Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.
Just wanted to introduce myself. This is my 31st year riding street bikes. Rode 600cc sport bikes the entire time. I always told myself when the bike was the limiting factor... I would move to a liter bike. In 30 years the technology just kept getting better and better so I was never able to out ride the bike.

My wife has a Kawi 300. Riding her bike, I was able to leave my buddies on 600-1000 in the dust on tight twisting roads. I really fell in love with her bike (and her... she is a great lady).

After selling my CBR600rr... I was in the market for a small cc bike. Unfortunately, Kawi color schemes did not float my boat. I liked the Yamaha colors. After a test ride.... I am the proud owner of an R3 "GoFasta" machine. :)

A word of encouragement for new riders... These bikes are pure love. A great bike to learn on... and as your experience grows... a FANTASTIC bike to drag a knee on. :)

Bigger isn't better. Better, is better :). 0 buyers remorse from me. It's a step sideways not a step down from a 600. Just a different riding style... and a light little 300 is better in the corners where it counts. I love my Yamaha... (actually I love my wife's Kawi too, lol). Oh yeah and 1/2 the insurance and gets 55Mpg... what is not to love about these machines :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It's a step sideways not a step down from a 600. Just a different riding style... and a light little 300 is better in the corners where it counts. I love my Yamaha. Oh yeah and 1/2 the insurance and gets 55Mpg... what is not to love about these machines.
I agree.
Welcome to the R3 club!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
This is my 31st year riding street bikes. Rode 600cc sport bikes the entire time. I always told myself when the bike was the limiting factor... I would move to a liter bike.
Yeah, wrong philosophy, amigo.

You get a literbike because you want gut-wrenching torque when you twist the throttle.
( If that happens to be your "thing". )

Lots of smaller bikes are great apex-strafing weapons.
But the literbike is all about brute force acceleration!

I appreciate both sides of the coin.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome from England.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I was in the market for a small cc bike. Unfortunately, Kawi color schemes did not float my boat.
I think they do this on purpose for the "cheaper" machine below the 636. The sticker schemes are like, o_O. It also kept me out of the N300 camp. I also ditched Yamaha 600cc for R3, no regrets.

Welcome!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
you live in BC? noticed in Roscco's thread that you are very familiar with the roads in the province, I myself am from Vancouver!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
torrid_pace, Yup I'm from Abbotsford. I'm much more familiar with the roads east of Van (in the valley) than West of it. But both directions have great roads :)

I have been reading around in the forum... The R3 is marketed to new riders but I have noticed lots of very experienced riders on the forum. 50/50 split (as far as those that are posting). Looks like KTM, Yamaha and Kawi hit a sweet spot with the 300cc bikes. Appeals to both ends of the riding spectrum.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Howdy all.
Just wanted to introduce myself. This is my 31st year riding street bikes. Rode 600cc sport bikes the entire time. I always told myself when the bike was the limiting factor... I would move to a liter bike. In 30 years the technology just kept getting better and better so I was never able to out ride the bike.

My wife has a Kawi 300. Riding her bike, I was able to leave my buddies on 600-1000 in the dust on tight twisting roads. I really fell in love with her bike (and her... she is a great lady).

After selling my CBR600rr... I was in the market for a small cc bike. Unfortunately, Kawi color schemes did not float my boat. I liked the Yamaha colors. After a test ride.... I am the proud owner of an R3 "GoFasta" machine. :)

A word of encouragement for new riders... These bikes are pure love. A great bike to learn on... and as your experience grows... a FANTASTIC bike to drag a knee on. :)

Bigger isn't better. Better, is better :). 0 buyers remorse from me. It's a step sideways not a step down from a 600. Just a different riding style... and a light little 300 is better in the corners where it counts. I love my Yamaha... (actually I love my wife's Kawi too, lol). Oh yeah and 1/2 the insurance and gets 55Mpg... what is not to love about these machines :)
Welcome! If you live in any kind of large city, these are about as fun as it gets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts