored, hi-vis jacket (AlpineStars gear is great), over-the-ankle boots, and motorcycle gloves. Most of the yahoos on Dan the Fireman's YouTube channel "best accidents of...so&so month/year" are wearing t-shirts, shorts & flipflops and they are not happy after they land on the asphalt. BTW, you can improve your riding & safety skills by watching a few YouTube videos on trailbraking, turns & cornering, and the "crash after action review" videos. Most bike fatalities occur at intersections & oncoming vehicles making left hand turns into your path of travel.
3. Yamaha just came out with the 2022 R7, which was supposed to be an upgraded R6 track/street bike, but it's just a MT07 with fairings = less cc/hp than an R6. So, I'd not waste money on that bike.
4. My stepson has a 2019 R3 that he bought new as his first bike. He loves it. I've taken it out a few times, and got it up over 110mph on the interstate (I'm 6'2, 235#) with no problems. What the R3 loses in torque since it's a 321cc bike, it makes up for because it's a lighter bike. The handling at both low & high speeds are fine, and my kid's bike get 58-60mpg vs 30mpg on my R1.
5. Practice progressive braking, downshifting, and ride like you are invisible to the other cars & trucks on the road.
Good luck & be safe!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got mine, a 2015, it's my first bike and I think I got a good deal. The PO laid it down so it needs a fairing kit (only one piece is damaged but an excuse to get the color scheme I want) a new clutch lever and passenger foot peg... Although replacing those would be a purely asthetic move as there's no way anyone's getting on the back... Possibly forks replaced for good measure? The guy wanted 1K, I talked him down to $600. What do you think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 5'2 and probably 110lbs...Mine is not "just my size" it's a teeny bit on the big side for me, but I would think someone with your stature would feel like it was too small. My friend who is about 6'3 looks pretty ridiculous on mine. But... the only way to tell for sure is to try it right? Let us know what you decide to do. :)

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2020 Husq Vit 401
118 Posts
I just got mine, a 2015, it's my first bike and I think I got a good deal. The PO laid it down so it needs a fairing kit (only one piece is damaged but an excuse to get the color scheme I want) a new clutch lever and passenger foot peg... Although replacing those would be a purely asthetic move as there's no way anyone's getting on the back... Possibly forks replaced for good measure? The guy wanted 1K, I talked him down to $600. What do you think?
That is an amazing deal!
How many miles?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts